SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #12,736 of 45,723
The DAP is already capable of interfacing and performing digital file transfer with a PC over USB, I don't see why it needs more converter chips.

Logically speaking the S-Master wouldn't care as it would be fetching and decoding the file from some sort of local memory buffer inside the DAP, I can't see any competent engineer would make something that decodes from a straight raw digital signal.

I'm not technically competent enough to argue what is involved in transferring a music signal over usb as opposed to file transfer but I'm confident that it is a bit more complex that what you describe

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #12,737 of 45,723
I'm not technically competent enough to argue what is involved in transferring a music signal over usb as opposed to file transfer but I'm confident that it is a bit more complex that what you describe

There is no "music signal" over USB. it's all the same as everything is digital, the only difference is the transfer protocol that is used and whether the device can support that protocol.
The original statement was that there's no "digital receiver chip" inside the WM1 - but there's really no such thing in light of the WM1 being able to perform file transfer in an active state (compared to say a thumb drive which are dumb devices). As the WM1 can switch between modes and has a build in card reader (further more, it can open up the card reader to the host PC when connected via USB), thus there's obviously a USB host controller in there that can switch between operation modes. So my statement still stands - the WM1 can already receive files over USB, there's no reason it needs more chips/hardware. The real issue is whether the host controller inside the WM1 can be further re-programmed to support the correct protocol to act as a USB DAC.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #12,738 of 45,723
All,

A quick question about the remote. Using the US Sony NW-WM1Z model, I cannot see the remote come up on the Bluetooth devices list.
The matter of fact is I cannot see it come up on my Bluetooth device list on my Mac either.

Appreciate your help,
Ofir

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #12,740 of 45,723
I love to see a modded like redwieaduio mod the wm1a. It has potential. The repair manual for wm1a is out and it doesn't look too complicated.

Several here have already modded the 1Z

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #12,741 of 45,723
Zx300 seems to be a big meh, just like zx100 did, an more affordable. "wm1a" but likely with lesser SQ

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #12,742 of 45,723
Love the Utopia so much that I just finished converting my Z1R cables toward Utopia cables. Copper Edition :D for affordability lol

IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #12,743 of 45,723
The DAP is already capable of interfacing and performing digital file transfer with a PC over USB, I don't see why it needs more converter chips.

Logically speaking the S-Master wouldn't care as it would be fetching and decoding the file from some sort of local memory buffer inside the DAP, I can't see any competent engineer would make something that decodes from a straight raw digital signal.
Man, you are making me to keep my hope up ! Lol. If it really is what you just said, then I am confident that the S-Master Hi-def inside the WM series are totally capable of further programming to allow USB DAC features as it is currently the Flagship S-Master design ATM from Sony

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #12,744 of 45,723
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #12,745 of 45,723
Maybe the zx00 versions are test beds for ture flagship models.

Zx100 test bed for Sony OS on a "zx2" hardware, thus WM series came out

Perhaps zx300 is the test bed for USB DAC function and next year or two we will see the Sony Walkman. Anniversary Edition with USB DAC

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #12,746 of 45,723
Maybe the zx00 versions are test beds for ture flagship models.

Zx100 test bed for Sony OS on a "zx2" hardware, thus WM series came out

Perhaps zx300 is the test bed for USB DAC function and next year or two we will see the Sony Walkman. Anniversary Edition with USB DAC

Probably so, but WM series is Flagship from Sony ? WalkMan is litterally the (WM)

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #12,747 of 45,723
All,

A quick question about the remote. Using the US Sony NW-WM1Z model, I cannot see the remote come up on the Bluetooth devices list.
The matter of fact is I cannot see it come up on my Bluetooth device list on my Mac either.

Appreciate your help,
Ofir

There should be a "remote control settings " option in the menu
But US ver removed that function as I recalled? Ain't sure

Do a FW hack and change the region to international should bring back the option

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #12,748 of 45,723
Are you guys Hyped on the new ZX300? I am not as i have my trustworthy 1A. while USB DAC is certainly a plus, i am not so thrilled, perhaps because the update lifecycle is so fast.
moreover I bet the WM1A and Z will still be the Kings. I see the ZX300 ans in the middle of A30/40 and WM1x

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #12,749 of 45,723
Are you guys Hyped on the new ZX300? I am not as i have my trustworthy 1A. while USB DAC is certainly a plus, i am not so thrilled, perhaps because the update lifecycle is so fast
I am very happy with my Wm1z, USB DAC will certainly help, but with mid-tier level of sound performances, it is but just another "niche". However, I am thrilled that Walkman and Sony is trying to do more and more as the years is progressing, and I am happy to see that Sony is coming back, being stronger and better

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #12,750 of 45,723
I am very happy with my Wm1z, USB DAC will certainly help, but with mid-tier level of sound performances, it is but just another "niche". However, I am thrilled that Walkman and Sony is trying to do more and more as the years is progressing, and I am happy to see that Sony is coming back, being stronger and better
Yup, i don't use an USB DAC. I had a Fiio x3 but rarely used it, seems tempting in the scenario of avoiding swapping 4.4mm to regular 3.5mm cables but certainly i can buy a set of sony $20 buds and use that for Laptop.

As you say, is nice to see sony renovating the walkman after years of being stuck in a tut, good that sony is finally catching up with the competition (fiio, A&K (don't know if these have usb dac))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back