SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #4,321 of 45,723
If your concern is to keep your ears as a baby then best not use an iem period. Use a headphone for one hour per day at low volume. Even doing that you will lose upper freq by the age of 25.

It's actually the opposite - because headphone has wave energy lost due to the extra distance between the driver and the eardrums, most people unconsciously turns up the volume to compensate for the lost of detail in the music and thus ends up listening at a louder volume than they would with IEMs.  

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #4,322 of 45,723
It's actually the opposite - because headphone has wave energy lost due to the extra distance between the driver and the eardrums, most people unconsciously turns up the volume to compensate for the lost of detail in the music and thus ends up listening at a louder volume than they would with IEMs.  

Yeah, and that is why to my ears, headphones are more enjoyable than IEMS :), not to mention soundstage and presentation

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #4,323 of 45,723
In my admittedly limited experience with the 1Z, it sounds very thick and slow when new. About 100 hours of run in later (as per the last demo unit I tried), I found the sound to be a lot leaner and faster with details being pushed out more prominently which may provide the impression of a brighter sound.

Well the reviewer stated that the wms are not fully burn in.

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #4,324 of 45,723
https://twitter.com/flubber777/status/795561207939768321

Nice case, would buy but still just a prototype for the time being. 

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #4,326 of 45,723
  Got home and was greeted by a little accessory package that I ordered from Japan. 

The official remote, the official WM-Port to micro-USB converter, and a tempered glass screen protector (already applied in the photo)
The remote is an awesome accessory that I've been dying to get my hands on, especially when the 1Z stays in my messenger bag when I commute.  

A very high quality protector for 1000yen IMO, very high transparency, easy to apply, doesn't affect touch response at all and finger prints don't stick. Good stuff.

Please could you give the link for the screen protector? Thanks :)

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #4,328 of 45,723
  Guys, so where can you buy an unacpped 1a from right now?

​As i have repeated over and over (with english or not?) then accessoryJack, if you can read Japanese then priceJapan, amazon US has one thrid party seller sold fpr 1400

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #4,330 of 45,723

I am currently having some out-of-the-box listening with the above gear. (For anyone asking, the ones at the bottom from left to right are A35, A16 and Hifiman SuperMini)

I am using Grado HF-1 modded with Turbulent Labs Hydra Go cable. These cans are - as expected from a mid-range Grado - are fun sounding with a transparent presentation. However, they are only moderately resolving records, and they do not present instruments with a meaty body that especially some reference headphones are capable of. (like a relatively cheap Audio Technica R70X)
The sound of HF-1 is definitely not analytical, so does not reveal the true potential of these players.

I had some A-B testing among various players, and even through Grado's, the difference between the low-tier Sony's and WM series is obvious.

My two years old Japanese A16 sounds obsolete compared even to A35, and the difference grows with WM series as expected. ​Reason i sold my A17

I am going to write more on the differences between A16 and A35 in the A30 series thread, however I can talk a bit of them compared to WM series.

I am currently using "WM series" on purpose, since these two players rise a class up from the rest, including ZX1.

A16, the worst of the bunch, simply sounds highly veiled and unrealistic compared to WM series which do present a very clear sound with percievably more realistic instrumental depiction.
​You're dexcribing exactly what i felt with my ZX100 before it failed, had a very organic sound, bus like you say, I expect the WM1A i ordered to e far superior even to zx100

The area between the instruments in the sound of WM series Walkman's is successfully bordered with good channel separation and is filled with air, whereas in A16 the separation is not that clear, causing congestion especially in some more complex musical passages. ​Same as above with zx100 nice separation, but i bet the supercap does something to zx2 & WM1

The soundstage is more laid-back in A16, and the instrument size is quite smaller. They lack body. However, in terms of the size of the soundstage, A16 still keeps on doing a good job.
​Agree with you on this the A10 does a better job in staging and sizing tan the so called "audiophile-grade" Fiio x3 first gen

In fact, all the Sony players here do a decent job in presenting a well-sized soundstage.

I didn't give much listen to A35, but at first look A35 seems to present a similar presentation to WM series (which I think is a good thing). It has a more forward sound than A16 with better separation and more pinpoint imaging. Yet, it simply lacks especially the performance of WM series in upper frequencies.

​As expected the A30 is the new "mid-tier" i knew it won't handle higher frequencies as good as a WM series, i bet it's on the OS-CONS and FT-Caps

ZX1 on the other hand is also quite away from WM series, despite being a relatively clear sounding player itself. WM series simply have more body to sound and instruments, more detail, and more crisp, lifelike sound.

Over a decade I've listened to dozens of portable players, and I believe that "accurate" ambient detail is one of the main characteristics that set the upper class players apart from the rest.

There are players with somewhat boosted treble sections (like Ibasso DX90) which produces a sense of ambient detail, however mostly leading to some side effects in their sounds, like DX90 to sound -even very slightly- artificial.

Maybe this is one of the crucial differences between WM players here and the others. WM1A and 1Z present you with plenty of ambient detail ; the echoes in a studio record, back-side conversations that slipped into the record, or the talks between the crowd in live recordings. And these detail are presented very naturally ; they sound like real, not some digital simulation.

And despite the case that the players are in the baby steps of burn-in at the moment, I think this is also the very part that WM1Z shows its superiority over its cheaper sibling 1A.

1A sounds very detailed in upper registers and in "the ambient detail" section, but the detail as well as the instruments are presented more naturally with 1Z. I believe this difference would go up once you use more resolving cans, especially some sensitive iem / ciems. But, even with a mid-rier Grado there is difference right now, yes.

And for ones who may be curious, I used ZX2 for a couple of months last year, and 1A seems to be technically superior to it if I remember correctly. I published a very detailed review of Sony players on a Turkish site last year, and as far as I remember, the difference between A16 and ZX2 was not that dramatic compared to the one between A16 and 1A. However, my advice is to take this comment with a grain of salt for the moment.

(By the way, I must say WM players (especially 1Z) sounded a tad bit brighter from what I expected.) That's interesting in fact i tought copper made it warmer

And though my 1A and 1Z are capped, they provide enough listening levels (with direct sound mode) with 32 ohm / 98dB Grado's. They can sound plenty loud with iem's of high SPL.

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #4,331 of 45,723

​which partitas the ones for Keyboard or the ones for Violin(JS Bach)?

keyboard, it is one of the song in this album series, sadly the meta data for the sony file is missing so I cant pin-point it. I will buy this album for sure and report back later.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/88843036822

​Nice I have never Heard the Partitas on the piano, only on their intended original instrument: the Harpsichord, my dad has one in 24-bit of these partitas on the harpsichord i would ask him  for it

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #4,332 of 45,723

Please could you give the link for the screen protector? Thanks :)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01M725624/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #4,335 of 45,723
actually I am thinking whether did they post the information wrongly because the price of that is same as the old m12sm2 (but they used the m12sb1 on the page for sm2 as well)

nonetheless shall wait for you to report back further findings.

but as of now I can only find that china are selling the sony 4.4mm kimber cable cheaper than japan.

Do you know what the MUC-M12SM2 ​cable looks like since they used the same photo as the B1 cable. I am assuming it is MMCX with 3.5mm TRS jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back