SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #34,681 of 45,723
Technically true. The question is to what extent that non optimal is audible though. To some it will be sometimes but to most it probably won’t be

1st gen digital was poor, but as processing and algorithmic tech progresses there is less audible artifact. As always there are debates on such things and that is why there is such passion in the Sound Science forum

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #34,682 of 45,723
Technically true. The question is to what extent that non optimal is audible though. To some it will be sometimes but to most it probably won’t be
There are 2 key factors
a/ Phase timing accuracy.
b/ Modulated Pulses Width Accuracy

If the timing is wrong, then the music will sound artificially reproduced. It is not that it won’t make music. It will, but the Errors corrections will have filtered out so much that the Timbres isn’t authentic or realistic anymore.

If the Pulses are not accurate, then being Over sampled, and compared, the Error corrections will correct it again. But this time it will be done with “Shaping and filtering”. Basically, the Shaping is random noises, and hence the filtering has different (Techniques). At this point, we call it “Digital Filtering”

All in all, both will happen in a senses that the timbres will be off, the imagines will be off, the harshness will begin to be observable, and everything sounds “soulless” or “not emotionally connected”

Sony has taken “steps” to negate these effects.

1/ Timing errors are negated not by the Crystal Oscillators, but by using PML capacitors. Imagines you have water flowing at the source without vibrations, then you will have a kid holding the hose in the middle and vibrate it....the water at the end Of the hose will be vibrating when it comes out. “These Kids are Ceramic capacitors and Tantalum capacitors”, and the end of the hose will then be connected to your Processor to be converted....So, using PML, the Piezoelectric (vibrations) is negated and in the end achieved better accuracy.

2/ Pulses accuracy...this will still have timing involved, but the Energy density itself are much more important. So, to counter this effects, Sony has incorporated “Super Capacitors” at the processors. This is to make sure that Energy Density is always at peaks for better accuracy

1st gen digital was poor, but as processing and algorithmic tech progresses there is less audible artifact. As always there are debates on such things and that is why there is such passion in the Sound Science forum
majority of them are “keyboard warriors”

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #34,686 of 45,723
Hi there

I have been reading some of this massive thread and see that there used to be custom firmware available for the WM1A/Z that was designed by some clever people on the forum. Question is... Is it still available?

I have two WM1A in my collection. One is stock and the other has the K-Mod Ultimate and I would be very interested in trying out different FW.

Thanks
Jon

Mar 19, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #34,687 of 45,723
For anybody using Solis on a non tier 5 setup: I noticed that the vinyl processor(mine set to standard) can be very effective in improving synergy (for me 1Z/ex1000). Made me also switch back from CEV to J region. Great sub bass now with all the firmware tuning benefits of J region:)

Mar 19, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #34,688 of 45,723
For anybody using Solis on a non tier 5 setup: I noticed that the vinyl processor(mine set to standard) can be very effective in improving synergy (for me 1Z/ex1000). Made me also switch back from CEV to J region. Great sub bass now with all the firmware tuning benefits of J region:)

It is highly recommended even suggested to use only J with custom fw as that is how they were all tuned...

With stock fw you can play with regions as thats how you can tune the stock fw sound...

Mar 19, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #34,689 of 45,723
All mod-firmwares are tuned and based on J-region. However, due to different characteristic, you can always synergies and blend your gears, cables with other regions too.

But all in all, when needles finding in a hay stack, the general picture is that you would want to have your player the same as mine in order to take full advantages. I use IER-Z1R with modified acoustic foams, and only stock cables.

That is also why I categorized it into “Tier” and “Specific Hardcoded Regions”

The firmware 3.01 is also tuned based on “J-Region”....however, remember that I am tuning it, so I can blend and complement the Regions itself.

Excuse me, but I'm a bit confused, (must be the virus) is this new 3.01 different from SONY's official 3.01?

Mar 19, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #34,690 of 45,723
Sure I get it. It’s due to the nature of the specific firmware. But Jupiter 3.01 is out of this world on its own. And I sounds better on J region. I had it on CEV but it sounded a little off in the mids and highs. With J it’s almost perfection to me. Oh that bass. You outdid yourselves on this @Whitigir and @Morbideath kudos.
CEV suffers from ocluded highs! CN could be the closet maybe J also but CN will be piercing... like very lol you can also try U and maybe E2 if you dont mind the reberb?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #34,691 of 45,723
What you guys think? Is that some good art ???

DSCF5765.jpg

Mar 19, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #34,693 of 45,723
Mar 19, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #34,694 of 45,723
A person after my own heart lol

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #34,695 of 45,723
I meantd that the hole thingg was black but i will use this for a while lol!ist very nice, also want to clarify averyone recieving a gift that i made that using EQ i plan to do a direct source chart soon for the rest who does not eq, it refers more at what its capable with eq and what its limited to not so much as sound in direct mode!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back