SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #37,006 of 45,723
That's what I was wondering about but couldn't express in a post on the ZX300 thread.
What is the limitations of the hardware, and what can be achieved with tunings, but your post sort made sense to me. I have experimented with a couple of ZX300 tuning mods and as much as I have enjoyed some aspects of them I have realised the limitations of what the ZX300 can achieve sound wise.

Regardless of their players.......listeners are listening for tone and of course detail and other abilities. As many don’t like to EQ....... the firmwares can offer attributes which can’t be achieved simply by EQ. I have tried to explain the personality of the 1Z that makes me admire it.

There are probably people in this very thread that could explain the actual hardware aspects of each player and how the hardware affects the over-all sound; but I’m not an expert in any way on the subject.

Each player does have it’s own personality and each owner has a direction they would want the player to go towards sonic wise. There is also a list of adjectives which could go to the bottom of the page in a post to describe audiophile attributes. When we are describing differences or changes here we are really tree topping and leaving most ideas left out.

But for each person there would be similarly valuable traits and other “higher-on-the-list” traits someone else may want. In so many ways the 1A and ZX300 are on opposite poles with the 1Z kind of in the middle? The ZX300 is dark, at least the time I heard it. So some would value making it seem brighter and faster. To me at times even the 1Z sounds better if the firmware changes it to a brighter and more nimble response. Then of course there are those which admire a more sleepy and laggy bass response. So it’s all subjective to a point.

Some equipment is always going to have a personality which is beyond the firmwares ability to change. I mean what we are dealing with is software and hardware working together to arrive at something. But knowing the limitations of the player may be something learned. Meaning if your entertained all is well. Many have sold their gear as they simply didn’t need the more capable sound. I’m pretty much at the point you do get what you pay for, but of how much value that percent is....can always be a question of practicality. Is the 1Z 5X better than the ZX300? No. But the people that value what it can do outside and above the latest firmware are willing to pay for that small percentage.

It’s also very much a concept of synergy where at times the firmware, IEMs and player can get to a special place beyond what was expected. If that’s also the style of sound the owner wanted, it’s a win,win situation.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #37,007 of 45,723
This discussion reminds me of my decision to upgrade from my last ak240 to wm1z (instead of the numerous versions of the ak380) cuz I felt that the AK market strategy lures their customers to keep spending to upgrade (every few months).
I was like "Okay I've enough of that! I will switch to Sony because they seem to take good care of their loyal customers and continue to gift them what they look for without pushing them to upgrade their gears continuously."
And that was one of the best decisions I made :wink:
Not only AK. Also fiio is doing this and IMO al well-known brands from China are doing this. They're acting like Intel, PC makers and cell phone makers

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #37,008 of 45,723
Regardless of their players.......listeners are listening for tone and of course detail and other abilities. As many don’t like to EQ....... the firmwares can offer attributes which can’t be achieved simply by EQ. I have tried to explain the personality of the 1Z that makes me admire it.

There are probably people in this very thread that could explain the actual hardware aspects of each player and how the hardware affects the over-all sound; but I’m not an expert in any way on the subject.

Each player does have it’s own personality and each owner has a direction they would want the player to go towards sonic wise. There is also a list of adjectives which could go to the bottom of the page in a post to describe audiophile attributes. When we are describing differences or changes here we are really tree topping and leaving most ideas left out.

But for each person there would be similarly valuable traits and other “higher-on-the-list” traits someone else may want. In so many ways the 1A and ZX300 are on opposite poles with the 1Z kind of in the middle? The ZX300 is dark, at least the time I heard it. So some would value making it seem brighter and faster. To me at times even the 1Z sounds better if the firmware changes it to a brighter and more nimble response. Then of course there are those which admire a more sleepy and laggy bass response. So it’s all subjective to a point.

Some equipment is always going to have a personality which is beyond the firmwares ability to change. I mean what we are dealing with is software and hardware working together to arrive at something. But knowing the limitations of the player may be something learned. Meaning if your entertained all is well. Many have sold their gear as they simply didn’t need the more capable sound. I’m pretty much at the point you do get what you pay for, but of how much value that percent is....can always be a question of practicality. Is the 1Z 5X better than the ZX300? No. But the people that value what it can do outside and above the latest firmware are willing to pay for that small percentage.

It’s also very much a concept of synergy where at times the firmware, IEMs and player can get to a special place beyond what was expected. If that’s also the style of sound the owner wanted, it’s a win,win situation.
Very true. I see the hardware capability order as wm1z over wm1a, over zx2. But as to which one to get, that is up to each person's system/synergy, what aspects of sound are the priorities for their music tastes / type of music, how much difference they perceive, and which, and how much difference is important to them, what they view as practical to spend, etc, etc.

In the end, it is a personal decision to make. i.e I advise to get the wm1z, and that will save money and give greater satisfaction in the long run. That is based on my personal experience. But is that true for other people? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Some will have similar experiences , and agree with me.
And some will call me a deluded fool(which I of course disagree with!).

Which is right?. Ask me, and I will tell you I am right....

May 4, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #37,009 of 45,723

Its way more then a small percentage of difference. 1z is way better performer then zx300 1a zx507 pha3. Only thing that beats 1z is probably taz and dmp is completely different story... When I say performer I mean by sound quality. Its more audiophile tuned and present a different way to music. While 1a can be a more fun approach and zx507 is simple pure lets simply listen to music. The audience is different this is why there is many dap segments. a happy camper with zx300 that dont believe in 1z magic lol and listens to spotify haha will never fully understand whats the point paying 3.2 grand for a dap

May 4, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #37,010 of 45,723
What device are you comparing it with?
I'm not really comparing to anything at the moment, maybe thinking of reviews stating the WM1A and ZX300 sound differences. I'm not knocking the ZX300 down with my comment I was curious whether the stock tunings maximised things like soundstage etc and how far the tuning mods could take advantage of device hardware/components.

May 4, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #37,011 of 45,723

Interesting the way you said that the WM1A and ZX300 are on the opposite poles in many ways, my impression from many comparison mentions was that there wasn't alot of difference, perhaps my misunderstanding. This may be a good thing as my tastes have changed a bit, the WM1A may be better for me than I thought.

May 4, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #37,012 of 45,723
How many hours playing you get on your device? wow thats high volumes like me do you EQ?
I don't know how many hours I'm afraid, I don't have long sessions, and always leave the player on standby - as to enhancements - I use DSEE HX (standard) and DC Phase Linearizer set to Type A Low, that’s all.

May 4, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #37,013 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/hinomotocho.145148/

I meant on a simple tone level the ZX300 was the darkest. Then I Z and 1A is brightest. But it’s a very convoluted subject as it’s subjective and dependent on what IEMs your using. Also if you were to just go in a shop the 1A, 1Z and ZX300 could sound close to the same. It’s not till you spend time does all these differences start to emerge. Also some folks are simply less likely to notice change. That they don’t notice really means nothing as everyone hears differently. There is no write or wrong in this hobby. Also too when in a public store folks can be affected by prior confirmation bias. Meaning if they think there is no difference, they will not hear a difference. Same as if they think it will sound a certain way then that’s what happens. So in reality my listening of the ZX300 was way too short to make a judgment. The only way you really know is to spend a day with a player and let mental burn in allow to take place.

There was a time when I gravitated to darker sound, so I maybe would have wanted the ZX300 thinking it was dark. But the 1A has more detail I think?

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #37,014 of 45,723
I don't know how many hours I'm afraid, I don't have long sessions, and always leave the player on standby - as to enhancements - I use DSEE HX (standard) and DC Phase Linearizer set to Type A Low, that’s all.
If you can chek the Hour counter on your 1A at charge finish and when low bat apears i can do the math for you and also fi you can check if you have the batery proteccion on.. thats all.. only if you can will be usefull to me.. thanks in advance

May 4, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #37,015 of 45,723

I meant on a simple tone level the ZX300 was the darkest. Then I Z and 1A is brightest. But it’s a very convoluted subject as it’s subjective and dependent on what IEMs your using. Also if you were to just go in a shop the 1A, 1Z and ZX300 could sound close to the same. It’s not till you spend time does all these differences start to emerge. Also some folks are simply less likely to notice change. That they don’t notice really means nothing as everyone hears differently. There is no write or wrong in this hobby. Also too when in a public store folks can be affected by prior confirmation bias. Meaning if they think there is no difference, they will not hear a difference. Same as if they think it will sound a certain way then that’s what happens. So in reality my listening of the ZX300 was way too short to make a judgment. The only way you really know is to spend a day with a player and let mental burn in allow to take place.

There was a time when I gravitated to darker sound, so I maybe would have wanted the ZX300 thinking it was dark. But the 1A has more detail I think?
Dont forget FW and regions affect sound a lot.... so you can go and see a 1A in CEV and think it has veiled highs compared to a CN 1Z.... and maybe its like that but i can tell you it introduces a ton of error to the comparison when you say aplayer its dark maybe region its afecting sound somehow also? maybe if they are all in J.. its other story or all in U or E etc and all in 3.00 all in 3.01 etc...

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #37,017 of 45,723
I'm staggered...

Okay, certainly not hi-fi, but holy mackerel (and not that I recommend this) listening to the below track on WM1A-Z1 firmware, J region at volume 110, high gain - my balanced AK T8IE mkII are sounding more like full sized headphones than full sized headphones lol...

This firmware has tightened up the 1A quite a lot, pretty staggering!

May 4, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #37,018 of 45,723
DMP-Z1 port rocks, playing the reference recording for Buxtehude's organ works (I have also the complete Ton Koopman Opera omnia ser)
15886115649997935105212080351586.jpg

May 4, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #37,019 of 45,723

Funny how we all feel the need to constantly add little disclaimers about how we are expressing our opinion and everyone may experience it differently - I totally get what you are saying.
I have a long history with Sony going back to cassette Walkmans, in more recent years I have chosen them for factors like battery life and for a while they were the only ones with buttons, but mostly I liked that I could hear the sub bass in certain songs and the music never got harsh. Recently I got a Fiio Q5s with THX AAA amp module and it is quite 'transparent', 'analytical' (not my words) and I realise my tastes have changed, and as much as I have loved my ZX300 I am now finding it a bit dark and in need of a bit of sparkle. I still would chose a WM1A as my next step up for several other factors but with your description and experimenting with firmwares and tuning mods I feel I could achieve a more desirable sound.

May 4, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #37,020 of 45,723
Hi
I has tried your wm1a-z1 on my 1A Kmod Ultimate . It's very clean and has more detail , big soundstage but it also has too much bass with me.Sometime i feel mid is faded by bass. The bass is deeper but it's very slow and has more decay. I think it will better if the bass is fast, compact, deep. This is my impresion. Thanks for your work.
This is the same impression I got for this firmware, wish it has less bass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back