Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 5, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #931 of 12,862
Just for references the Zx 300 case from china is RMB 329 (USD 50)

in Hong Kong site it states Hard-wearing polyurethane, so we have to see the actual case to confirm this.
The ak70 official case is one of the nicest and best fitting cases I've ever owned and it's made of a special polyurethane made in italy, the grain is beautiful and other than having no smell It looks like very fine quality leather.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #932 of 12,862
The ak70 official case is one of the nicest and best fitting cases I've ever owned and it's made of a special polyurethane made in italy, the grain is beautiful and other than having no smell It looks like very fine quality leather.

Many ak case looks good, but they are kind of thin, something like the digis case.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #933 of 12,862
I have tested it against the Pioneer xdp-300r and the AK70MK2, the ZX300 wipes the floor with both of them, especially on the balanced output. To give you an idea, the balanced output is as good as the one on the WM1A (the WM1A has better SE though), keep in mind that the SE on the ZX300 is no slouch, the SE on the ZX2 is better than the one of the AK240, the AK70MK2 SE holds it ground compared to the ZX300's own SE (it's not inferior but sounds different, it's hard to describe without listening to both), the WM1A and ZX2 SE have a warmer signature compared to the ZX300's SE, if you value SE more the ZX100 has a similar (albeit slightly inferior) sound to the ZX2 at a fraction of the cost, and is slightly better than the SE you get on the ZX300 (although you won't have the high gain option that you do on the ZX300), the Pioneer xdp-300r SE is no match to the one of the ZX300.

Then again, using the balanced output, the ZX300 wipes the floor with everything I've tested so far except the WM1A and WM1Z, (the sound signature on the ZX300 is similar if not identical to the WM1A on the balanced output), the WM1Z signature is different, the WM1A is warmer but the WM1Z seems to be slightly more detailed, then again it's a matter of preference.

I also felt that the Kimber Kables lacked "power" somehow, so I settled for the cheaper Sony balanced cable instead.

I'm very excited after reading this, seems even the SE is very good. I'd jump on an zx100 but I can't go back to a non touchscreen dap.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #934 of 12,862
If it's from Sony you can expect it to sound bad, they do have the minimum standard:ksc75smile:

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #937 of 12,862
Sacrilege!!!!

Ha ha

Me too I like thin case, i'm waiting for benks to release their TPU case, i have it for the ZX 2 and purchased the WM1A one, although now i have decided to get the ZX300.

Oct 5, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #938 of 12,862
Hey guys a quick question if you don't mind... Im selling my minty green ak70 on here and I don't know how (on the new site) to see if the thread has any views. Does anybody know how to tell? I only want to put it on ebay or amazon as a last resort, but I can't find the thread in the components section only if I search for it? I'm not sure if anybody is seeing it at all.

Sorry OT and all but this thread seems especially nice and full of helpful homo sapians :)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #940 of 12,862
Is this likely to get a fix? I was looking forward to getting the EU version and unlocking it but this might be a dealbreaker :fearful:
I have browsed the source, and it appears it's just a matter of the model missing from the index. So in theory it could be fixed:
https://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox....ols/scsitools/scsitool.c;hb=refs/heads/master

Then again, if you want to be 100% sure to have English and uncapped sound, either get the tourist version when available, the Asian version, the AU/NZ version or the US version.

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #941 of 12,862
Is this likely to get a fix? I was looking forward to getting the EU version and unlocking it but this might be a dealbreaker :fearful:

That is strictly volunteer based so better off either waiting till it happens, getting foreign version, or helping out (in that case check the Rockbox forums).

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #942 of 12,862
I managed to get the DAC working, I had to install the Sony software, then uninstall the DAC in the device manager and it reinstalled with the right driver.

It sounds great but there is a slight delay which is big enough to notice that lips are out of sync, so this isn't so great for watching movies. I hope Sony fixes this issue in a future driver or firmware update.

Does dsd convert to pcm using USB dac function?

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #943 of 12,862
I managed to get the DAC working, I had to install the Sony software, then uninstall the DAC in the device manager and it reinstalled with the right driver.

It sounds great but there is a slight delay which is big enough to notice that lips are out of sync, so this isn't so great for watching movies. I hope Sony fixes this issue in a future driver or firmware update.

Are you able to use the 1000XM2 headphones paired (bluetooth) to the ZX300 while it is in USB DAC mode ?

Very curious !

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #944 of 12,862
Are you able to use the 1000XM2 headphones paired (bluetooth) to the ZX300 while it is in USB DAC mode ?

Very curious !
That's an interesting question.

For people in Malaysia, where is the best place to get my hands on these in KL? Any specific Sony Store?
Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back