SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 4, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #5,971 of 8,642
What's the difference?is Cobalt more clinical/etched?
Yes, less warm, cosy but still very enjoyable with my SE846's or K10U. Don't use headphones.

I got rid of it more because I kept my BTR5.

Just have the BTR5 as DAC or BT now and the ZX507.

ZX507 most of the time and BTR5 when I'm in the mood or go wireless.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #5,972 of 8,642
Yes, less warm, cosy but still very enjoyable with my SE846's or K10U. Don't use headphones.

I got rid of it more because I kept my BTR5.

Just have the BTR5 as DAC or BT now and the ZX507.

ZX507 most of the time and BTR5 when I'm in the mood or go wireless.

Is btr5 better than Cobalt when run as USB dac? I had the dragobly red and did quite enjoyed it (even more than my mojo)
It had a nice cohesive sound, without being overly bright nor too warm - just smooth. Conflicting reviews vs the Cobalt , saying the Cobalt is more relaxed but when I read it sound clinic and brighter that doesn't seem relaxed to me

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #5,974 of 8,642
Is btr5 better than Cobalt when run as USB dac? I had the dragobly red and did quite enjoyed it (even more than my mojo)
It had a nice cohesive sound, without being overly bright nor too warm - just smooth. Conflicting reviews vs the Cobalt , saying the Cobalt is more relaxed but when I read it sound clinic and brighter that doesn't seem relaxed to me
I'm afraid only you with your own ears can tell for you. I felt I lost nothing selling the Cobalt and keeping the BTR5 which also has the benefit of far cheaper and best in class BT audio (via balanced).

I had noticeable background hiss with the Red while none for me with the Cobalt. Cobalt is more revealing, greater dynamics/clarity also brighter than the Red. Its certainly not worth the price premium over the Red unless the hiss is an issue for you. Mojo did DSD playback better than Dragonfly's conversion but I also preferred Dragonfly's but not just down to audio quality but usage with phone.

Every type of file played in the Walkman app on ZX507 (inc, MQA) still sounds best to my ears/kit over balanced (don't use headphones so nothing demanding to drive). ZX507 matches Mojo's DSD playback for me too.

PS. Never use SE on ZX507 except to check it worked when I got it. My short test revealed inferior to balanced output and little improvement on the SE out of the Sony A105.

PSS. I've stopped even looking at other DAP's since getting the ZX507. Perfectly meets my needs for my own & streaming service (offline) music. If travelling light or during exercise I will still use my phone with BTR5 balanced via BT.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #5,975 of 8,642
I own both the AQ DF Cobalt and the ZX507. I bought them both in the same week when I was in Tokyo last year. I think they both have different sound signatures that I personally like. I am using them both with a Moondrop Chaconne earbuds and I like the pairing. The best thing that I like about the Cobalt is that it can do bit perfect playback – this is something that is very important to me, especially when streaming my music via Roon on my MacBook Pro. The fact that it render MQA and that it plays very well with Roon is a very nice bonus.

The best thing that I like about the ZX507 is simply the Sony sound signature which brings back some very nice memories of my Sony D777 discman that I had with me in the mid 90s. Plus the Walkman screensaver in the ZX507 is also ultracool. The moment the ZX507 can do bit perfect streaming especially for Tidal Masters, then it would be absolutely perfect for me.

Prior to the Cobalt, I did own the Red. I can’t remember any significant differences in the sound between the Cobalt and the Red.

I also used to own the Mojo Poly combo that I had to sell away earlier this year. I sometimes regret doing this but I can see myself getting the next version of the MojoPoly when it eventually comes out. Meanwhile whenever I miss the Chord sound, I go to my BluDAVE setup.

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #5,976 of 8,642
I own both the AQ DF Cobalt and the ZX507. I bought them both in the same week when I was in Tokyo last year. I think they both have different sound signatures that I personally like. I am using them both with a Moondrop Chaconne earbuds and I like the pairing. The best thing that I like about the Cobalt is that it can do bit perfect playback – this is something that is very important to me, especially when streaming my music via Roon on my MacBook Pro. The fact that it render MQA and that it plays very well with Roon is a very nice bonus.

The best thing that I like about the ZX507 is simply the Sony sound signature which brings back some very nice memories of my Sony D777 discman that I had with me in the mid 90s. Plus the Walkman screensaver in the ZX507 is also ultracool. The moment the ZX507 can do bit perfect streaming especially for Tidal Masters, then it would be absolutely perfect for me.

Prior to the Cobalt, I did own the Red. I can’t remember any significant differences in the sound between the Cobalt and the Red.

I also used to own the Mojo Poly combo that I had to sell away earlier this year. I sometimes regret doing this but I can see myself getting the next version of the MojoPoly when it eventually comes out. Meanwhile whenever I miss the Chord sound, I go to my BluDAVE setup.

Did you find the Cobalt bit treble happy and tiring to listen to like some have reported? Been reading mixed opinions some saying its more relaxed natural than the red and other saying its more tiring. If the zx507 is a touch warmish.. how does the carbon compare for you sound wise (putting aside features etc)

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #5,977 of 8,642
BTW the system-wide (including bluetooth output) Sony EQ is good. You get 2 custom presets to save.

(But I wish saved EQ settings could be renamed - and there were more of them (like 4)

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #5,979 of 8,642
my choices??
r u alright?
it's default windows driver. and it became awful on win 10.
it's microsoft's responsibly to ensure flawless working process of their software.
however they can't do it/ and customers must spend a lot of time to fix microsofts soft bugs
I’m fine but if you expect Microsoft to write fully working default drivers for every component that’s ever been made, because you might choose to have one in your PC, you’re clearly not alright. Default drivers are not guaranteed to work, they are there as a fallback. If the component manufacturer is too lazy to write their own driver, that’s on them. And yes, your choice to buy poorly supported hardware. Try complaining to Realtek, it’s their responsibility. I use a discreet Creative sound card. They write their own drivers and software.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #5,980 of 8,642
I’m fine but if you expect Microsoft to write fully working default drivers for every component that’s ever been made, because you might choose to have one in your PC, you’re clearly not alright. Default drivers are not guaranteed to work, they are there as a fallback. If the component manufacturer is too lazy to write their own driver, that’s on them. And yes, your choice to buy poorly supported hardware. Try complaining to Realtek, it’s their responsibility. I use a discreet Creative sound card. They write their own drivers and software.
maybe u misunderstood me.
I bought a new lenovo laptop. inter i5 8th gen. I bought win 10. (around $1000)
and I expect my new laptop to support sound performing.
if u use laptop or pc without sound, and u believe microsoft should not care about sound working properly on windows 10, then u don't understand u.
perhaps u have health problems. deafness for instance. (no offence / insult) thus u don't need the sound on ur laptop. therefore sound support by microsoft is not relevant for u.
however, sound is relevant for me.
and I believe it's microsoft's responsibility as major software provider.
(I'm sure u will not face such problems with apple's macintosh)

Nov 6, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #5,981 of 8,642
maybe u misunderstood me.
I bought a new lenovo laptop. inter i5 8th gen. I bought win 10. (around $1000)
and I expect my new laptop to support sound performing.
if u use laptop or pc without sound, and u believe microsoft should not care about sound working properly on windows 10, then u don't understand u.
perhaps u have health problems. deafness for instance. (no offence / insult) thus u don't need the sound on ur laptop. therefore sound support by microsoft is not relevant for u.
however, sound is relevant for me.
and I believe it's microsoft's responsibility as major software provider.
(I'm sure u will not face such problems with apple's macintosh)
Apple know exactly what hardware their operating system needs to be compatible with as they sell their products as a package so that's a silly comparison. Doesn't seem to stop them having issues but that's another story.

Windows can be installed on any PC. Personally, given the vast range of components that might be present on a motherboard, I think the software works very well. Unfortunately, with the freedom of choice Windows gives you (to buy any PC you like and install it), comes a small price - sometimes default drivers won't work. If you'd rather buy an under-specified computer that you can't easily upgrade then go for Apple. Personally, I prefer the freedom that Windows offers.

All manufacturers have access to the resources they need to write their own drivers so there's no excuse for Lenovo or it's manufacturing partners not to have done so.

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #5,982 of 8,642
my desktop PC will not see my 507. the laptop will see it.

when I plug it in, I do get the screen asking if I want to charge only or transfer files, when I select transfer files I hear the windows sound of USB disconnecting.

It worked with earlier firmware.

walkman2.jpg

walkman.jpg

Edit:

I got the USB MTP driver installed. I had to select browse PC for drivers, then select from the list, then USB MTP driver.

in c:\windows\inf i right-clicked and installed mpdmtp.inf also

buggy win 10, Thanks Bill!

You shouldn't have to install anything. the kind of issue you have is most likely the cable in use or maybe get the latest Windows update and try again.

Works fine for me on Windows 10 Pro 64bit version 20H2

Nov 7, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #5,983 of 8,642
You get better battery life with CN firmware as well, up to 1hour.

The differences between JP and CN in my opinion are marginal but still noticeable. CN has slightly better clarity and resolution but it is not for those who want youtube, Spotify, AM, and Tidal.

Anyway, I think DSEE Ultimate on the new firmware is another new kind of sound experience. Every time when I thought I have maxed out what is possible in terms of sound quality on the ZX507, Sony throws another curveball to surprise me.

I actually have all those installed. The trick is downloading APKPure, save it on the root drive (https://apkpure.com/), after install, use it to download Spotify, Tidal, and Youtube is via Chrome, sign in and it'll behave just like the App including background playback. Best of both worlds

Nov 7, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #5,984 of 8,642
I have a living room set up using an Ifi Zen Blue Bluetooth receiver.

578F5777-4298-4805-9B45-8DA7FAE0F473.jpeg

I have set my 507 up to transmit LCAC at its best quality to the Ifi receiver but I am getting audio stuttering when just a few yards away.

So for now, I am using AptX-HD (which is stable). But I would rather use LDAC @ 990 Kbps.

For LDAC I tweaked the settings in developer mode to try to lock it on the 990 Kbps best quality. But I notice it always defaults back to “adaptive” mode. (It won’t stay locked on best quality mode).

But the audio stutters and is unusable. Does the 507 have a weak LDAC transmission at its highest bit rate?

anyone else struggling to keep their 507 locked on best LDAC quality?

Do I have to reboot to save developer mode settings?

Anyone else having 990 Kbps LDAC transmission issues?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #5,985 of 8,642
Settled on the 507 and ready to purchase. Reside in the states. Prefer black version, but that will mean purchasing from accessory jack versus local approved reseller. Question.. do I need to be concerned with respect to any issues with respect to Japanese firmware, updates, apps such as Apple Music, Tidal, etc being based in the states, but purchasing a Japanese model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back