SONY NW-ZX700
Jan 11, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #16 of 2,689
I bet battery life will be poor again for streaming media apps, really should have gone larger battery. My WM1AM2 is a bit sluggish for OS but will likely stick with it, ZX707 is this not much lighter/smaller unlike ZX507 and WM1AM2 battery life is so much better than the ZX507 I had.

Like the design.
You are correct:
  • The battery is consumed considerably when the screen is on.
  • The battery life may become about 50% shorter when some of the sound adjustments are active.
  • The battery life may become about 40% shorter when the [High-Res streaming] function is active.
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/1302/v1/en/contents/TP1000752531.html

Jan 12, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #17 of 2,689
No expansion? 😲

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #19 of 2,689
You are correct:
  • The battery is consumed considerably when the screen is on.
  • The battery life may become about 50% shorter when some of the sound adjustments are active.
  • The battery life may become about 40% shorter when the [High-Res streaming] function is active.
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/1302/v1/en/contents/TP1000752531.html

What does the high-res streaming function do? If I am streaming from Qobuz in hi-res and I have this function off, does it mean it's somehow not allowing the hi-res streaming? Or is it like a Sony enhancement for lower-res streaming like Spotify?

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #20 of 2,689
What does the high-res streaming function do? If I am streaming from Qobuz in hi-res and I have this function off, does it mean it's somehow not allowing the hi-res streaming? Or is it like a Sony enhancement for lower-res streaming like Spotify?
If enabled, upsamples to 32bit 176.4/192KHz for android apps
If disabled, limited to 16bit 48KHz Max for android apps

Jan 12, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #21 of 2,689
I was hoping that Sony would figure out bit-perfect streaming at some point. Disappointing.

Jan 12, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #22 of 2,689
I was hoping that Sony would figure out bit-perfect streaming at some point. Disappointing.
The moment you turn on high-res streaming mode, there’s already additional spatial sound processing(virtual multi-channel surround). End of the day streaming music isn’t going to match the bit perfect quality of offline playback no matter how “bit perfect” it gets. And the fact is Sony’s upsampling to 32bit 176.4/192KHz is really good, especially if you use DSEE Ultimate, streaming music is (subjectively) more enjoyable.

Streaming music is subjected to dynamic normalisation by the app developer and you have little control in how these “audio engineers” at the streaming companies do things. Good luck trying to find streaming music that has the actual audiophile level of dynamic slams:
https://www.sonible.com/blog/normalization-and-streaming-services/
blog_1.jpg

This loudness normalisation has already altered the original music and no longer music as the artist intended but music as the audio engineers at spotify/tidal/Amazon intended.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #24 of 2,689
The moment you turn on high-res streaming mode, there’s already additional spatial sound processing(virtual multi-channel surround). End of the day streaming music isn’t going to match the bit perfect quality of offline playback no matter how “bit perfect” it gets. And the fact is Sony’s upsampling to 32bit 176.4/192KHz is really good, especially if you use DSEE Ultimate, streaming music is (subjectively) more enjoyable.

Streaming music is subjected to dynamic normalisation by the app developer and you have little control in how these “audio engineers” at the streaming companies do things. Good luck trying to find streaming music that has the actual audiophile level of dynamic slams:
https://www.sonible.com/blog/normalization-and-streaming-services/
blog_1.jpg

This loudness normalisation has already altered the original music and no longer music as the artist intended but music as the audio engineers at spotify/tidal/Amazon intended.

Normalisation can be turned off/on just like in Walkman app.

I'm beginning to think you're actually a AI Chatbot connected to some Audio measurement equipment :smile: Or M3GAN

m3gan-megan.gif

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #25 of 2,689

I'm beginning to think you're actually a AI Chatbot connected to some Audio measurement equipment :smile: Or M3GAN

it doesn’t concern you right? since you told me you can’t hear the difference due to limitations.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #27 of 2,689
I can hear the volume normalisation effects of course, not things like mSD card variations.
This loudness reduction is already done by tidal during its music file encoding/data compression process(flac/MQA):
https://www.sageaudio.com/blog/mast...form-loudness-and-normalization-explained.php

How does Tidal use Loudness Normalization?​

Tidal normalizes audio to an integrated -14 LUFS but can be set to quieter -18 LUFS settings by listeners. At the time of writing this, Tidal does not turn up tracks on their streaming service – it only turns them down, meaning some tracks may sound quieter than others.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #28 of 2,689

m3gan-megan.gif

Yes, I always turn off loudness normalization to reduce any potential bit depth reductions... perceived or real. :wink:

Jan 12, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #29 of 2,689
Yes, I always turn off loudness normalization to reduce any potential bit depth reductions... perceived or real. :wink:
Tidal normalizes audio to an integrated -14 LUFS but can be set to quieter -18 LUFS settings by listeners

You cannot “disable” the file normalization that tidal already encoded into its music files.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #30 of 2,689
Tidal normalizes audio to an integrated -14 LUFS but can be set to quieter -18 LUFS settings by listeners

You cannot “disable” the file normalization that tidal already encoded into its music files.

I understand your point, but I still turn it off in the settings. I have no idea how the adjustment is done, but it has to be in the digital domain, unless Tidal sends different streams, which seems unlikely.

Also, your comments don't change the fact that bitperfect, original sample rate streaming is not possible on the Sony DAPs, a feature I would like to see.

And, as always, if it doesn't matter to you, then that's cool...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back