SONY NW-ZX700
Jan 25, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #2,446 of 2,677
Jan 25, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #2,448 of 2,677
Just some research, and kinda wanted to keep all eggs in Sony's basket haha

I have them on amazon wishlist, but haven't tried them before and they're 4k yen :thinking:
They are an absolute must have. Trust me. As soon you'll try them once, this will be the best invested 4k yen in your live.

If you ask 10 IER-M9 owners, 8 or 9 will tell you, they are mandatory

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #2,449 of 2,677
They are an absolute must have. Trust me. As soon you'll try them once, this will be the best invested 4k yen in your live.

But are you sure the TZ-200 fits? Checked their website and they say 400 series

I’ll have to get a set with all sizes cos I’m already burnt with Japanese sizes haha

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #2,450 of 2,677
I’m still trying to decide if I’m gonna stay a headphone guy or go over to the IEM side. My biggest worry is quicker hearing loss when inputting something directly into the ear canal, but I am unsure of how much of an issue that is vs headphones

These def look good
There is no difference. Its the exact opposite actually.

The IER-M9 for example isolate like earplugs because they are closed. They are basically earplugs that play music. IEM have been invented to protect the hearing of artists on stage and in most countries, they are hearing protection and you are allowed to wear them in sections where hearing protection is mandatory.

And due to that, you tend to listen at much lower volumes. I can easily listen to music on a plane at Voume 010/120 on low-gain. That is absolutely impossible with average earphone, let alone headphones.

While at work, i usually listen at 001/120 (after 1-2 Minutes, it feels like normal volume). So if you are worrying about your hearing, IEM is actually what you should get.

Beside that, the sound quality is significantly higher to Over Ear Headphones, but thats a different story

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #2,451 of 2,677
But are you sure the TZ-200 fits? Checked their website and they say 400 series

I’ll have to get a set with all sizes cos I’m already burnt with Japanese sizes haha
1000% sure. If you check the Japanese Website, they will tell you to get the TZ-200 or T-200 (the previous version).

The 400 Series is an old series that is no longer sold. So this information is outdated and does not apply.

Check the IER-M9 thread, everyone is using the T(Z)-200.

The 400 also fit, but they will be slightly loose. If you pull them out of your ear, there is a big chance, the earpiece will be stuck in your ear

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #2,454 of 2,677
I'd be the one who doesn't like foam at all
Don't find it either comfortable or best sounding 🤷‍♂️
You have tried COMPLY yet? (There are a lot of bad foam, especially in terms of comfort and sound. Especially from Chinese companies). You would be the first person I'd meet who does not like COMPLY Earpieces. People buy these for higher comfort/sound quality than silicone.

But if you really dislike foam and have no satisfaction with foam, you should not by any IEM (i mean real IEM, Monitors) as they are closed and do not allow for air pressure compensation. If you use them with silicone eartips, you even risk damaging your eardrum.

Campfire, Westone and other companies even highly recommend using foam over silicone for a lot of their IEM (like the Campfire Andromeda, the Westone Pro X and Mach Series and so on).

If you even can't stand comply, your only option is probably a custom IEM (but even those tend to get air pressure issues over time and some people can't stand/wear custom IEM either) or the 64 Audio IEM with APEX Module. They have a hole in their IEM that you can stuff with different filters allowing for air pressure compensation while trying to maintain an high as possible isolation.

But afair 64 Audio is the only company that have this feature. Vision Ears offers drilling a hole into the shell but also warning that this will lower the isolation.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #2,456 of 2,677
You have tried COMPLY yet?
Sure, didn't like it, i get itchy ears fast.
For M9, i have double flange tips that work the bets for me, no vacuum effect and it feels like they don't completely seal, and yet they do, isolation is good, bass is all there, sound is the best from all the tips i've tried (and it's a LOT of tips, belive me )

For westone, stock star tips (silicone) or CP100+ with nozzle adapters are the best, but i never had any pressure issues with westones.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #2,457 of 2,677

Affirmative.

Also agree about foam ear tips being essential.

I had a batch of (UK) Crystalline Audio Crystal Tips which were perfect. They don't seem to be trading anymore, sadly.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #2,458 of 2,677
For M9, i have double flange tips that work the bets for me, no vacuum effect and it feels like they don't completely seal, and yet they do, isolation is good, bass is all there, sound is the best from all the tips i've tried (and it's a LOT of tips, belive me )

For westone, stock star tips (silicone) or CP100+ with nozzle adapters are the best, but i never had any pressure issues with westones.
Interesting - I've never tried double flange tips. Will give them a spin.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #2,459 of 2,677

It is physically impossible to not have air pressure issues with silicone earpieces. And it is physically impossible to have high isolation and correct sound with earpieces that to not completely seal.

So there are two chances here

1. They don't seal properly --> You have worse isolation/sound quality
2. They seal properly --> You have air pressure issues

I trust you that your solution works for you and you are satisfied with the isolation/sound, but they will, no question, sound different than they are supposed to sound/measure and so this solution should only be recommended when someone tried foam and is having trouble with it.

The Manual of the IER-M9 even warns about that and also 64 Audio made a video about that issue and warns about using silicone earpieces with sealed IEM (hence they developed APEX)

If you ignore all warnings and use silicone, this is your personal risk you are taking for your own health and safety. As you can read in the development interview of the IER-M9, even the people who developed it didn't used the silicone eartips they ship with it. Nobody understands why they ship them in the first place

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #2,460 of 2,677
Has anyone done a battery replacement yet on this model or an older one? Anyone know the typical cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back