Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Feb 13, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #1,921 of 1,929
Wow, you got it at an incredible price!! What do you mean by AC version?
The European version doesn’t have a rechargeable battery built in.

May 27, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #1,924 of 1,929
Is the PHA-3 still worth it?

I'm thinking of buying it, I have the Wm1a and Wm1am2 dap

May 27, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #1,925 of 1,929

I have the wm1a and pha-3 plus other DAPs. To me, wm1a is a little underpowered but I don't use it with the pha-3. It's important to match the proper iem with the wm1a...Right now I'm enjoying kz zs10 pro with it. Funny that with other DAPs, I don't enjoy the kz but with the wm1a it is ok. Back to pha-3, this I use with other DAPs and I can use it with many iems and headphones. The pha-3 has more power and I enjoy its sound so imho it is worth it to have both wm1a and pha-3. YMMV

So, is it worth it to get the wm1am2 if I already have the wm1a? Thanks

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #1,926 of 1,929

For a used price of around $350ish, it is still a very good portable DAC/Amp. Make sure you buy one with good condition with less hours on it though because you may have to replace the onboard battery soon. I just replaced the battery recently myself and I don’t think I have charged it more than 200 times but I bought mine new back in 2016 or so.

Definitely better than the 1AMK1 for sure and should still edge out the 1AMK2. Use high quality digital cable for even better sound.
Has anyone been able to find a decent carrying case for the PHA-3 and the cords that go with it?
I use Case Logic PSP portable case.

Here is my recently NPaudio mod Sony PHA-3 with 4.4 mm jack onboard. My PHA3 is balanced out only now. Steve installed 4.4 mm jack in place of the old 3.5 mm jack and upgrade the onboard opamps and internal capacitors. The PHA3 is now even better sounding than my modded WM1ZM2. IMG_7245.jpegIMG_7233.jpegIMG_7228.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7239.jpeg
    IMG_7239.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #1,927 of 1,929
For a used price of around $350ish, it is still a very good portable DAC/Amp. Make sure you buy one with good condition with less hours on it though because you may have to replace the onboard battery soon. I just replaced the battery recently myself and I didn’t think I have charged it more than 200 times but I bought mine new back in 2016 or so.

I use Case Logic PSP portable case.
Good points there. I bought my pha-3 used and it was less than $300 and the previous owner had already changed the battery. I too have the pha-2a which I bought used too but it died on me when I used quick charger. Bummer, I sent it to a local Sony service center and it cost me around $250 to change the board and battery but I think it was worth it.

May 27, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #1,928 of 1,929
Good points there. I bought my pha-3 used and it was less than $300 and the previous owner had already changed the battery. I too have the pha-2a which I bought used too but it died on me when I used quick charger. Bummer, I sent it to a local Sony service center and it cost me around $250 to change the board and battery but I think it was worth it.
Changing battery isn’t too difficult to do and only take about an hour to do max. I have a copy of a service manual that I was able to find online. My PHA3 playing DSD files last about 5 hours driving my HD800 in balanced.

May 28, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #1,929 of 1,929
Changing battery isn’t too difficult to do and only take about an hour to do max. I have a copy of a service manual that I was able to find online. My PHA3 playing DSD files last about 5 hours driving my HD800 in balanced.
The service manual for the pha3? any chance you can share with us all? is pretty hard to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back