Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 8, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #331 of 1,079
If you are serious about power you are going for the DMP-Z1. Otherwise this is a huge improvement in basically everything. The only drawback are for folks who want the Walkman OS rather than android.
-More battery
-Better Display
-USB-C
-Android 11
-Improved internals, shielding, and power delivery
I don't doubt that it has improved internals but at what cost? I understand Sony and Japanese engineering philosophy strives for kaizen but after 6 years, at the same price (not counting inflation), I don't believe we got our time and money's worth

Edit: Not saying that its a bad product but rather the iteration is feels like a yearly iphone kind of upgrade rather than a 6 year update

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #332 of 1,079
Much like the ZX2 case and much more to my liking than the 1Z case
Yes. So the improvement list from 1Z to 1ZM2 should include the case too hahaha. They told me that there is a free leather case when I bought my 1Z mk1 and it turned out to be a cartoon.

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #334 of 1,079
probably arepost but might as well. just the official announcement, as usual of these type of video, no actual information, just eye candy
For me I'm just hoping prices for used WM1A fall a bit after this

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #335 of 1,079
1zm2.jpg

"NW-WM1ZM2" "NW-WM1AM2"
They’re pretty much sticking to their currently naming scheme across other product lines. Like their camera line Sony Alpha 1 (the 1 represents it being the TOTL) the successor would be the Alpha 1 M2(Mark II) as with their Alpha 7 line of cameras that are now on their 4th generation hence Alpha 7M4 or in this case they use a7IV moniker. You can find this on their Xperia models Xperia 1 III and Xperia 5 III, other headphones like the Z7M2, and the most notorious WH or WF X1000 series which are also on the M4 generation now iirc?

So when are me getting the IER-Z1RM2 and the MDR-Z1RM2? 🤣

It makes sense but at the same time I wish they’d just stick to the way it was before with the ZX1 to the ZX2.

I also do wanna see Sony go back and revive the MDR-EX series. I’d wanna see a newly developed large 16mm DD on a EX1000M2.

Heck if they want the IER-Z1RM2 could even have a newly developed 16mm DD for the bass, keep the current 12mm DD from the Z1R and let that handle the lower mids to upper mids, and have the 5mm DD stay on full treble duties. The currently Z1R uses the 12mm for both bass and mids, the single BA for highs and the 5mm DD handles the upper treble. I love the upper mids from that 12mm DD but since it also handles the bass duties, the lower mids unfortunately gets a bit drowned in terms of energy and separation at times. So here’s to hoping Sony’s next generation flagship IEM would be a better improvement. We got maybe another year or so?

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #336 of 1,079
probably arepost but might as well. just the official announcement, as usual of these type of video, no actual information, just eye candy
For me I'm just hoping prices for used WM1A fall a bit after this

In my opinion, used prices of WM1A and WM1Z wont drop all that much. Those who love Walkman OS will keep it and continue to want to use it. Those who are ready to make the switch up the M2 probably know this and will want to keep it.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #338 of 1,079
Feb 8, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #339 of 1,079
👀 info dropped (havent checked the website in a while but jp sony seems to have released info about the 1a/1zm2 daps. Dodgy wifi connection atm so i cant view the previous posts here 😔

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #340 of 1,079
Feb 8, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #341 of 1,079
If the battery is anything like the NW-A105, it will suck the life out of the power and heat up and almost burn. I returned the A105 due to this issue. Plus privacy tracking. It’s like they want to make the 1Z feel obsolete. I’ll just sit back and appreciate that I already have the TA, 1A, and 1Z and that I was able to enjoy this hobby at all.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #342 of 1,079
If the battery is anything like the NW-A105, it will suck the life out of the power and heat up and almost burn. I returned the A105 due to this issue. Plus privacy tracking. It’s like they want to make the 1Z feel obsolete. I’ll just sit back and appreciate that I already have the TA, 1A, and 1Z and that I was able to enjoy this hobby at all.
Im hesitant about that as well, i like how portable and convenient the a105 is but man its just not practical with how fast the battery gets depleted.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #343 of 1,079
The battery for offline listening is ~40 hours for mp3, ~35hours for FLAC, 10-20 hours for DSD (on paper only). If that is true these are definitely a solid upgrade for A105/A507 users.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #345 of 1,079

Users who are viewing this thread

Back