Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 9, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #362 of 1,079
The 4.4 balanced output power 250 mW + 250 mW / 16 Ohm

Same as the old one

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #363 of 1,079
Feb 9, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #364 of 1,079
Could have better current delivery and it has that massive capacitor which will help with dynamics. I’m sure it will be a great DAP and an improvement but there are many IEMs out there demanding more power.

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #365 of 1,079
All this discussion is just pointless, just wait for someone to hear it. Knowing sony, sound gonna get better and as DAP it will be sluggish as hell. Seems alot behind other competitor. Gonna hate stutter when u just do basic scrolling. Price also seems 20% higher.... hmm

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #366 of 1,079
I hope @nanaholic gets it and enlightens us on the SQ and overall usability.

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #367 of 1,079
All this discussion is just pointless, just wait for someone to hear it. Knowing sony, sound gonna get better and as DAP it will be sluggish as hell. Seems alot behind other competitor. Gonna hate stutter when u just do basic scrolling. Price also seems 20% higher.... hmm

Never felt the scrolling was sluggish even on the A100 or the 1Z.
Of course if you are used to the 120kHz refresh rate and animation of modern smartphones then yeah I guess, but that's just fluff and a waste of battery IMO. FWIW I'm also the type who turns off the high refresh rate on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and reduce animation because I want more battery life from the phone, so YMMV.

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #368 of 1,079
I hope @nanaholic gets it and enlightens us on the SQ and overall usability.

I'm skipping this, I don't doubt the sound would be fine but I don't like Android no matter how much/little skin is slapped on it. :beyersmile:

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #370 of 1,079
Sony Singapore website is updated. Available for order soon. Official prices are 1899 SGD/4999 SGD.
For folks in Singapore: I've just asked ConnectIT and they replied that there are demo sets in 313 store! Going down soon anyone?

Edit: To quote @dennarwhal about Sony official store.
Edit #2: It'll only available for demo at ConnectIT between 9 and 15 Feb. I guess they will have to send the demo sets to other shops. It's available for pre-order now & stock expected to arrive in April.

Dont go down today bro. I just called them and the demo is not available yet.

wm1am2.png

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #371 of 1,079
Never felt the scrolling was sluggish even on the A100 or the 1Z.
Of course if you are used to the 120kHz refresh rate and animation of modern smartphones then yeah I guess, but that's just fluff and a waste of battery IMO. FWIW I'm also the type who turns off the high refresh rate on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and reduce animation because I want more battery life from the phone, so YMMV.
i use the 1a for over 2 years already and its just enough. We need to consider android 11 implementation on the signature series. We all know sony will put bare minimum cpu that can cover just enough of moderate usage. Considering multitasking, im sure it will be alot of lag over time, not to said the software update might even be so rare on android platform till it eventually get sluggish overtime like any other android phone. High refresh rate is just a waste of function on DAP, better keep at 60 and save battery.

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #372 of 1,079
Instead, we get android 11 (with which we do not know if Sony has bypassed the Android SRC limit)

Seems like they took care of that?

In order to prevent the sound from being affected by the Android system, the Walkman dedicated app and the above-mentioned streaming app use two different streaming methods in the fuselage hardware to ensure that the listening experience on the Walkman will not be affected by the installation of Android on the host. The host can handle audio up to 192kHz from Android streaming applications, freeing the audio quality limitation of common Android smartphones.
1644387257058.png

From: https://unwire-hk.translate.goog/20...uto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #373 of 1,079
I am pickup WM1AM2, selling WM1A. Its still the best DAP remember that.
Walkman interface, sound etc. This product last at least another 5 years. Even smartphone today no good after so long.

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #374 of 1,079
i use the 1a for over 2 years already and its just enough. We need to consider android 11 implementation on the signature series. We all know sony will put bare minimum cpu that can cover just enough of moderate usage. Considering multitasking, im sure it will be alot of lag over time, not to said the software update might even be so rare on android platform till it eventually get sluggish overtime like any other android phone. High refresh rate is just a waste of function on DAP, better keep at 60 and save battery.

Which is why I also use the A100 as reference.
As a pure player device the tiny A100 which runs Android 10 is fine to me as well, never felt sluggish (the battery draining is another issue altogether). Multi-tasking on a DAP is such a silly concept to me in the first place, not sure why or even what people are multi-tasking on a DAP to begin with. I do all my smartphone crap on my latest smartphone, I only listen to music on my DAP. That's why I SEPARATED the two devices, why would I want my DAP to be doing smartphone stuff?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #375 of 1,079
Which is why I also use the A100 as reference.
As a pure player device the tiny A100 which runs Android 10 is fine to me as well, never felt sluggish (the battery draining is another issue altogether). Multi-tasking on a DAP is such a silly concept to me in the first place, not sure why or even what you are multi-tasking on a DAP to begin with. I do all my smartphone crap on my latest smartphone, I only listen to music on my DAP. That's why I SEPARATED the two devices, why would I want my DAP to be doing smartphone stuff?
How about streaming performance? Is there any difference between offline playback and audio/video streaming on the A100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back