Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 10, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #511 of 1,079
Feb 10, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #512 of 1,079
Piwer does latter f.e if you have high performance HP like let’s say Final D8000 or Senn HD660s/800s or utopias. From 250mW they may be driven OK’ish but at 60mW excuse me
Yes but that to me is not the point of a Walkman (semi) portable player to drive hard to drive full size home phones

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #513 of 1,079
Well since very few have listened to them yet we don’t really know if the sq is better than the old models or not
Name me anything concrete Sony has changed that will genuinely offer superior sound on the new units.

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #514 of 1,079
Name me anything concrete Sony has changed that will genuinely offer superior sound on the new units.
WM1Z: 20 FTCAP(3) vs. 13 FTCAP(1) + 1 OS-CON + 1 Double Layer
WM1A: 20 FTCAP(3) vs. 8 FTCAP(1) + 6 OS-CON + 1 Double Layer

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #517 of 1,079
Well since very few have listened to them yet we don’t really know if the sq is better than the old models or not
Spot on.
Haven't done anything? Did you even read the release materials? Just in terms of active components they created a completely new power regulation stage (the massive silver capacitor), new FTcaps (version 3 vs version 1 in the WM1) which they specially customised, and more accurate clock crystals.

In terms of passive components, new PCB boards, thicker internal cabling, much better compartmentalisation between components, more EMI shielding, new solder etc just to name a few.
Some folks don't quite understand how sometimes the smallest changes make the biggest differences. Tips on IEMs anyone?
Piwer does latter f.e if you have high performance HP like let’s say Final D8000 or Senn HD660s/800s or utopias. From 250mW they may be driven OK’ish but at 60mW excuse me
Fair, but I don't believe Sony Walkmans are designed for or intended to be used with low-sensitivty headphones. If that's what you're busying them for, you're wasting your money. It would be very nice to have Sony Walkmans capable of driving full-size headphones, but these are not them.
See @nanaholic's post above.

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #518 of 1,079
Real world listening difference: 0.03%.

You realise you are in an audiophile forum right? Audiophile chases 0.0001% differences, 0.03% is already an absolute win.:ksc75smile:

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #519 of 1,079
Some folks don't quite understand how sometimes the smallest changes make the biggest differences. Tips on IEMs anyone?
Not even that, there're like half a dozen DAPs which uses the exact same DAC chip from AKM and they can still sound different due to implementation and component choices....

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #521 of 1,079
Real world listening difference: 0.03%.
I highly doubt it.

Double Layer do sound significantly different than high polymer wound capacitors. This change alone is already bigger than 0.03%

The switch from FTCAP(1) to FTCAP(2) was quite significant. So i highly doubt that an switch from FTCAP(1) to FTCAP(3) would be smaller... That would mean the third generation sounds closer to the first one than the second. Its not impossible but unlikely.

They even modified the final version shortly before release because they replaced the big capacitor that replaced the Double Layer and had to made the final version of the chassy longer to fit it.

And some capacitors that are now FTCAP have been POSCAP or even film capacitors in the old WM1Z, this change is even bigger.

Panasonic explains in detail why in this document

https://eu.industrial.panasonic.com/sites/default/pidseu/files/downloads/files/id_oscon1309_e.pdf

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #522 of 1,079
I am feeling tempted to buy one of the new WM1M2 DAP and o es ve into an android DAP. That would be my firet android DAP.

Bit i need ADB and android studio IDE to ininstall several bloatware, nameli
Contacts
Telephony
Maps
Sunc
Camera
Calculator
Googl video and music player as we have W-App
Streaming apps (no interest)

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #523 of 1,079
I highly doubt it.

Double Layer do sound significantly different than high polymer wound capacitors. This change alone is already bigger than 0.03%

The switch from FTCAP(1) to FTCAP(2) was quite significant. So i highly doubt that an switch from FTCAP(1) to FTCAP(3) would be smaller... That would mean the third generation sounds closer to the first one than the second. Its not impossible but unlikely.

They even modified the final version shortly before release because they replaced the big capacitor that replaced the Double Layer and had to made the final version of the chassy longer to fit it.

And some capacitors that are now FTCAP have been POSCAP or even film capacitors in the old WM1Z, this change is even bigger.

Panasonic explains in detail why in this document

https://eu.industrial.panasonic.com/sites/default/pidseu/files/downloads/files/id_oscon1309_e.pdf
I assumed the 0.03% was a light-hearted joke about the improved purity of the copper case from 99.96% to 99.99% in the WM1ZM2 😆

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #525 of 1,079
I am feeling tempted to buy one of the new WM1M2 DAP and o es ve into an android DAP. That would be my firet android DAP.

Bit i need ADB and android studio IDE to ininstall several bloatware, nameli
Contacts
Telephony
Maps
Sunc
Camera
Calculator
Googl video and music player as we have W-App
Streaming apps (no interest)

There is already an optimization guide that has been made for the ZX-507; I suspect that most of these tweaks are valid for the WM1 mkII devices

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx500.914486/page-57#post-15339376

Users who are viewing this thread

Back