Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 11, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #631 of 1,079
The guy who did the interview, I believe his name is Sekine Kazuhiro. I have not heard his name before but I trust the engineering Sato-san put in. And yes, you are right about the 10% percent difference for the previous generation.

When you start considering how much more it costs this time around, I need to stress again that no matter how much gold or how pure the copper is, I highly, extremely doubt how long the WM1ZM2 will last compared to the WM1Z due to android and its lacklustre CPU. Especially with the smaller differences between the A and Z this time.

Once again, I urge everyone to please try it or at the very least, read up on as many reviews as possible, before you make this 4000USD purchase.

Edit: Added reasons as to why I think new one wont last as long
The reason Linux was used in WM#1 generation was we were told other operating systems were noisemakers. We were getting back to basics with very few options. Later with the newer versions of the firmware we got DAC capability and BT send and receive. Before it was just BT send. That chip for BT had to be placed with the very first units, serial #000001. That meant that we were sold Android a noise maker. The copper case was to reduce EMF waves; so why have them generated internally? Again 4.4mm was marketed as better but the amp is a totally different amp for 4.4mm. Not that tiny 3.5mm. Again though everything has a different personality, as some like 3.5mm better from the 1A/1Z.

There is that mysterious logic that states you could have both 4.4mm and 3.5mm have the exact same amp, but they don’t????Now why not? Marketing, 4.4mm is a buzz word. Though some have started that balanced is technically better? I don’t know. 3.5mm maybe sounds better in the TA than 4.4mm in the WM1A, WM1Z? I really think 3.5mm IS better with the TA, over the old Walkmans, at least in my use!

It hard to differentiate between marketing and true advancement. I liked that the originals didn’t have streaming. But times change. Remember too, 4.4mm didn’t even exist before WM1A-WM1Z.

Now 4.4mm is everywhere. I remember getting an aftermarket cable and it was super rare to even find 4.4mm. That was 2017-2018.

Remember a different transducer is going to make a way more radical difference in sound.

They are pretty though! And in reality does it matter which is truly better? Everyone likes new shine and those gorgeous lines they have now. They are sexy, you have to give them that. Beautiful to look at.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #632 of 1,079
I highly, extremely doubt how long the WM1ZM2 will last compared to the WM1Z due to android and its lacklustre CPU.

Same concern for me as someone who owned the ZX507. From what we’ve seen so far, the SoC in these two new DAPs is a little bit better than what was used in the ZX507. Then we need to factor in Android 9 on ZX507 versus Android 11 on the new WM1A/Z M2, not quite sure if 11 is less of a resource hog than 9.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #633 of 1,079
The reason Linux was used in WM#1 generation was we were told other operating systems were noisemakers. We were getting back to basics with very few options. Later the newer versions of the firmware we got DAC capability and BT send and receive. Before it was just BT send. That chip for BT had to be placed with the very first units, serial #000001. That meant that we were sold Android a noise maker. The copper case was to reduce EMF waves; so why have them generated internally? Again 4.4mm was marketed as better but the amp is a totally different amp for 4.4mm. There is that mysterious logic that states you could have both 4.4mm and 3.5mm have the exact same amp. Now why not? Marketing, 4.4mm is a buzz word. Though some have started that balanced is technically better? I don’t know.

It hard to differentiate between marketing and true advancement. I liked that the originals didn’t have streaming. But times change. Remember too, 4.4mm didn’t even exist before WM1A-WM1Z.

Now 4.4mm is everywhere. I remember getting an aftermarket cable and it was super rare to even find 4.4mm. That was 2017-2018.

Remember a different transducer is going to make a way more radical difference in sound.

They are pretty though! And in reality does it matter which is truly better? Everyone likes new shine and those gorgeous lines they have now. They are sexy, you have to give them that. Beautiful to look at.
I resonate well with your final statement. I see Fiio has their diamond cut look, iBasso with their curves, Lotoo with their steampunk design but nothing else really looks like a walkman.

I would like to link to my earlier post:
And this is exactly why I love Sony. To Sony, they are their own competition. Their attention to the way something feels is astounding. While this product is merely incremental, I still feel that it truly is what a Walkman would be.

While there exist many music players and the walkman is a music player, not all music players are a walkman.

That being said, I remember 4.4mm being sold as a more sturdy plug compared to the 2.5 that A&K was pushing but I think Sony is still a c*nt for limiting DSD playback to 4.4 with no good reason why.

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #634 of 1,079
I resonate well with your final statement. I see Fiio has their diamond cut look, iBasso with their curves, Lotoo with their steampunk design but nothing else really looks like a walkman.

I would like to link to my earlier post:

That being said, I remember 4.4mm being sold as a more sturdy plug compared to the 2.5 that A&K was pushing but I think Sony is still a c*nt for limiting DSD playback to 4.4 with no good reason why.
Well, we know native DSD was possible and is possible with the 1A/1Z with MrWalkmans firmware. So don’t tell me that Sony couldn’t have done it with the OLD WALKMANS. Marketing again!

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #635 of 1,079
Well, we know native DSD was possible and is possible with the 1A/1Z with MrWalkmans firmware. So don’t tell me that Sony couldn’t have done it with the OLD WALKMANS. Marketing again!
A bit like in the old days in the 70’s and 80’s when IBM were selling 2 line printer models with different model numbers and print speeds and price, but physically you could change between the two models just by switching a hidden switch

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #636 of 1,079
1644558557191.jpeg

This image summarized my thoughts on the new walkman series

I was torn in between this release and mojo2, after spending some days with my gear, I’m holding my purchases til December, not worth it investing in gear right now IMO, mojo2 still calls my attention but i think ill hold until the hype dissipate

Feb 11, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #637 of 1,079
A bit like in the old days in the 70’s and 80’s when IBM were selling 2 line printer models with different model numbers and print speeds and price, but physically you could change between the two models just by switching a hidden switch
It’s pretty easy to see that these WM1A/WM1Z MK2s will soon to be followed by MK3 that will roll back to the original Sony firmwares.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #638 of 1,079
For mk 1 users who want significant sound improvement this should be the way to go. I haven't heard the mk 2 but I doubt it's significant enough compared to the mk 1.

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #639 of 1,079
For mk 1 users who want significant sound improvement this should be the way to go. I haven't heard the mk 2 but I doubt it's significant enough compared to the mk 1.
Go to Connect-It this weekend m8. Its waiting for you to try there :)

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #640 of 1,079
Go to Connect-It this weekend m8. Its waiting for you to try there :)
I will! I'm actually really interested in the 1AM2. Did you check it out when you were there?

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #641 of 1,079
I will! I'm actually really interested in the 1AM2. Did you check it out when you were there?
Yeah they have it both but I did not hear it sadly. I wanted to hear the flagship cos it seemed the most exciting.

Recommend bringing your M9 and Z1R over to sample them.

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #642 of 1,079
Well, I don’t want to toot my horn too much but EarSonics just released the ONYX on the 8th. It is about 6dB more efficient than the IER-Z1R. It may even be 9dB more efficient than the IER, as I don’t have a volume measurement device, so I do it by ear.

But it’s actually a better IEM than the IER-Z1R. It literally was debuted 3 days ago, so don’t only take my word for it but get other opinions. There should be a review for it almost everyday?

But the crazy thing is it’s only $561 factory direct. That’s the only way EarSonics can do the price. But it’s everything the IER-Z1R is, and more!
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/earsonics-onyx.25694/reviews

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #643 of 1,079
Yeah they have it both but I did not hear it sadly. I wanted to hear the flagship cos it seemed the most exciting.

Recommend bringing your M9 and Z1R over to sample them.
Thank you, sure I will. I auditioned the TA with Z1R before. That was how I realized that my Z1R is still not in its most glory form with the WM1Z desprite how much I love that pairing. I'm curious how that observation may change with the mk 2.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #644 of 1,079
Thank you, sure I will. I auditioned the TA with Z1R before. That was how I realized that my Z1R is still not in its most glory form with the WM1Z desprite how much I love that pairing. I'm curious how that observation may change with the mk 2.
I'd argue anything with a DD won't perform close to its' best with 250mW, not by a long shot.

In fact my experiences with DD IEMs suggest adding a high-end portable amp is essential to get the absolute most out of them, particularly when it comes to improving dynamics, reduced congestion & deeping sub-bass to orgasmic levels. Heck I've no doubt many DD IEM's continue scaling even further with high-end desktop amps.

Which is why 250mW is not up to snuff in 2022. Not when Sony's own flagship IEM probably scales massively with amplication levels only provided by DAPs of competitors.
As an Andromeda owner the WM1AM2 has my attention, but if I owned an IER-Z1R I'd be looking at the M17 or M9 instead.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #645 of 1,079
I'd argue anything with a DD won't perform close to its' best with 250mW, not by a long shot.

In fact my experiences with DD IEMs suggest adding a high-end portable amp is essential to get the absolute most out of them, particularly when it comes to improving dynamics, reduced congestion & deeping sub-bass to orgasmic levels. Heck I've no doubt many DD IEM's continue scaling even further with high-end desktop amps.

Which is why 250mW is not up to snuff in 2022. Not when Sony's own flagship IEM probably scales massively with amplication levels only provided by DAPs of competitors.
As an Andromeda owner the WM1AM2 has my attention, but if I owned an IER-Z1R I'd be looking at the M17 or M9 instead.

Simply not true. The myth you need MOAR power for DD is that - a myth.

My Just ear custom is a 16mm large DD+BA hybrid with a DD that's bigger the the vast majority of the DDs in IEMs you can find and it sounds superb on my 1Z - in fact I don't even use half of the output volume.

The IER-Z1R that people swear is a power hungry hog was in fact also tuned on a 30mW Sony voice recorder the PCM-D10 to make sure it works on low power devices (I got this straight from the designer's mouth).

DDs which uses more power is a design choice by the engineer, not an inherent trait of the technology.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back