Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 12, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #721 of 1,079
We are all talking about how the (first) kiss is going to be, yet we haven’t kissed the girl.
Yes, although we've seen the girl and her 'credentials'.

This thread runs the risk of hitting a thread count of at least 200 before the units are officially released. Someone has done something right or perhaps not.

Feb 12, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #722 of 1,079
Oops I just did it. A very quick impression is that I still love mine very much 🤣

Cheers! Life goes on and on with many unexpected changes, though I tend to believe that the humble choices we make are in fact meant to be. :)

“My old run-down junker.” Only 1883 miles, I mean hours.

CDB13996-4735-4874-B288-97E1A0E61C62.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #723 of 1,079
Cheers! Life goes on and on with many unexpected changes, though I tend to believe that the humble choices we make are in fact meant to be. :)

“My old run-down junker.”

CDB13996-4735-4874-B288-97E1A0E61C62.jpeg
**Best way to upgrade sound**
That pair looks sick!

Feb 12, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #724 of 1,079
And if you want an DAP with an listening sound (Japanese differentiate between Monitor and Listening sound. Listening is that what most people here call musical) that gives a deep sense of presence and a wide sound, there is no way around an WM1 (no matter if first is second generation)

OK :thinking:
So the WM1 is considered monitor?
What would be a "musical" DAP according to the Japanese definition?

Feb 12, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #725 of 1,079
Oops I just did it. A very quick impression is that I still love mine very much 🤣
download_20220212_160028.jpg
download_20220212_160108.jpg
Having had a first try with the WM1ZM2 and now owning the WM1Z, if anything, I imagine it to be like kissing a man, thick, heavy and wet but still silky smooth nonetheless.

I really need to go down to connect-it while I still have both my WM1A and WM1Z to compare it with the M2 versions

Feb 12, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #726 of 1,079
Having had a first try with the WM1ZM2 and now owning the WM1Z, if anything, I imagine it to be like kissing a man, thick, heavy and wet but still silky smooth nonetheless.
Oops 🤣 A kiss is still a kiss nonetheless
I really need to go down to connect-it while I still have both my WM1A and WM1Z to compare it with the M2 versions
You really should. One surprise thing to me is that the 1AM2 sounds so different compared to the 1ZM2. So I don't know if I can agree with the comment that they are closer in sound compared to the first gen.

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #727 of 1,079

“My old run-down junker.” Only 1883 miles, I mean hours.

Us old timers and our vintage gear.

I'd just like to compliment you on your stunning photo. I've really taken to my 1Z's gold finish (perhaps the weight adds some realism like a gold ingot?) and I've always had a fetish for twisty copper cables.

Your review on the Onyx has me keen to try one day.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #728 of 1,079
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/hinomotocho.145148/

Thanks, well I believe in happenstance as a concept in audio. So we can only take so much apart with our minds. The rest is luck and intuition.........maybe?

I am grateful I didn’t go down other paths like Chord Electronics or whatever? At one point there was choices, but maybe I’m at the point of no return now?

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #729 of 1,079
As @purk Mentioned DMap-Z1 amp i wanted to say this.

TI )texas inatruments) has shrunken to a silicon level an R2R DAC and a class A or A/B amp (TPA found on DMP-Z1).

Why cant sony shrink these power FETs used to amplify S-Master on their table top gear into a chip level ot even the hybrid D/A corcuit used on the Tazzy amp

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #730 of 1,079
At long last! Finally, the test of a TRUE Headphone Supremus - learning an entire foreign language for a psychologically perceived 0.01% sound improvement. :smile:

ebxYEqB.gif
By the way I'm teaching Japanese, if anyone is interested in buying an WM1ZM2 :D

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #731 of 1,079
Not unless I learn Japanese, but that time investment would be better spent earning more cash for a DMP-Z1. :smile:

Sony must be one of the few audio companies to vary product tuning based on region. I grasp the logic behind it, but it's a strange business practice.
Well there haven't been a single proof yet. I recorded samples from my WM1Z with different region settings and according to audacity, they are identical.

So according to audacity, there is no difference between region codes.

Also the test procedure that was used until now to show that they are different (changing the code on one model instead of using two players and comparing them side by side) is incapable in showing small nuances that are described between these.

That doesn't mean they don't exist nor the opposite, for now it only means that different methods showed different results and they are not consistent. As long nobody is willing to invest money into research, we'll never know

Feb 12, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #732 of 1,079
Well there haven't been a single proof yet. I recorded samples from my WM1Z with different region settings and according to audacity, they are identical.

So according to audacity, there is no difference between region codes.

Also the test procedure that was used until now to show that they are different (changing the code on one model instead of using two players and comparing them side by side) is incapable in showing small nuances that are described between these.

That doesn't mean they don't exist nor the opposite, for now it only means that different methods showed different results and they are not consistent. As long nobody is willing to invest money into research, we'll never know
Maybe they are paranormal phenomenon like storytelling themes of sea creatures or Bigfoot?

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #734 of 1,079
Well, I have my beliefs. Also there are numerous people who think the IER sounds slightly better from the TA or DMP-1Z. Now maybe that’s not just power, but it’s power and resolution?

It's good that you have you beliefs and acknowledges that it is simply that - a belief. However I think you would agree that a belief is not a universal fact, no? And a belief in audio is just another word for subjective preference.

Just because many people who thinks the IER sounds slightly better doesn't mean that it is true.

Here are more thought experiments you can try since you bought up the issue of soundstage - putting aside the fact that we have no way to quantify what soundstage it and it is just something we assume people simply "get" as they listen - answer me this, is soundstage always the bigger the better, and if not, what is the optimal soundstage size? Is there a genre where a smaller soundstage is preferable (for example, mimicking the intimacy of a jazz performance in a small nightclub), or another where you want it to be as big as you can get (like a full orchestra performing in an open orchestral hall)?

You can ask 10 different people that above question you will probably get 10 different answers, and very likely the answer would then be "it depends", and in that case, is getting a bigger soundstage by feeding more power into the IER-Z1R necessarily mean that it is then "always better"?

If you can follow this line of thought, then you would understand why the "it gets better with more power because the soundstage is wider" is simply a subjective preference, and not a fact.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #735 of 1,079
It's good that you have you beliefs and acknowledges that it is simply that - a belief. However I think you would agree that a belief is not a universal fact, no? And a belief in audio is just another word for subjective preference.

Just because many people who thinks the IER sounds slightly better doesn't mean that it is true.

Here are more thought experiments you can try since you bought up the issue of soundstage - putting aside the fact that we have no way to quantify what soundstage it and it is just something we assume people simply "get" as they listen - answer me this, is soundstage always the bigger the better, and if not, what is the optimal soundstage size? Is there a genre where a smaller soundstage is preferable (for example, mimicking the intimacy of a jazz performance in a small nightclub), or another where you want it to be as big as you can get (like a full orchestra performing in an open orchestral hall)?

You can ask 10 different people that above question you will probably get 10 different answers, and very likely the answer would then be "it depends", and in that case, is getting a bigger soundstage by feeding more power into the IER-Z1R necessarily mean that it is then "always better"?

If you can follow this line of thought, then you would understand why the "it gets better with more power because the soundstage is wider" is simply a subjective preference, and not a fact.
Well, the other thing is volume used. Meaning that I have personal friends which have the IER-Z1R (2) which seem to not notice the power issue. But you know why? They are super super super low volume listeners. That is one way that it seems damping doesn’t matter as much. Of course it is subjective. The whole of Head-Fi IS subjective only. Except for those things that are proven, which is fairly small by some contrasts. And yes, there is a questionable angle to almost everything. If there wasn’t we could simply buy stuff and take someone else’s word for the quality in question. But yes, it’s totally a personal thing. Still we learn at least to take lessons from the group. If many people find at least something to have a piece of truth, then there may be something there. Why? Due to the possibility of many conclusions being parallel. Maybe not totally correct but there is a chance? We don’t need to waist anymore pixels on this debate. And I’m not questioning your interpretation of the power needed for your experience to happen! That’s the most important thing, that we do all share a common experience, though at times with different methodology.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back