Sony XB500 & XB700 Clipping Off a Fiio E11? Please help me work out what this noise is?
Dec 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bassheadspl

100+ Head-Fier
Hello headfiers.I currently own the XB500 & XB700 and power them from a fiio e11 amplifier. When i turn the volume up really high on the amp, so the bass goes crazy the drivers in both pair of headphones start to make a rattling sound. What i am trying to work out if that noise is common on them headphones, when they are driven to there limits.

I see the XB500 can take up 1500 mw and the fiio e11 is not pushing out half of that to the headphones, so why it it making that kind of noise, as the drivers are no where near pushed to there limits. Is it clipping? Will a more powerful amp get rid of it at high bassy volumes? or will it make the rattling sound worse?

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 3
The output impedance for the amp is probably really close to the rated impedance on the headphones, you should so some research on what kind of powered amp you should use with which impedance rating.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 3
Make sure the EQ switch is on 0 and the gain switch is on L. My Audio-Technica ATH-M50s can also handle 1500 mW of power, but the signal will clip with the gain on H and the volume dial turned up past 6. Low-impedance headphones such as the XB series and the ATH-M50 will be driven properly with low gain. The E11 has an output impedance of .5 ohm, so that is not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back