Sony Xperia 1 Impression Thread
Feb 26, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #16 of 368
Why not LEICA like Those Chinese ?? Lol
Carl Zeiss is an old name in Lens tech, its the GIANT literally speaking, famous in camera, medical equipment, microscope, telescope etc. They have a lot of patented design and stuffs.
images.png
Should at least familiar with their logo maybe?

The Zeiss T* designation means Sony used Zeiss patented coating for their lens.

Sony's lens in the Mk1 is already tested to be the sharpest in the smartphone market, (as sony also make their own pro lenses in their G-Master line, they know the chops and have the tech to make good lenses) this is just them improving it.

While Leica is more famous for their Camera, and are actually younger than Zeiss. Its also different type of collab, Leica and Huawei really do collaborate in the P series cameras, Leica handling the camera design Huawei just the software.

While Zeiss here just means Sony uses Zeiss' design on their camera lens, kinda like how Sony makes Kimber Kable themselves by following Kimber's design.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #17 of 368
I disagree, that's why, haha. This just hasn't been in my experience. LG flagships are good but "entry level" quality in the realm of dedicated equipment. I think the WM1A is a big step up. But this is a subjective subject, so...
Theres just so many things going on in smartphone that its kinda a waste to include sophisticated dedicated chips when interference and noise would just wreck its end performance IMO.
The LG in the end only worth it for its higher output power for me, anything else, a lot is better.
If anyone want to make a phone with dedicated Hifi audiothey gotta devise a way to completely isolate it from the phone part. That would sacrifice overall design and size, battery perf included.

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #18 of 368
Honestly lens tech is not going to be important except for the wide-camera lens to minimize artifacts at the edge of the picture.

So the Sony would make nice wide point-of-view images. However, if that lens is placed over the non-main camera sensor......

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #19 of 368
Not sure about that, but it would be follish to not put it on all three lens, as they're all under the same glass with the Zeiss T* designation, it should be, at least? Again, Mk1's wide lens is one of the most consistent in sharpness on camera already.

Feb 26, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #20 of 368
Theres just so many things going on in smartphone that its kinda a waste to include sophisticated dedicated chips when interference and noise would just wreck its end performance IMO.
The LG in the end only worth it for its higher output power for me, anything else, a lot is better.
If anyone want to make a phone with dedicated Hifi audiothey gotta devise a way to completely isolate it from the phone part. That would sacrifice overall design and size, battery perf included.

Please don't take this personal, the statements below are general.
I would again assume these statements are just psychological audiophile talk. I bet you will not hear any difference between midrange (and some high end) DAP with no radio interference and LG in A/B test. My hearing is pretty good (confirmed by audiologist) and I could not hear any difference in my home test. And again you always need to take unto consideration the whole chain. IEMs/headphones make 80-90%, then comes recording and material and then the rest. Of course I only mean high quality stuff and not some 128k mp3 on a decade old chinese mp3 player. Same with all the cables mamble jumble, just buy a IEM that is tuned properly and is not dependant on sub-ohm difference in cable impedance and take care if a good seal. The main challenge in comparing things is to achieve same volume and this is tough with ears only.
Everybody hears what he/she wants to hear but there are measurements and facts but they are overrated, right?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #21 of 368
Well yeah, its more form an experience of what i hear from various smartphone i've had, interference noise does exist and i can hear it on some of my kore sensitive IEM.
Even if they dont, i dont intend to use my phone much for serious, long hours listening sessions simply because i dont want to hear those notifications coming inbetween the tunes.

Sometimes people just want isolation inside a music and IMO smartphone has a lot of things going on that breaks that focus on regular basis.

Feb 27, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #22 of 368
Well yeah, its more form an experience of what i hear from various smartphone i've had, interference noise does exist and i can hear it on some of my kore sensitive IEM.
Even if they dont, i dont intend to use my phone much for serious, long hours listening sessions simply because i dont want to hear those notifications coming inbetween the tunes.

Sometimes people just want isolation inside a music and IMO smartphone has a lot of things going on that breaks that focus on regular basis.

We all got difference preferences. I personally would love to carry around / charge less devices. Having a phone that can essentially be a DAP would also be convenient for travel, which I do a lot.

Feb 27, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #23 of 368
For sure its all about preference thing, I just think that putting a proper hardware and isolation needed to make it "actually good" gotta make the phone sacrifice on some other part. Like battery size, overall bulk, less capability for good signal reception etc.
Thing is, phones need to have great to good signal reception thus the material they're majorly made of reflect this, (ie plastic and glass) for the to be able to get reliable cellular signal, those permeability aint really what a good audio circuitry wants..
All these "reasons" just swirls around in my head for why such a perfect phone with superior audio quality can't ever exist. Thus my pessimism.

Anything else...
I dont know, if its that easy, id think any other numerous DAPs manufacturer would've tried making one already. They sure have made stuffs with way more expensive price than the most expensive Folding phone that exist right now. Surely putting the guts of a midrange spec smartphone inside their DAPs' chassis cant be that hard?

Knowing that every people have a smartphone and how fast they do upgrade, The price they can put on a good one gotta be worth the research, right?

Way more company tried their hands on usb Dongle and Bluetooth device instead tho, in various configs. They're just much easier attempts and they're isolated from interferences as they are outside the phone.

So then, nobody actually try the jump, so yeah...
At least, not now.

Agreed that such future is worth the wait tho :beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #24 of 368
For sure its all about preference thing, I just think that putting a proper hardware and isolation needed to make it "actually good" gotta make the phone sacrifice on some other part. Like battery size, overall bulk, less capability for good signal reception etc.
Thing is, phones need to have great to good signal reception thus the material they're majorly made of reflect this, (ie plastic and glass) for the to be able to get reliable cellular signal, those permeability aint really what a good audio circuitry wants..
All these "reasons" just swirls around in my head for why such a perfect phone with superior audio quality can't ever exist. Thus my pessimism.

Anything else...
I dont know, if its that easy, id think any other numerous DAPs manufacturer would've tried making one already. They sure have made stuffs with way more expensive price than the most expensive Folding phone that exist right now. Surely putting the guts of a midrange spec smartphone inside their DAPs' chassis cant be that hard?

Knowing that every people have a smartphone and how fast they do upgrade, The price they can put on a good one gotta be worth the research, right?

Way more company tried their hands on usb Dongle and Bluetooth device instead tho, in various configs. They're just much easier attempts and they're isolated from interferences as they are outside the phone.

So then, nobody actually try the jump, so yeah...
At least, not now.

Agreed that such future is worth the wait tho :beerchug:

The Granbeat was my hope. Then Onkyo seems to have checked out of the game :frowning2:

Mar 2, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #25 of 368
I want to know what kind of DAC is in the mkii. Being Sony we'll likely never know, but it send to indicate it supports Tidal so MQA? Does it bypass Android system's resampling?

Mar 2, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #26 of 368
I think that Tidal integration part is more for Sony's own, the 360°Reality Audio thing, the MkII has a hardware that can decode that file format independently.

That format need the artist own's input so the kusic can be mixed for 360 specifically, i think so far its mostly filled with Sony Music Entertainment contracted artists.

So i dont think it can unfold MQA by itself.

Mar 15, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #27 of 368
I want to know what kind of DAC is in the mkii. Being Sony we'll likely never know, but it send to indicate it supports Tidal so MQA? Does it bypass Android system's resampling?
All very good questions I would be also very interested in. But I would assume that they have just included the amp section for improved SNR and leverage internal Snapdragon DAC.

Apr 6, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #28 of 368
I'm actually really excited about this phone. It's this or V60 for my next phone. I also have a Sony a9 which this phone adds extra value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back