Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 24, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #9,016 of 9,689
Yes sorry I didn't read it properly.

But I don't agree. It's doesn't coil on itself more than most other cables or maybe mine is just used a lot! Picture below is stock 4.4 and Forza Audioworks Noir HPC MK2. Both great cables but Sonys better for portable use.

Anytime I got up from my desk rather than untangling it would pull the dap (wm1am2; not a skinny minny!) and I had a few close calls. Perhaps with more use it would have broken in and lost the memory. The GU comfortcraftsman on the other hand uncoils very very easily and while its not as silence as the OG its pretty quiet. The connector at the headphone is less bulky and the cable is overall much smaller so its very travel friendly!

How is the forza? i always worry braided cables will be noisy. Would only get those for desktop amp listening.

Mar 24, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #9,017 of 9,689
I also have Forza Audioworks Noir HPC MK2 but with 6.3mm for desktop use. And it's great! The original is way too long. Are there big differences in sound? Not really, you have to listen hard and do an A/B test. Which only means Sony cables are good. Because in other headphones with FAW cable difference was significant.

Whereas 4.4 Sony for portable use is perfect for me. I think it has pretty good sonic properties and perfect length.

Probably full silver cable would make a bigger difference, as in case with Meze Empyrean. But I haven't had a chance to check it yet.

I dream that someday manufacturers will standardize headphone plugs and we will have 1 or 2 types. And we will be able to collect and test different cables with our headphones...

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #9,018 of 9,689
I just compared one of the very first ever made Z1R (demo unit in a store, serial number 37) with the one I own (build a year ago) and they sound absolutely identical.

So not sure if Sony ever changed the Tuning or if the reviewers who tell about the treble peaks were just telling what they've seen in the fr graph.

Maybe it's because people listen at better recorded higher quality music now .
This. Never seen any information anywhere else regarding tuning changes.

Mar 24, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #9,019 of 9,689
I also have Forza Audioworks Noir HPC MK2 but with 6.3mm for desktop use. And it's great! The original is way too long. Are there big differences in sound? Not really, you have to listen hard and do an A/B test. Which only means Sony cables are good. Because in other headphones with FAW cable difference was significant.

Whereas 4.4 Sony for portable use is perfect for me. I think it has pretty good sonic properties and perfect length.

Probably full silver cable would make a bigger difference, as in case with Meze Empyrean. But I haven't had a chance to check it yet.

I dream that someday manufacturers will standardize headphone plugs and we will have 1 or 2 types. And we will be able to collect and test different cables with our headphones...
I've standardized on headphone cables for the Sony (3.5mm) and have adapters to use it on my LCD-X or CA Cascade.

Mar 25, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #9,020 of 9,689

In Japan, everything uses either 3.5mm or 4.4mm

You can occasionally find 6.3mm but it gets rare.

The YH-5000SE for example only comes with 3.5mm and 4.4mm. The 6.3mm is only supplied as an Adapter

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #9,021 of 9,689
I meant standardizing the plugs/connectors that going into the headphones.

Imagine having only two types. For example 3.5mm (like Sony Z1R, Arya etc.) and 4 pin miniXLR (Meze, ZMF).
Buying more expensive cables would then make more sense. And collecting hi-end cables would be more profitable.

I've read a lot of reviews about cables that can take the Z1R (and others headphones) to the next level. The problem is that these cables cost the same as the headphones themselves or more...

At the moment I have 6 pairs of headphones and each have different connectors, except for Meze and ZMF VC. Sennheiser HD600 and Fostex TH900 has similar but different. And so it is with all units. Buying an outstanding cable for all headphones is beyond my budget. And also it is beyond common sense. I've been in this hobby for years, I didn't contribute on the forum, but I've been reading it for years and many times opinions and reviews helped me with the choice. But sometimes bad choices came along and I had to sell something. This often means a loss, and an expensive cable is hard to sell with headphones. Selling separately means you have to reduce the price drastically. Another loss. So if the connectors were standardized and the cable could be left for other headphones, then the fun continues!

I'm thinking, maybe we should start talking about it more and try to convince headphone manufacturers to start moving in this direction? After all, we are on a forum where there is probably the largest community of headphone lovers... :)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #9,022 of 9,689
Wow, this cable is really something with the Z1R... tight and controlled bass, highs cleaned of excessive harshness... (purchased for the D8000)

7012a2b5-cb8a-453d-842a-426944f6345a.jpg

Well, after reading your post I purchase one of these, since I also have a Final Audio headphone that I always felt the bass was too bloated so I could use one cable to kill two birds. I just got it today. You are absolutely right: this cable definitely tightened up the bass and smoothed the treble peak on the Z1R. I would also say that it opened up the mid as well. And it has a stunning build quality. Thank you for the discovery.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #9,023 of 9,689
I have seen claims online that Sony quietly changed the Z1R in response to Tyll Herstens' early "10K Peak" review. Does anyone have an actual source on this?
I have never heard such a peak, myself. My serial number is in the 101XX range.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #9,024 of 9,689
I have a 134xx pair. Mine definitely had the peak when it was new 6 months ago, even after the initial 200h burn in. I used my Z1R sparingly after that as I have other headphones. But a few weeks ago I started to notice the so called zingy character seems to be gone for the most part. This is unlikely to be my brain burn in as I have several headphones in rotation and, in the earlier days, I always notice the zingy sound whenever I switched to the Z1R. Now I only notice it occasionally depending on recordings. I suspect the 10k peak issue is sample specific. If you look at crinacle's measurements, only one channel has that high 10k peak. So if yours never had it, you have better luck than me.

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #9,025 of 9,689
Mine is 13xxx and does not have that peak to my ears.

Mar 28, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #9,026 of 9,689
Mine is serial 5916 and lost the 10K zing when I switched from the SPC stock cable to the AXIOS Cu and DHC Prion4.

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #9,027 of 9,689
Mine is serial 5916 and lost the 10K zing when I switched from the SPC stock cable to the AXIOS Cu and DHC Prion4.
Mine is serial 57X it lost that 10kHz zing like you said after using axios CU and later lavri silver

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #9,028 of 9,689
I have seen claims online that Sony quietly changed the Z1R in response to Tyll Herstens' early "10K Peak" review. Does anyone have an actual source on this?
My is 13xxx and I don't have this peak. So maybe Sony has quietly changed something or individual copies differ from each other.

However, I have something different. When I take off or adjust the headphones, by grabbing the shells I can hear some crackling of plastic. It irritates me a lot. Nothing happens to my headphones. They are almost new.
I took off the pads and checked the elements of the frame. Everything is fine. I'm not sure where this sound is coming from. Maybe from connecting to the headband, it's hard to tell. Anyone having this annoying sound?

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #9,029 of 9,689
However, I have something different. When I take off or adjust the headphones, by grabbing the shells I can hear some crackling of plastic. It irritates me a lot. Nothing happens to my headphones. They are almost new.
I took off the pads and checked the elements of the frame. Everything is fine. I'm not sure where this sound is coming from. Maybe from connecting to the headband, it's hard to tell. Anyone having this annoying sound?
Mine has no crackling sound. The cups feel solid and tight.

Mar 29, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #9,030 of 9,689
This would be the first time ever, that Sony cares about an review that is not in Japanese.

As far as I remember the Head Designer doesn't even speak English, I think he couldn't care less.

It won the VGP Gold Award in 2017, 18, 20, 21 and 23 with an average of 4.4 Stars on kakaku and 4.5 Stars at e-earphone.

I highly doubt that they secretly, without telling anyone (why would they? It's from 2016, they would make much more money by just releasing a new model), change the sound signature on their best seller that has constantly high ratings since it's released

Why fix something that isn't broken? Because some random YouTuber told so?

Even Moondrop didn't changed the Tuning of the VOID after it gotten mediocre reviews even from Crinacle, even though they did pull it from the market and did had the chance to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back