Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 16, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #9,061 of 9,688
I was working on a significantly longer post, but the "save draft" feature on this site is only valid for a day or two and then the draft gets deleted, so I can't be bothered to write everything again... 😑

Via an iPhone
OMG don't do this! It sounds like if you're listening to music through a wet sock. Absolutely horrible.

VS Fostex TH-X00 Ebony
Well, the significant price difference really shows here. Sony does everything better and Fostex just feels boomy.

VS Dan Clark Ether 2
Role reversal from the above. Dan Clark does everything better than the Sony. Only thing Sony has going for it is the quantity of bass (which is why I bought them).

With EQ to remove the 3k and 10k peaks
So I did this after about a month of owning the headphones and holy crap, it's as if I got a new pair of headphones again (also pumped the bass up, which again is why I bought them).

Brain burn in is definitely a thing though, because the mids were extremely muffled when I first brought the Sonys home (no memory of it while auditioning in the store, weirdly though, because otherwise I wouldn't have bought them). Now, even though I'm swapping between the Ethers and Sonys, I'm not bothered at all by which initially was an extremely poor first impression. 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: After upgrading to a much more powerful amp
Yeah, ok, the mids are recessed again, and the Ether 2 almost caught up in bass performance. It's still an interesting headphone for electronic music but for everything else, not so much. Next up will be a copper cable upgrade and I'll probably make an edit again after I receive those.

Oh, and very surprised at how much sound the Sonys let in (almost as much as the open Ether 2), while almost not letting any out (again good, because I bought them for office use).

(One thing I almost forgot... the headband material is quite disgusting. Very mushy and almost tacky to the touch. I remember at the store, it was the only headband which was utterly destroyed too... doesn't bode well. It's also still not very comfortable even after a month and change.)

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #9,062 of 9,688
I was working on a significantly longer post, but the "save draft" feature on this site is only valid for a day or two and then the draft gets deleted, so I can't be bothered to write everything again... 😑

Via an iPhone
OMG don't do this! It sounds like if you're listening to music through a wet sock. Absolutely horrible.

VS Fostex TH-X00 Ebony
Well, the significant price difference really shows here. Sony does everything better and Fostex just feels boomy.

VS Dan Clark Ether 2
Role reversal from the above. Dan Clark does everything better than the Sony. Only thing Sony has going for it is the quantity of bass (which is why I bought them).

So I did this after about a month of owning the headphones and holy crap, it's as if I got a new pair of headphones again (also pumped the bass up, which again is why I bought them).

Brain burn in is definitely a thing though, because the mids were extremely muffled when I first brought the Sonys home (no memory of it while auditioning in the store, weirdly though, because otherwise I wouldn't have bought them). Now, even though I'm swapping between the Ethers and Sonys, I'm not bothered at all by which initially was an extremely poor first impression. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, and very surprised at how much sound the Sonys let in (almost as much as the open Ether 2), while almost not letting any out (again good, because I bought them for office use).

(One thing I almost forgot... the headband material is quite disgusting. Very mushy and almost tacky to the touch. I remember at the store, it was the only headband which was utterly destroyed too... doesn't bode well. It's also still not very comfortable even after a month and change.)
After about 6 1/2 years of near daily use my headband, both upper and under side, are almost like new with no problems at all and very comfortable. I also don’t find that they let much sound in at all

May 16, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #9,063 of 9,688

Via an iPhone

VS Fostex TH-X00 Ebony

VS Dan Clark Ether 2

What cable are you using on the Z1R? If stock, you need to replace it with an OCC Copper or OCC Silver cable. Also, don't use any plated cables.

Jun 20, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #9,065 of 9,688
I have now packed my MDR-Z1R down as I’m simply not using it. I’m giving all my time to the IER-Z1R fed from the TA and it is great. I’m not getting rid of the MDR as I also love that and want to keep a full size as there are times when the ears don’t like iems.

Jun 20, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #9,066 of 9,688
I have now packed my MDR-Z1R down as I’m simply not using it. I’m giving all my time to the IER-Z1R fed from the TA and it is great. I’m not getting rid of the MDR as I also love that and want to keep a full size as there are times when the ears don’t like iems.
I've found myself going in the other direction. The TA + IER-Z1R has been my favourite pairing and prompted me to sell my MDR in the past. I repurchased them to use for movie audio, but now find myself often using them for audio for something a bit different. My ears still find the IER-Z1R paired with the TA to overall have the more enjoyable experience.

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #9,067 of 9,688
Same here. Got the MDR’s initially and quickly accompanied them with the IER’s and now rarely use the MDR‘s because the IER’s are so great. I think I might list my pair for sale if anyone in the UK is after a pair - drop me a line.

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #9,068 of 9,688
I use both depending on my mood

Jun 23, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #9,070 of 9,688
Does anyone who owns the MDR Z1R also have the atrium Closed by zmf? curious to hear how they compare and contrast!

Jun 23, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #9,072 of 9,688
I should be able to add some brief impressions next week when my AC arrives.

Thanks! really appreciate it!!! What version did you go with?

Jun 24, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #9,073 of 9,688
I've been listening to some Black Metal with these - specifically Windir's Arntor, and 1184. and my word, even for a genre so 'lo-fi' this makes the production just sing. The lead guitar in 'Saknet' and 'Svartesmeden go Lundamyrstrollet' is just sublime.

Listening on a WM-1AM2 via 4.4mm balanced.

Jun 26, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #9,074 of 9,688
I just acquired an MDR-Z1R and frankly found the sound to be mediocre. Soundstage certainly deserves special mention, and the bass has a pleasantly thick, voluminous, meaty character. Two main quibbles: overblown bass that permeates the rest of the frequency spectrum and recessed, jagged treble.

My initial suspicion was that the stock pads were the limiting factor. I found that if I pressed the pads against my head to bring them closer to my ears, the bass would be brought down, and the treble brought forward. My understanding from the ZMF pads guide was that thicker pads tend to create a more uneven, V-shaped response, whereas flatter pads result in a smoother, more linear response.

With this in mind, I swapped the stock pads for a pair of ZMF BE2 Lambskins. Sure enough, this evened out the tonal response very nicely. Bass is much better controlled and defined than stock, and treble is much smoother, with greater presence, extension, and detail.

Still, I felt the Z1R was a tad dark and bass heavy for my tastes, so I took things a step further, and damped the cups with cotton wool. Now we have a winner. Compared to stock, the modded Z1R is significantly--if not dramatically--improved in terms of clarity, transparency, separation, detail retrieval, and linearity.

For context, other closed back cans I've owned include the Lawton Level 1 Fostex TH900 MK2, Klipsch HP-3, and Beyerdynamic T5p G2. I currently have the ZMF Auteur Classic, Sennheiser HD 800 S and Neumann NDH 30 on hand, and perhaps the best praise I can give the modded Z1R is that I would readily choose them over all the cans listed above.

IMG_1159 Edited.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #9,075 of 9,688
I just acquired an MDR-Z1R and frankly found the sound to be mediocre. Soundstage certainly deserves special mention, and the bass has a pleasantly thick, voluminous, meaty character. Two main quibbles: overblown bass that permeates the rest of the frequency spectrum and recessed, jagged treble.

My initial suspicion was that the stock pads were the limiting factor. I found that if I pressed the pads against my head to bring them closer to my ears, the bass would be brought down, and the treble brought forward. My understanding from the ZMF pads guide was that thicker pads tend to create a more uneven, V-shaped response, whereas flatter pads result in a smoother, more linear response.

With this in mind, I swapped the stock pads for a pair of ZMF BE2 Lambskins. Sure enough, this evened out the tonal response very nicely. Bass is much better controlled and defined than stock, and treble is much smoother, with greater presence, extension, and detail.

Still, I felt the Z1R was a tad dark and bass heavy for my tastes, so I took things a step further, and damped the cups with cotton wool. Now we have a winner. Compared to stock, the modded Z1R is significantly--if not dramatically--improved in terms of clarity, transparency, separation, detail retrieval, and linearity.

For context, other closed back cans I've owned include the Lawton Level 1 Fostex TH900 MK2, Klipsch HP-3, and Beyerdynamic T5p G2. I currently have the ZMF Auteur Classic, Sennheiser HD 800 S and Neumann NDH 30 on hand, and perhaps the best praise I can give the modded Z1R is that I would readily choose them over all the cans listed above.
Silver cable is the way to go, you will not believe the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back