Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 5, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #4,336 of 9,685
harrods london have them on demo. they are still on sony uk website.

Mar 8, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #4,338 of 9,685
@Rob49 a Pic of the cable so you get an idea how long It can reach
15836742153406623128461625065529.jpg

Mar 8, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #4,339 of 9,685
@Rob49 a Pic of the cable so you get an idea how long It can reach

Thank so much for that my friend. I think it would be fine for where i am seated. I think the cables i've already purchased are a combination of copper & silver, without checking ? Would the Kimber cable be so much better ?? Obviously, you can't hear my phones, to comment. I didn't want to go to the expense, if i'm not going to hear much difference and copper is copper and silver is silver, well, that's the way i see it, but there must be some kind of differences, when you see what you can actually pay for a cable !!

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #4,340 of 9,685
Thank so much for that my friend. I think it would be fine for where i am seated. I think the cables i've already purchased are a combination of copper & silver, without checking ? Would the Kimber cable be so much better ?? Obviously, you can't hear my phones, to comment. I didn't want to go to the expense, if i'm not going to hear much difference and copper is copper and silver is silver, well, that's the way i see it, but there must be some kind of differences, when you see what you can actually pay for a cable !!
I like the sound performance of the sony KK, seems to tame these pesky treble peaks the MDR-Z1R has, maybe between 4 to 8kHz region, not sure but now is so damn smooth silky

Mar 9, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #4,343 of 9,685
I like the sound performance of the sony KK, seems to tame these pesky treble peaks the MDR-Z1R has, maybe between 4 to 8kHz region, not sure but now is so damn smooth silky
This what I’m hearing as well out of my Z1R and Sony/Kimber Kable. The sound is so immersive when listening to the Z1R’s out of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0.

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #4,344 of 9,685
Listening to my Z1R's out of the Burson Conductor 3X, single-ended, and I've never heard them sound so taunt, dynamic and snappy. The Conductor 3X is in complete command of the Sony drivers. I don't recall them performing in this manner until today. The bass is always big on the Z1R's, but now it seem to have gain a little quickness as well. My Z1R's have gotten a performance boost it seems. Synergy....... :L3000:

Mar 20, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #4,345 of 9,685
I must say this is a peculiar-sounding headphone. Mixed feelings about it: on the one hand, they do have this spikey treble that can annoy (even with a copper cable upgrade), but at the same time I enjoy that crisp detail or etched quality, that seems to really throw a spotlight on individual instruments, such as a single oboe or viola line in an orchestral backdrop. And then on the other hand there is this immersive warmth and bass fullness to the presentation that is lovely, and with a great soundstage (again making orchestral music wonderful to listen to). And yet it has a really dry tonality, metallic-y. Both dry and warm. Kind of unique that way. But to properly enjoy this headphone I need to bring equalization into play: I turn the treble and mids down on my Schiit Loki analogue equalizer. Then I can enjoy the immersive warmth of it, and detail at the same time...

I'm all for creative employments, and thinking outside the box, even when the result is a bit eccentric. So, even though I have headphones that are technically much better, for now at least I'm still keeping the Z1R, and (surprisingly perhaps) deriving satisfaction from them...Happy listening! And may you all have some good headphone time in these trying times...

Mar 22, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #4,347 of 9,685
While purchasing my focal stellia I listened to various cans. I listened to the z1r and thought I would hate it. I prefer very analytical headphones. And the z1r's signature is not appealing...on paper. But something amazing happened when listening - I enjoyed it! I couldn't get it out of my head. I kept thinking of about the contradictory experience. Well I recently purchased the z1r's. And I absolutely love them. The stellia is great in it's own right, but there's something so... Pleasurable about the z1r's.

My current collection is ZMF Atticus & eikon, Focal Stellia, audio Technica msr7 (fantastic headphone), Yoga CD-2500, Aeon 2 closed, and JH Angie's.

And these sonys have been getting nearly all my attention...

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #4,348 of 9,685
While purchasing my focal stellia I listened to various cans. I listened to the z1r and thought I would hate it. I prefer very analytical headphones. And the z1r's signature is not appealing...on paper. But something amazing happened when listening - I enjoyed it! I couldn't get it out of my head. I kept thinking of about the contradictory experience. Well I recently purchased the z1r's. And I absolutely love them. The stellia is great in it's own right, but there's something so... Pleasurable about the z1r's.

My current collection is ZMF Atticus & eikon, Focal Stellia, audio Technica msr7 (fantastic headphone), Yoga CD-2500, Aeon 2 closed, and JH Angie's.

And these sonys have been getting nearly all my attention...
Congrats on the purchase. The Z1R’s are stellar headphones. I’ve haven’t heard anything that sounds like them. They’re so musical and that bass! It’s fills out the low end and adds so much body to the music.

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #4,349 of 9,685
Mar 23, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #4,350 of 9,685
I'm looking for a couple of pointers from the folks here. I just received my Z1R cans last week and have them paired w/ my WM1A walkman via the stock 4.4mm balanced cable.

1. Did Sony ever produce a 4ft balanced Kimber Kable? I see a 2 meter balanced version and a 1.2 meter unbalanced version but not a 1.2 meter balanced option.
2. Is there anyone here w/ the same pairing (WM1A > stock 4.4mm balanced > Z1R) that can recommend solid EQ settings?

Many thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back