Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #4,741 of 9,686
It should be noted though that the included MDR-Z1R cable is generally accepted by many to be improved on by the basic Kimber. Where in contrast the included IER-Z1R cable is the equivalent or better than the basic Kimber. Also it has been noted that many said it’s takes a fair expense to beat the IER-Z1R included cable.

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #4,742 of 9,686
It should be noted though that the included MDR-Z1R cable is generally accepted by many to be improved on by the basic Kimber. Where in contrast the included IER-Z1R cable is the equivalent or better than the basic Kimber. Also it has been noted that many said it’s takes a fair expense to beat the IER-Z1R included cable.

Yes the stock IER cable is actually very good while the stock MDR is average at best

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #4,743 of 9,686
I have to concur. I tested the iFi Hip DAC with my IER-Z1R along with my FiiO M6 using the balanced 4.4mm cable. The results are the same when using the 1A, which is to say the sound signature hasn't improved or worsened. So it may back up your theory that the cable supplied by Sony is so darn good, perhaps getting ANY headphone amp may not be necessary. Still going to go to E-Earphone to see how big the jump will be using the PHA-2A and the TA. But survey says, that 1A DAP is much better than I expected.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #4,744 of 9,686
I have to concur. I tested the iFi Hip DAC with my IER-Z1R along with my FiiO M6 using the balanced 4.4mm cable. The results are the same when using the 1A, which is to say the sound signature hasn't improved or worsened. So it may back up your theory that the cable supplied by Sony is so darn good, perhaps getting ANY headphone amp may not be necessary. Still going to go to E-Earphone to see how big the jump will be using the PHA-2A and the TA. But survey says, that 1A DAP is much better than I expected.

Because the aftermarket Kimber is such a fix-all with both the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7.....I naturally ordered a MMCX 4.4mm Kimber to go with the IER-Z1R. Though after burn-in it turned out that both the Kimber and included IER-Z1R cables were very close. I actually believe that Sony uses cables at time to tune headphones. Though both the included Z7 3.5mm X 2 balanced and the 4.4mm MDR-Z1R included cables are nothing to write home about. Both the XBA-N3 cable and IER-Z1R included cable seemed to have a “tune”. The N3 cable seemed to curtail bass, the IER-Z1R seemed to push treble? These are simply my own ideas.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #4,745 of 9,686
Because the aftermarket Kimber is such a fix-all with both the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7.....I naturally ordered a MMCX 4.4mm Kimber to go with the IER-Z1R. Though after burn-in it turned out that both the Kimber and included IER-Z1R cables were very close. I actually believe that Sony uses cables at time to tune headphones. Though both the included Z7 3.5mm X 2 balanced and the 4.4mm MDR-Z1R included cables are nothing to write home about. Both the XBA-N3 cable and IER-Z1R included cable seemed to have a “tune”. The N3 cable seemed to curtail bass, the IER-Z1R seemed to push treble? These are simply my own ideas.
The treble is more noticeable in the IER, I do concur.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #4,746 of 9,686
Gys
but it's also 3m long. Sheesh, do people sit across the room from their listening stations? :sweat_smile:

Yes, i do....some disabled people have to....depending on where their couch is ? So cable length is always important to me....i.e. trying to find longer length cables, which of course cost more !

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #4,747 of 9,686
The treble is more noticeable in the IER, I do concur.

No, what I’m explaining is actually taking cables and moving them to other IEMs and trying to figure out if there is a personality. Obviously it’s a fairly convoluted subject. The IER-Z1R stock 4.4mm MMCX seemed to boost treble a little? It was using the Sony IEM cable on other IEMs.

What happens is you start to get a feeling about what cables do. But.....the idea may not always hold true. Meaning many times these attributes are perceived but maybe not 100% of the time. Just as the Kimber seems to enhance the listenability of the treble in the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7? The stock cables in that instance have slight glare?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #4,749 of 9,686
No, what I’m explaining is actually taking cables and moving them to other IEMs and trying to figure out if there is a personality. Obviously it’s a fairly convoluted subject. The IER-Z1R stock 4.4mm MMCX seemed to boost treble a little? It was using the Sony IEM cable on other IEMs.

What happens is you start to get a feeling about what cables do. But.....the idea may not always hold true. Meaning many times these attributes are perceived but maybe not 100% of the time. Just as the Kimber seems to enhance the listenability of the treble in the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7? The stock cables in that instance have slight glare?
Ah. To specify what I mean, when I compared it to the M9 and my XM3 cans and earbuds, the treble is more detailed but not as strong as the 1AM2. The 1A with the balanced 4.4mm 1AM2 combo smooths the trouble where it doesn’t have a piercing effect. And you could be right. It may be just what I am perceiving

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #4,750 of 9,686
Yes, i do....some disabled people have to....depending on where their couch is ? So cable length is always important to me....i.e. trying to find longer length cables, which of course cost more !
Sorry, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I hope you didn't take any offense to that.

My issues with long cables stem from their weight, and the obvious bulk. My room is rather small, and so, I listen to music right in front of my computer desk, where my DAC and amp reside. Long cables tend to be unwieldy and fall all over the place. They also add extra weight to my cans, and this decreases comfort. Anyway, my search for a 3rd-party cable continues.

Happy listening!

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #4,751 of 9,686
That's crazy expensive. It's still a stock cable, after all.

Speaking of Kimber, I was intending to get one with the 1/4" termination, but it's also 3m long. Sheesh, do people sit across the room from their listening stations? :sweat_smile:
Like @Redcarmoose was saying, what's wrong with a "stock" cable?

And yes, I plan to chill on a nearby couch (once I get one) and the 3 meters will prove handy.

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #4,752 of 9,686
Like @Redcarmoose was saying, what's wrong with a "stock" cable?

And yes, I plan to chill on a nearby couch (once I get one) and the 3 meters will prove handy.
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a stock cable; it's just that the ones that are shipped with the Z1R are too long. From my listening position, 1.5m is about the longest my cables should go before it becomes a little too unwieldy for comfortable use.

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #4,753 of 9,686
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a stock cable; it's just that the ones that are shipped with the Z1R are too long. From my listening position, 1.5m is about the longest my cables should go before it becomes a little too unwieldy for comfortable use.

Yes 1,5 meter is all I need and want

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #4,754 of 9,686
Yes 1,5 meter is all I need and want
The ifi hip dac in the headphone amp
Didn’t improve much. I’m wondering if the PHA-2A or the TA might worth to further the sound quality. But with the DAPs I have now, it May be too little of an improvement

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #4,755 of 9,686
The ifi hip dac in the headphone amp
Didn’t improve much. I’m wondering if the PHA-2A or the TA might worth to further the sound quality. But with the DAPs I have now, it May be too little of an improvement

I doubt you’ll get much improvement over the dap’s with the IER

Users who are viewing this thread

Back