Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #4,756 of 9,685
I doubt you’ll get much improvement over the dap’s with the IER
How about your TA? Is it strictly for your MDR-Z1R? If I recall the picture of yourself correctly

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #4,757 of 9,685
That's crazy expensive. It's still a stock cable, after all.

Speaking of Kimber, I was intending to get one with the 1/4" termination, but it's also 3m long. Sheesh, do people sit across the room from their listening stations? :sweat_smile:
For my old setup I had a 20' cable for my LCD-X to get from my equipment rack to my chair. Now I have a Sony TA on the table next to my chair so 1.5m cable is long enough for the MDR-Z1R.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #4,758 of 9,685
How about your TA? Is it strictly for your MDR-Z1R? If I recall the picture of yourself correctly

I use it almost exclusively with the MDR. i have tried it with the IER and it sounds good but different and it’s a different source. I like having a pair of full size phones but I would be perfectly happy with just 1Z and IER and if I had had that combo first I probably would not have bought the TA and MDR

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #4,759 of 9,685
I use it almost exclusively with the MDR. i have tried it with the IER and it sounds good but different and it’s a different source. I like having a pair of full size phones but I would be perfectly happy with just 1Z and IER and if I had had that combo first I probably would not have bought the TA and MDR
Ah. Plus the MDR requires more juice to follow realize it’s potential versus the IER, correct?

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #4,760 of 9,685
Ah. Plus the MDR requires more juice to follow realize it’s potential versus the IER, correct?

Possibly although I think it sounds perfectly good from the balanced out on the 1Z

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #4,761 of 9,685
Possibly although I think it sounds perfectly good from the balanced out on the 1Z
You connect the TA to your 1Z using the 1Z cradle and then output to your MDR?

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #4,762 of 9,685
Sorry, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I hope you didn't take any offense to that.

My issues with long cables stem from their weight, and the obvious bulk. My room is rather small, and so, I listen to music right in front of my computer desk, where my DAC and amp reside. Long cables tend to be unwieldy and fall all over the place. They also add extra weight to my cans, and this decreases comfort. Anyway, my search for a 3rd-party cable continues.

Happy listening!

No, not at all. As pointing out, some people have a need for long cables. ( Not sure if @candlejack is waiting for a long cable....or a couch ! ?? ) I do have various lengths of cable & stupidly ( sometimes ) have got an 8ft cable connected to my Walkman and will one day trip, when moving around....my own fault entirely !!

I hope you find a suitable cabble you're happy with, on all fronts !

Happy listening too !

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #4,763 of 9,685
You connect the TA to your 1Z using the 1Z cradle and then output to your MDR?

No have never used the 1Z as source for TA only ever as a stand alone dap with the MDR or IER straight from the balanced output

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #4,764 of 9,685
No have never used the 1Z as source for TA only ever as a stand alone dap with the MDR or IER straight from the balanced output
What is your source for TA for music? PC?

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #4,765 of 9,685
What is your source for TA for music? PC?

An Auralic Aries Mini streamer with a build in 2TB ssd and full Tidal support

28ED5C30-C61D-4E16-B000-B1B2C8FC37AF.jpeg

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #4,766 of 9,685

Perhaps my source can be my Windows PC to the TA and then to the MDR-Z1R. Could that work? Not setup by the way

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #4,767 of 9,685
Perhaps my source can be my Windows PC to the TA and then to the MDR-Z1R. Could that work? Not setup by the way

That would absolutely work but a pc is notorious for being able to introduce all sorts of electrical interference and noise to the sound signal. Wether you can hear it is another thing though

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #4,768 of 9,685

28ED5C30-C61D-4E16-B000-B1B2C8FC37AF.jpeg
It's better not to place the midst of the headband onto the headphone racks since the sponge will be squeezed. Sony actually has a brilliant design here which is rarely noticed that the left and right ends of the headband are NOT stuffed with sponge so you can sit the headphone by either of these two parts to prevent crushing the sponge. If you find the interview of the Sony Taiyo factory on the Z1R you'll see a photo of the phones placed in this way. It also took me these 3 years to suddenly realize this fact..

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #4,769 of 9,685
It's better not to place the midst of the headband onto the headphone racks since the sponge will be squeezed. Sony actually has a brilliant design here which is rarely noticed that the left and right ends of the headband are NOT stuffed with sponge so you can sit the headphone by either of these two parts to prevent crushing the sponge. If you find the interview of the Sony Taiyo factory on the Z1R you'll see a photo of the phones placed in this way. It also took me these 3 years to suddenly realize this fact..

I've noticed no bad effects of haning them like this for 3 1/2 years now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back