Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 9, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #6,286 of 9,685
@gerelmx1986 I recently contacted Dekoni on the exchange of hybrid pads for something that retains the signature of the sony, told them that I didn't like the way Hybrid changed the sound signature. Dekoni came up with Sheepskin leather as the closest one to stock; however, this is quite a surprise compared to your review. Your thought?
Both sheepskins yo my ears (and the ears of my husband) removed much bass

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #6,287 of 9,685
It is between that or getting the NW-WM1Z and keeping the Shure SRH1540s. I have the NW-WM1A.
With the exception of comfort, which the Shure also excels in, the MDR-Z1R is a general upgrade over the SRH1540 in every facet of its sound. The bass, especially, is highly impressive, with fluid, discernable layers mixed with great texture to afford a grand presentation. If you enjoy a lusher, thicker signature, the Sony is one of the best in the business.

Hence, I'd easily take the headphone over the NW-WM1Z; keep your Shure, buy the MDR-Z1R, and enjoy the heck out of these 2 cans.

But that's just me. :) I hope you find what you are looking for!

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #6,288 of 9,685
With the exception of comfort, which the Shure also excels in, the MDR-Z1R is a general upgrade over the SRH1540 in every facet of its sound. The bass, especially, is highly impressive, with fluid, discernable layers mixed with great texture to afford a grand presentation. If you enjoy a lusher, thicker signature, the Sony is one of the best in the business.

Hence, I'd easily take the headphone over the NW-WM1Z; keep your Shure, buy the MDR-Z1R, and enjoy the heck out of these 2 cans.

But that's just me. :) I hope you find what you are looking for!

I really love my Shure headphones, so I can only imagine how these Sony headphones sound!

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #6,289 of 9,685
It took some time but finally back to the amazing Z1R 😍
2C83722E-81F8-438C-B0BC-2237240F0BCA.jpeg

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #6,290 of 9,685
I really love my Shure headphones, so I can only imagine how these Sony headphones sound!
Without delving into ad-speak, the MDR-Z1R has a spacious, full sound that is thoroughly verdant and lush with detail and texture. As I've mentioned, the bass is its most impressive aspect, IMO. You'll be hard pressed to find a better-sounding presentation that balances the twin aspects of quality and quantity. I have heard razor-sharp low-end regions before that are clinical, precise, and exceptionally articulate; however, they lack in overall emotion (i.e. SR-009S, HD 800 S). Just remember, the MDR-Z1R is not a lean-sounding headphone; rather, it is warm and bold, with a velvety tone that oozes charm and character.

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #6,292 of 9,685
The bass of the Z1R sounds like no other headphone I've heard because while it's cohesive with the mix it has a sound that makes it feel like it's coming from a different driver in a way. How it can have so much authority and punch but never gets in the way of the mids and highs is very impressive.

It's also quite detailed for being such a warm headphone but it presents the detail in a very smooth manner. I'll be listening and thinking I'm missing something so I put on my AP2000ti which is very detailed and I hear everything I do with the Z1R but in a more direct way. They have a signature that's all their own and that soundstage is by far the best I've heard from a closed headphone even making a lot of open-back headphones sound on the smaller side.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #6,293 of 9,685
I just got an RME ADI-2 FS - do you still use these settings? I'll give them a go.
Sorry I didn’t respond sooner; I missed this post.

That post you quoted is old. I have been using 3 PEQ settings for the MDR-Z1R on the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. See this post from 3.23.2020
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-z1r-listening-impressions-only.853330/post-15525104

Make three PEQ curves and listen and see what you like the best for your sources. I also have changed my preferences for when I use each PEQ curve from that last post (the PEQ settings themselves didn’t change): I listen to the setting I labeled [S9] for most music now (unless it is a very dynamic-range older recording that sounds a little muffled and then I use [S7]). For TV/movie listening over headphones I use mostly the [S7] PEQ curve instead of the original [S1] I mentioned. That original PEQ [S1] is still good when I run into recordings where the dialog just sounds too digital or sibilant to me.

I also changed the “Bass” settings in the RME‘s “I/O” settings:
Bass: gain +2.5, 85Hz, Q 0.9 [it was a gain of 2.0 in that old post].
Treble: 0/no change

The added bass just sounds right to me, especially since I do most of my listening on IER-Z1R IEMs with so much great bass that I thought the MDR-Z1Rs sounded thin with my settings.

I hope you have fun tuning your RME with your Z1Rs like I did.
Cheers,
Gus

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #6,294 of 9,685
I find the MDR-Z1R as @BubbaJay says, detailed, despite being warm. The bass at times feels like floor hi-end speakers. Yeah even on 16|44,1 recordings (esp. Organ music. With 1|2.8224MHz the bass kick even deeper and feels more natural

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #6,295 of 9,685
Sorry I didn’t respond sooner; I missed this post.

That post you quoted is old. I have been using 3 PEQ settings for the MDR-Z1R on the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. See this post from 3.23.2020
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-z1r-listening-impressions-only.853330/post-15525104

Make three PEQ curves and listen and see what you like the best for your sources. I also have changed my preferences for when I use each PEQ curve from that last post (the PEQ settings themselves didn’t change): I listen to the setting I labeled [S9] for most music now (unless it is a very dynamic-range older recording that sounds a little muffled and then I use [S7]). For TV/movie listening over headphones I use mostly the [S7] PEQ curve instead of the original [S1] I mentioned. That original PEQ [S1] is still good when I run into recordings where the dialog just sounds too digital or sibilant to me.

I also changed the “Bass” settings in the RME‘s “I/O” settings:
Bass: gain +2.5, 85Hz, Q 0.9 [it was a gain of 2.0 in that old post].
Treble: 0/no change

The added bass just sounds right to me, especially since I do most of my listening on IER-Z1R IEMs with so much great bass that I thought the MDR-Z1Rs sounded thin with my settings.

I hope you have fun tuning your RME with your Z1Rs like I did.
Cheers,
Gus
No worries - thanks very much for your reply Gus.
Since I've had it I've been really busy so have had very little listening time. During my Christmas break I'll read the manual and have a go with the settings you and another user provided me - I'm interested to see how my Z1R sound with the different settings.

Dec 17, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #6,299 of 9,685
I was Korean of a question or so, I may be confused as.also on the IER-Z1R are doing speculation of a M2. But I think perhaps only Walkman would come out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back