Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 25, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #9,361 of 9,645
I'm in a similar boat here. Have a Z1R that I simply ADORE. My pair sounds utterly musical, lovely, romantic, and intoxicating. Unfortunately I am thinking about the E3 hype and am considering trying it but would need to sell my Z1R to fund it lol. A very painful idea to even ponder to be honest because of my deep love for the Z1R but here I am nonetheless. Anyone able to provide some comparisons of the Z1R vs the E3? I've never heard the Stealth/Expanse so those comparisons won't help me much but I did own an Ether 2 for a while which I also really enjoyed. Not sure if I'll be able to actually bring myself to sell my Z1R but we shall see lol... I guess I could always buy one back if the E3 disappoints?

Thanks for any comparison/impressions anyone can provide!
I haven’t heard new one but DCA headphone are comfortable just like Sony. However unlike Sony they need better and powerful amplifier to come alive. Also they adhere to Harman curve a lot and Sony is anything but that.
One thing I have read a lot about DCA is lack of dynamic nature and I’m not sure if they have fixed that in new one.

Dec 25, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #9,362 of 9,645
My advice would be to not ever sell a headphone you like so much. You will undoubtedly regret it.

The E3 is likely to suffer from the same issue as all other Mr. Speakers / DCA headphones: lack of dynamics. Why not wait to hear it at a shop/show and then decide. I've heard the Stealth and Expanse at audio shows with very high end gear and I could not have been more disappointed.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #9,363 of 9,645
My advice would be to not ever sell a headphone you like so much. You will undoubtedly regret it.

The E3 is likely to suffer from the same issue as all other Mr. Speakers / DCA headphones: lack of dynamics. Why not wait to hear it at a shop/show and then decide. I've heard the Stealth and Expanse at audio shows with very high end gear and I could not have been more disappointed.
That’s really great advice actually. Selling my Z1R would in some ways to me feel like letting go of a best friend. I have a deep appreciation for what it can do sonically and bring out of me emotionally as well. I’ll heed your advice and keep it because you’re right, I will regret it. I regret even thinking about selling it haha.

I still plan to maybe fund an e3 though. I do hear the e3 has a very similar sound to the stealth/expanse where they don’t sound very far apart from one another. Any chance you could go into why the stealth and expanse disappointed you personally?

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #9,364 of 9,645
I haven't owned them. I only heard them at several audio shows/events. So to avoid being unfair, I won't go into details except to say that they were some of the most unexciting, emotionless high-end headphones I have heard. Good build, no lack of detail, but for me the opposite of what the MDR-Z1R or ZMFs deliver.

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #9,365 of 9,645
has anyone paired the MDR-Z1R's with the Questyle M15?

Dec 26, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #9,366 of 9,645
BURSON CONDUCTOR 3 REFERENCE... owners, could you share your experience? I'm thinking like an all in one for the Sony MDR Z1R.

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #9,367 of 9,645
BURSON CONDUCTOR 3 REFERENCE... owners, could you share your experience? I'm thinking like an all in one for the Sony MDR Z1R.
I had this combo… it was ok but not my favorite pairing.. too much power. Sounds best in high gain but can be too loud at 5% volume or less so it’s hard to fine tune perfect desired volume. Synergy is ok but nothing special. I recommend trying something else personally.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #9,368 of 9,645
Burson conductor is amazing (I have it) but it depends on what would you like to have from the pairing.
What kind of sound do you imagine? I am not using it with Z1R but I got exactly what I wanted with Burson.
Clean, sharp, precise sound with lots of power.

Cheers!

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #9,369 of 9,645
I want to ask if the jacks in the cups feel wobbly wgen you wiggke the plugs of your connected cable?

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #9,371 of 9,645
My MDR have now been packed down for over 6 months as I hardly used them any longer, the IER from the Tazzy get all the time. I still love the MDR and I’m not getting rid of them though.

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #9,372 of 9,645
I will, will my I decide to test an on both sides, Jacksonville weekly but the sound doesn't cut off on the new cable on , byt on yhe old one

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #9,373 of 9,645
I want to ask if the jacks in the cups feel wobbly wgen you wiggke the plugs of your connected cable?
I have a brand new pair and before screwing down, yes, ever so slight wiggle on both sides, but I suspect you want a little give in the jacks to avoid damage. I wouldn't call it worrisome amounts of wiggle.

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #9,374 of 9,645
That’s really great advice actually. Selling my Z1R would in some ways to me feel like letting go of a best friend. I have a deep appreciation for what it can do sonically and bring out of me emotionally as well. I’ll heed your advice and keep it because you’re right, I will regret it. I regret even thinking about selling it haha.

I still plan to maybe fund an e3 though. I do hear the e3 has a very similar sound to the stealth/expanse where they don’t sound very far apart from one another. Any chance you could go into why the stealth and expanse disappointed you personally?
Having owned the Z1R (in the past) for a couple months, and having just returned my E3, I do deeply appreciate what Dan Clark has done — however it's not as dynamic as the Z1R — but it makes up for that in better detail and separation than the Sony.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back