Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 3, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #5,851 of 9,173
I still don't hear that 2nd guitar???
LOL!

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #5,855 of 9,173
So how are the headphones recorded?

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #5,856 of 9,173
So how are the headphones recorded?

Just iPad Air 2 camera face in toward the HP ! I made a mistake that it was the left channel to the right one....so the left channel did not have the second guitar. I will try my best to take another clip...not a pro at it...appologies. It is super hard to do so, because I don't want to slip my iPad and ruin the drivers ....

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #5,857 of 9,173
That explains the bassier sound of video 2 (modded pair) in your first post in this thread (page 390) compared to the non-modded pair. The left channel in Beat it is fuller sounding than the right.
To make a valid comparsion you have to record the right channel of the modded pair.

EDIT: I see you just did that!

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #5,858 of 9,173
That explains the bassier sound of video 2 (modded pair) in your first post in this thread (page 390) compared to the non-modded pair. The left channel in Beat it is fuller sounding than the right.
To make a valid comparsion you have to record the right channel of the modded pair.

EDIT: I see you just did that!

Thank you ! I tried hard. I am not a fan of Internet videos streaming, or recording footages stuff. I am a real newbie at it. Glad that you appreciate it. It is also very hard to tell the differences in videos.

All of those hard works went out to say that the Z7 does definitely improve in sounds quality after mod and cables.

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #5,859 of 9,173
I'm going to get cables from Surf Cables in they're 20 (AWG) which is the thickest one and will improve the sound the most, so they say.

Now when it comes to doing the mod I'm not as eager to move forward on that. I've really come to enjoy the way the Z7 sounds and I'm afraid the mod will change them to much. The bass is one of my favorite parts with that thick sound, good sub-bass and the perfect decay so I don't want to effect that.

I think for now I'm going to get the cable and see how that effects the SQ and signature and go from there. I know I can always take the tape off if I don't like the way the mod sounds but I'd rather wait and see how it plays out with a few more people, though I did already buy what I need to do it.

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #5,860 of 9,173
I'm going to get cables from Surf Cables in they're 20 (AWG) which is the thickest one and will improve the sound the most, so they say.

Now when it comes to doing the mod I'm not as eager to move forward on that. I've really come to enjoy the way the Z7 sounds and I'm afraid the mod will change them to much. The bass is one of my favorite parts with that thick sound, good sub-bass and the perfect decay so I don't want to effect that.

I think for now I'm going to get the cable and see how that effects the SQ and signature and go from there. I know I can always take the tape off if I don't like the way the mod sounds but I'd rather wait and see how it plays out with a few more people, though I did already buy what I need to do it.

Actually, never mind. The mod do improve the Z7 a lot, but it is a very hard job, and if your driver is damaged, you are done for....and the Z7 is like 450-750$ ...not cheap.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #5,861 of 9,173
Actually, never mind. The mod do improve the Z7 a lot, but it is a very hard job, and if your driver is damaged, you are done for....and the Z7 is like 450-750$ ...not cheap.

I'm not to worried about damaging the drivers because I'm pretty good with my hands and I take my time. For me it comes down to the sound change. If the bass sounds a lot like it originally does but just a bit cleaner then I'd be very happy with that along with the other improvements I seen you mention. I'll know after I get the cables whether or not I'll do the damping mod. I already got the tape and have everything I need and I really was planing on doing it but just thought I should wait and hear how they sound with new cables. I'm still leaning toward the Surf cables because of cost but the Kimber Kables look so darn good. I think the Surf cables will probably improve the Z7 as much as the Kimber's would but I could be wrong.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #5,863 of 9,173
Has anyone compared these to Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs? Folks seem to say they have a similar signature (warm, good bass).

I had a brief demo with these, about a half hour or so and they seemed to have a more airy sound up top than the Mad Dogs I owned at that time. From what I remember, the Mad Dog was thicker in the low end because the low-mids were pushed forward and the Z7 had great bass but also had very spacious highs. The Mad Dog seemed more intimate than these. I'd say you could call the Z7 a concert hall and the Mad Dog a mid-sized studio.

YMMV. This is how recall them sounding.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #5,864 of 9,173
I'm not to worried about damaging the drivers because I'm pretty good with my hands and I take my time. For me it comes down to the sound change. If the bass sounds a lot like it originally does but just a bit cleaner then I'd be very happy with that along with the other improvements I seen you mention. I'll know after I get the cables whether or not I'll do the damping mod. I already got the tape and have everything I need and I really was planing on doing it but just thought I should wait and hear how they sound with new cables. I'm still leaning toward the Surf cables because of cost but the Kimber Kables look so darn good. I think the Surf cables will probably improve the Z7 as much as the Kimber's would but I could be wrong.

Remember to keep us updated :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back