Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Feb 12, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #121 of 348
  Wondering if I should get this or a Schiit stack..

Depends. If you're a gamer, you should probably get this as your surround sound processor and DAC, then get an external amp later. If you already have a soundblaster Z, you may as well just get an optical modi and magni.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #122 of 348
I think this may have worked for me also! I can play Dragon Age now using the Home Theatre option and now it doesn't sound narrow and flat... there is certainly an improvement in 3D audio positioning which I just wasn't getting under stereo/headphones ^^
Also in battlefield I had it set up as Home Theatre and Stereo, but now it's Home Theatre and Surround and it sounds much improved now! I can hear people running around much easier and bullets and missiles whiz by me as I'd expect so I'm much happier now ^^

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #123 of 348
Depends. If you're a gamer, you should probably get this as your surround sound processor and DAC, then get an external amp later. If you already have a soundblaster Z, you may as well just get an optical modi and magni.

If you do go the Z+Modi route, spend some time comparing with and without the Modi, ask if the Modi is a significant upgrade from the DAC inside the SB Z...

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #124 of 348
If you do go the Z+Modi route, spend some time comparing with and without the Modi, ask if the Modi is a significant upgrade from the DAC inside the SB Z...

YMMV, but for me, it was. By using the optical out, you bypass the headphone amp that would otherwise be double-amping everything. On a real level, unless you're using higher-mid range headphones, you  may not tell a difference. Using the optical modi just gives you a chance to turn on stereo direct and let the Modi do all the music stuff while ignoring the DAC and DSP, and then you can turn on the DSP when you game.

You usually can't tell with DACs unless there's some double amping (like with the Z to a magni) or you're using a higher end headphone that reveals that kind of stuff (which again, is minimal unless your DAC uses a filter of some kind.)

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #125 of 348
[noob question to X7 owners]

On paper this thing sounds very promising but I have one question that is not answered after reading the user guide:

Is it possible to use the X7 stand alone (without a PC connection over USB)?

My PC is not powered on all the time and i want to use the X7 as an amp for my Raspberry Pi+Hifiberry music player using the line in. Passive bookshelf speakers connected to L+R.

thanks!

Cheers Ragious

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #128 of 348
I got the X7 last week and have been pretty impressed with it so far. It's a nice piece of kit. Seems to have a mostly neutral sound with a slight warmth to the overall signature. Background is completely black with a set of HD700 thanks to the stellar SNR rating. I do find it's not great at feeding other lower impedance headphones as the volume has to be at such a low level that switching from the AD700x to using line-out for my 2.1 system, you have to crank it up significantly to get a full-bodied signature. It works much better with headphones that are harder to drive for this reason if you have multiple outputs you're switching between. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the sound signature. I've been a big fan of Burr Brown DACs and the X7 really sounds terrifically detailed and musical with the stock op-amp setup.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #129 of 348
  Can anyone compare this to odac+o2 or schiit stack?How much different is the sound quality?Looking for a desktop usb dac

2nd this if anyone has any comparisons to other desktop DAC/AMP setups that weren't covered earlier in this thread, I'd love to hear the comparison.

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #131 of 348
  2nd this if anyone has any comparisons to other desktop DAC/AMP setups that weren't covered earlier in this thread, I'd love to hear the comparison.

Sound wise, the  X7 is slightly warmer, and has the potential to sound better (due to the OP amps.) The two setups are both known for being somewhat bright. You can't beat the convenience of the X7 though. I'm even thinking of getting some Audioengine P4s/A5+s to mess around with the speaker settings as I wait for my ZMF headphones.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #133 of 348
  [noob question to X7 owners]

On paper this thing sounds very promising but I have one question that is not answered after reading the user guide:

Is it possible to use the X7 stand alone (without a PC connection over USB)?

My PC is not powered on all the time and i want to use the X7 as an amp for my Raspberry Pi+Hifiberry music player using the line in. Passive bookshelf speakers connected to L+R.

thanks!

Cheers Ragious

Yes, it can be used standalone without PC.
But if previously connected to PC, and you select Direct Mode, Line Input will not work, as the X7 will stay on Direct Mode when power is connected.
Simple fix is to unplug the power, and plug it back. It will goes back to default connection which is the DSP playback mode, and line input will work.
It is explained in my review on the 'Control Panel' section.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #134 of 348
The two reviews of these by @evshrug and @earfonia are top-notch! Thanks, guys!

Anyway, having an issue w/ this plugged in via USB on my HTC One M8: the sound is coming in with static. This happens whether playing via Rocket Player or Spotify.

This does not happen via bluetooth or when playing Xbox 360.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #135 of 348
The two reviews of these by @evshrug and @earfonia are top-notch! Thanks, guys!

Anyway, having an issue w/ this plugged in via USB on my HTC One M8: the sound is coming in with static. This happens whether playing via Rocket Player or Spotify.

This does not happen via bluetooth or when playing Xbox 360.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Not sure. Never had that experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back