Sound card with a lot of outputs?
Feb 4, 2014 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ferday

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking at maybe getting a new sound card with no shortage of outputs. Currently using the outputs on my AMD video card (hdmi and optical) but I'm adding a few amps / dacs to the collection and would like to have them all hooked up and use Jriver to zone them.

Don't need an amp or anything exotic, just plenty of outputs. I know this has been covered in a lot of threads but I'm going to happen to be at the local computer outlet today so if I happen to get a suggestion...

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 5
MOTU Ultralite has 14 outs in total. $550 though.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3/i-o.html

Perfect for your application though. Audio Express is cheaper if you can manage with 6 outs.

M-Audio used to make the least expensive model I know of with 8 outs.

Don't know how easy it is to find now.

Look for a Fast Track ULtra.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Hi, I'm looking at maybe getting a new sound card with no shortage of outputs. Currently using the outputs on my AMD video card (hdmi and optical) but I'm adding a few amps / dacs to the collection and would like to have them all hooked up and use Jriver to zone them.

Don't need an amp or anything exotic, just plenty of outputs. I know this has been covered in a lot of threads but I'm going to happen to be at the local computer outlet today so if I happen to get a suggestion...

Thanks!

Hmm... are you planning to output from one JRiver player or from many JRiver players to different devices through S/PDIF ... ?

Maybe a S/PDIF splitter - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-In-4-Out-Digital-Optical-Audio-S-PDIF-Toslink-Splitter-Digital-Audio-Repeater-/121153123929

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 5
Feb 8, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Really appreciate the responses!

Actually it was the first scenario I was looking at, but the second is more likely as I don't normally play multiple zones at once. I started looking at distribution amps...

What has happened due to "fate" is I scored a couple DLNA amps from friends for cheap, got a xonar STX on sale, and didn't disable my onboard spdif. So far it's working so I have 2 spdif, 2 RCA outs and 2 hdmi outs (from my graphics card) which combined with the 2 DLNA amps is giving me 8 "zones", and I had 2 wd tv live boxes so I also have 2 more DLNA zones

It's not flawlessly working but I can get it working for every situation that I've ran into so far in real life, plus the STX provides me another amp option to keep a set of cans plugged into. I think when we finally move to another house in a few years I'll get in to a high end distro amp and do it right with hardwiring and all that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back