Spacious planar magnetic headphones with a textured and deep bass
Dec 31, 2021 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

squadgazzz

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there!
Currently, I use LCD-2 Classic with a parametric equalizer(oratory1990 preset) which really helps to compensate mids, boost lows, and add some treble.
I like almost everything in these headphones. The resolution, textured, detailed and deep bass. And the most I like is its spaciousness. I feel like at a concert. I don't really feel I wear something on my head.

The only reason I initiated another search is their lows. I feel some pressure and sometimes sub-bass makes my ears some kind of deaf. I've already tried to turn off sub-bass with EQ but there's something in construction or overall presentation. Have no idea what's going on. Also, I've tried to use them with another sound system.

So, are there any alternatives around with the same amazing spacious sound, great overall resolution, textured and deep bass?
I'm ready to spend around $2000 on a new or used one.

Dec 31, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #2 of 27
Hmmm... Arya v3. Alive and spacious. Nice bass but not intense/pressurized. I had the 2C and the Arya has more detail. Needs EQ but not as much as 2C. That pressure is from the pads being glued down/coupled. Also I think Oratory bass settings under 100 Hz are rubbish. But a fan of the 2C may not agree.

A used LCD-4 if it's solid spanks both the Arya, LCD 2* and *3. Have some juice on hand... Like min 2 wpc @ 50 ohms. 4 wpc for sure enough.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 27
Hmmm... Arya v3. Alive and spacious. Nice bass but not intense/pressurized. I had the 2C and the Arya has more detail. Needs EQ but not as much as 2C. That pressure is from the pads being glued down/coupled. Also I think Oratory bass settings under 100 Hz are rubbish. But a fan of the 2C may not agree.

A used LCD-4 if it's solid spanks both the Arya, 2* and *3. Have some juice on hand...
Oh, glued pads... Does each LCD have the same issue?

Jan 2, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 27
I own a pair of the Audeze LCD 2.2 (Fazors), and the Arya (Classics). You might want to try the HE6SEv2 if you have something that can drive them to perform at their best. The bass I pull from these are other worldly, and they have impact as well.
According to most reviews, HE6SEv2 headphones are very bright, aren't they?

Jan 2, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #6 of 27
Oh, glued pads... Does each LCD have the same issue?
They have made many through the years, can't say for all of them, but mine did.

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 27
According to most reviews, HE6SEv2 headphones are very bright, aren't they?
This depends on what you choose to drive them with. On my Audio GD Master 19 they seemed bright. On my Vintage Receiver using a speaker tap box, brightness is never a characteristic you'd use to describe what you are experiencing.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 27
You can get a used LCD-4 for around $2000....a top of the line headphone for sure.

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 27
The depends on what you choose to drive them with. On my Audio GD Master 19 they seemed bright. On my Vintage Receiver using a speaker tap box, brightness is never a characteristic you'd use to describe what you are experiencing.
I have Flux fa-12 which is probably insufficient.

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 27
This depends on what you choose to drive them with. On my Audio GD Master 19 they seemed bright. On my Vintage Receiver using a speaker tap box, brightness is never a characteristic you'd use to describe what you are experiencing.
HFM cans above the level of the 400 on average are somewhat bright. But compared to most German cans (not Senn) they are not. Certainly the HE-500 and HEX v2 are not. HEKse yeah that's bright. But they are not shrill or hard.

An amp that cannot drive HFM fully will deaden the bass impact and tend to make them brighter.

The entire HE-6 line (and Susvara) needs at least 2 wpc @ 50 ohms. 4 wpc would be safe. Mombo 1980 era 100 wpc recievers/amps not required for full flowering of the sound.

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 27
I have to try in a store, thx
Some high end shops sell used cans. They also back what they sell, but it costs more

Also there is the open box situation. In the case of the Susvara, nobody has used them. It's just a way for a vendor to move product. List price is just under $6k. Open box is $3.7-3.9k. For lower priced cans open box exists but it's not very common.

Jan 10, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #15 of 27
Amp or DAC doesn't change the frequency response of the headphone as there's a peak from 3k to 5k one these. Luckily it responds great to EQ so you can tame it down.
Screenshot 2022-01-10 182638.jpg
Still I think Arya V3 (Stealth Edition) is the better fit. It has some peaks in the treble area but it's well balanced out in higher frequencies so It won't sound as bright or sibilant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back