Speaker amping/preamping question - can I use my headphone amp that doubles as a preamp?
Jun 7, 2016 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Soundsgoodtome

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm new into the speaker world and am currently going to need a preamp for an amp that runs full on. I'm hoping some headphone amp enthusiasts who know speaker amps can chime in here. First, it's weird to see requirement voltages be 1.5v for a speaker amp to output 150w into an 8ohm load (1.5V from the preamp would be max volume for amp - is this the correct thinking?)... but then again I'm new to the speaker world. My understanding is these super low voltage requirements are more for units that output low voltage - preamps that output in 1.5v realm.

I'm looking at some of the requirements and was wondering if it's possible to use my Audio GD SA31SE as a preamp? DAC outputs at 2.7V but my AGD SA31SE does 4V line out (when fed 2.5V). Since the SA31SE goes to 99 on the volume/preamp and outputs 4V at max, now correct me if I'm wrong here, with this curve below and the 4V output - would I be able to use 0-30 on the volume to get from 0-1.5v the speaker power amp needs?

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't think anyone can guess what the volume control range would be for a different input voltages. You'd probably need to contact AudioGD to find that out.

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 3
I don't think anyone can guess what the volume control range would be for a different input voltages. You'd probably need to contact AudioGD to find that out.

Thanks for the input! I'm powering some hungry KEF from the late 70s/early 80s. I'll be getting an amp that does 150wpc (rms) into 8ohms but worried about the output of my dac at 2.7V... which I'll be needing a preamp of course, that's where my Audio-GD comes in. I've gotten word directly from Kingwa himself that I should be able to use up 0-30 (up to 50) before full power is sent to the amplifier as you're correct it's non-linear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back