"Special" headphones ... desirable beyond their pure technical performance?
Jan 11, 2024 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Thomasr

500+ Head-Fier
Which headphones in your opinion have a "secret sauce" that makes them just inherently enjoyable? What is it you hear that you don't seem to get with anything else? Is there a whole audio chain that makes this magic happen, or do these headphones deliver the goods regardless of source/amp?

I'll start by talking about the SASH Tres 45ohm. There's just something about these headphones that I can't quite put my finger on, but they're simply enjoyable to listen to. It's as if there's a velvety growl underlying things that adds note weight and a sense of roundness - I guess it probably has to do with 2nd-order harmonics or something but I'll leave that analysis to smarter minds than mine.

My SMSL DO200mk2 has a "sound colour" option that I usually leave turned off (or on one of the lowest settings) but the Tres seems particularly adept at making this digital trickery audible. Using the Crystal or Rich settings adds an addictive resonance to songs like Natalie Merchant's Carnival or The Souljazz Orchestra's Kapital. It's sort of like how the sound of a V8 engine revving through its sweet spot never gets old.

Is this all strictly "accurate"? Hell no. Does every lick of distorted blues guitar go straight to the pleasure centers like a hit of THC? Hell yes.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 11
Which headphones in your opinion have a "secret sauce" that makes them just inherently enjoyable? What is it you hear that you don't seem to get with anything else? Is there a whole audio chain that makes this magic happen, or do these headphones deliver the goods regardless of source/amp?

I'll start by talking about the SASH Tres 45ohm. There's just something about these headphones that I can't quite put my finger on, but they're simply enjoyable to listen to. It's as if there's a velvety growl underlying things that adds note weight and a sense of roundness - I guess it probably has to do with 2nd-order harmonics or something but I'll leave that analysis to smarter minds than mine.

My SMSL DO200mk2 has a "sound colour" option that I usually leave turned off (or on one of the lowest settings) but the Tres seems particularly adept at making this digital trickery audible. Using the Crystal or Rich settings adds an addictive resonance to songs like Natalie Merchant's Carnival or The Souljazz Orchestra's Kapital. It's sort of like how the sound of a V8 engine revving through its sweet spot never gets old.

Is this all strictly "accurate"? Hell no. Does every lick of distorted blues guitar go straight to the pleasure centers like a hit of THC? Hell yes.
For me it is the Focal Clear OG's. They are called W-shaped for a reason. To me they work in every genre at any volume, regardless of my mood. AND they sound great with all of my amps.

They can do no wrong for me. I have a collection, because I crave diversity, but no other headphone feels great every single time I put them on like these.

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 11
Sennheiser HD800's. So far, I haven't heard a soundstage like that, to me it's something quite special. They lack in other terms, IMO, but the soundstage is spectacular 👍

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 11
Sennheiser HD800 with no mods. Clarity and soundstage. The HD800S muffled it a bit.

Stax 007a. Hearing an electrostat with this much bass is an experience.

Koss 95X running off of a different amp then the one they come with punch waaaay above their weight. This a good stopping point for estats if you don't want to go all the way to the X9000/HE1 with your 401k(lol).

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 11
Cheap Grado's. So much fun for so little money.

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 11
ZMF (especially the Eikon) with Beyerdynamic A20- I am relatively new to the head-fi game, but that just has a secret sauce which is addictive as all hell... I love my LCD-XCs out of the Violectric V202, but the Eikon-A20 just has that pure enjoyment factor that I come back to again and again. In a world of ever increasing prices, it is a reasonably priced end to the search (though of course, I have not ended said search!).

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 11
As another member said, Stax. But for me specifically the normal bias Stax. The normal bias Stax have such a musical tonality that the pro bias have. They might not be as resolving or neutral, but they're just enjoyable to listen to

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 11
For me, I'd have to go with the Gjallarhorn V1. There's something so inviting about the tonality and timbre. Best sub bass I've heard in any headphone. Perfect amount with excellent quality. The layering is there, equal parts attack and decay.
Slightly dark throughout the presence region, yet I don't feel that the details suffer. I hear everything that the song has to offer without the micros being shoved inside my ears. Still some air between the instruments as well.
It's rich and organic, yet not at all thick, warm, and gooey. It's smooth but not glossed over. Transient response is incredible, but it's not a speed racer. Awesome dynamics without slapping you in the face and shaking your brain. I can kick back in my roost and groove, or get up and move to the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back