Spectrum cable vs ATT (non-fiber) vs Fiber services
Mar 1, 2023 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

C1gar1

New Head-Fier
Hello,
Interested in knowing what is best to use for the main source of my internet connection. Ethernet 6a cable would be used for direct connection to equipment.

What speeds would be beneficial, if at all?
Is there really a big difference regarding Mbps/Gbps when it comes to a more simple/smaller audiophile rig setup.
Any advantage of the wifi signal to wireless equipment?

Thank you for the advice and input!!

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 7
Neither. Latency is far more important than raw bandwidth especially for streaming. Fiber Optic is one of the best options out there. Home networking is very critical too. If you want absolute no interruptions, Ethernet through network switches is the way to go

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 7
Neither. Latency is far more important than raw bandwidth especially for streaming. Fiber Optic is one of the best options out there. Home networking is very critical too. If you want absolute no interruptions, Ethernet through network switches is the way to go
Thanks for the info. Fiber is not yet available from ATT in my area...and the least speed of others available. Although there is a new player in town called 3Wire that has run it beachside here. But I hate to switch from ATT (longtime customer and has its benefits). Latency...interested in that aspect on how to mitigate that! And using a simple network switch?

I am just starting out in this rabbitt hole with putting something together. Small footprint is needed due to accommodate the space, doesn't need to blow walls out. And wanting clean signal, hi-res as much as possible. So, starting with a dedicated 12/2 Romex from 20 amp breaker. (I was flooded in Hurricane Ian and took advantage of wiring this while walls were torn out) Installed a PS Audio PowerPort Classic outlet....and that's as far as I've gotten. Still moving back in and getting things back in place to take next steps.

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 7
If you're streaming from a local NAS, internet speeds don't matter at all since you get gigabit speed from just using wired network and the lowest latency possible. To ensure that the latency is kept at minimum even with multiple devices are using the bandwidth, just make sure to get a router with fast SoC and plenty of RAM (it doesn't have to be a gaming router). One last thing, if you need the cleanest streaming to your DAC, you must isolate the router from your streamer completely through optical-ethernet interface.

fig%201_1.png

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 7
If you're streaming from a local NAS, internet speeds don't matter at all since you get gigabit speed from just using wired network and the lowest latency possible. To ensure that the latency is kept at minimum even with multiple devices are using the bandwidth, just make sure to get a router with fast SoC and plenty of RAM (it doesn't have to be a gaming router). One last thing, if you need the cleanest streaming to your DAC, you must isolate the router from your streamer completely through optical-ethernet interface.

fig%201_1.png
Wow. OK. I have a lot to learn and set up! Basically I have AT&T's router hooked to their outlet with their "Data Cable" wire. Not a Cat series. From there I have Cat 5e cable running to TV setup. I think all I have is a 100mbps plan available here in area. Yay.
So...what do you recommend for a simple system set up like how you have advised? Equipment and cable types. I'm in a small cottage (550 sq ft) with plans to have a small footprint rig. Preliminary plan: Amp, phono preamp and turntable, passive speakers (vs the wireless powered trend), sound bar (possible I will go for a Naim Muso 2 unit for a sound bar/hi-res wireless combo option.)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 7
Not much people use these types streaming network setup since it's a bit challenging to setup and people opt for wireless streaming rather than hard-wired for convenience. The only reason I recommended this option is to avoid WiFi drop-outs that can occasionally ruin your streaming experience, and using a Fiber optic connection galvanically isolates your streamer from the router in every way.

If you still want to continue with this setup, you would need these as follows;

1.2x Sonore OpticalModules deluxe (it comes with the SFP Fiber Transceiver already).
2. Enterprise/commercial grade network switch
3. 2x iFi iPowerX (5v model) if you don't want to pay for the Sonore 7v linear power supply (it's too much $$$ IMO)
4. Cat 6 Ethernet cables
5. Sonore branded systemOptique Fiber Optic Cable or Tripp-Lite Duplex Multimode OM-1 62.5/125 Fiber Patch Cable (LC/LC termination)

Connections:

1.Connect your music server/NUC/Roon Core to your router with an Ethernet cable.
2.Connect the Ethernet cable from the Router to the switch.
3.Connect the Ethernet cable from the Ethernet switch to the Sonore OpticalModule.
4.Connect the optical-fiber patch cable from the upstream Sonore OpticalModule to the downstream OpticalModules deluxe that will connect to the streamer or network bridge (length/run will depend on your setup and application).
5.Connect Ethernet cable from the downstream FMC to the streamer of your choosing
6.Connect your DAC of your choosing from the streamer using USB, Optical, AES or Coax

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Not much people use these types streaming network setup since it's a bit challenging to setup and people opt for wireless streaming rather than hard-wired for convenience. The only reason I recommended this option is to avoid WiFi drop-outs that can occasionally ruin your streaming experience, and using a Fiber optic connection galvanically isolates your streamer from the router in every way.

If you still want to continue with this setup, you would need these as follows;

1.2x Sonore OpticalModules deluxe (it comes with the SFP Fiber Transceiver already).
2. Enterprise/commercial grade network switch
3. 2x iFi iPowerX (5v model) if you don't want to pay for the Sonore 7v linear power supply (it's too much $$$ IMO)
4. Cat 6 Ethernet cables
5. Sonore branded systemOptique Fiber Optic Cable or Tripp-Lite Duplex Multimode OM-1 62.5/125 Fiber Patch Cable (LC/LC termination)

Connections:

1.Connect your music server/NUC/Roon Core to your router with an Ethernet cable.
2.Connect the Ethernet cable from the Router to the switch.
3.Connect the Ethernet cable from the Ethernet switch to the Sonore OpticalModule.
4.Connect the optical-fiber patch cable from the upstream Sonore OpticalModule to the downstream OpticalModules deluxe that will connect to the streamer or network bridge (length/run will depend on your setup and application).
5.Connect Ethernet cable from the downstream FMC to the streamer of your choosing
6.Connect your DAC of your choosing from the streamer using USB, Optical, AES or Coax
Thank you! I appreciate your advice and info. Being an old-guy newbie, I definitely can use it. This I'm sure will make a big difference with this Florida dirty power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back