SPL Phonitor 2...for Stax SR-009?
Aug 11, 2015 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ToroFiestaSol

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
first of all excuse me if my english isn't perfect, it's not my mother language.

I will buy my first high end headphones, the AKG K812, for monitoring and studio use, and for some music listening too (why not? :D), the best headphones that I had in my entire life are the Sennheiser HD429, so I'm pretty sure that the AKG will impress me like no other thing in the world. Valuebasket is selling the K812 at 914€ with free shipping and 3 years warranty, so I think it's a good deal.

Right now I have an Audient ID22 in the studio, which is a marvelous piece of equipment and drives perflectly my modest Sennheiser cans.

Okay, that's something I got very clear, but...

I don't know if the Audient will drive properly the K812, and searching over the internet I found that the SPL Phonitor 2 is the best match for the K812, so probably I will buy the Phonitor 2 too when my budget allows me (2 or 3 months more or less).

BUT, also found that the Phonitor 2 is for ALL types of headphones, electrostatics included, here is the proof, scroll down to page 11, in the special features, the 3rd sentence:

http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/anleitungen/english/Phonitor2_BA_E.pdf

"• For all types of headphones – dynamic, balanced, electrostatic"

I don't see the 5 pin connector on the Phonitor, so I suppose that one must buy something like a Woo Wee to drive an electrostatic headphone.

I ask for the Stax SR-009 because it's a dream for me, and always figured that it was out of my reach, but in PriceJapan is 2500€, and the Woo Wee 500€ (far away from 12k with the full Stax SR-009 price and a BHSE).
And the last thing, it's that the Stax maybe will have a massive resale value in 15-20 years, due to the units produced and for what it represents in the audiophile community.

So my main question is: Can the Phonitor 2 and a Woo Wee be a good match for the Stax SR-009?
Because if it is, it's reasonable to think in the Stax as a future buy for me in a near future.

Thanks for your attention!

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 5
I'd go ask in the SR-009 threads for thoughts on this pairing... I haven't heard of it being used before. Good luck, sorry I can't be of more help!

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 5
  I'd go ask in the SR-009 threads for thoughts on this pairing... I haven't heard of it being used before. Good luck, sorry I can't be of more help!

Thanks for your answer!
I tried to post this on the full size amps forum, but I was unable to do it as a newbie in the forum, I was redirected to this section to post this thread :frowning2:

I'll try to post this on an existing Stax thread, is not my cup of tea resurrect threads but I haven't got another option :frowning2:

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 5
Well, I spended one week with the K812 and...damn, they're unbelievable, can't believe that they will sound better after the burning time...jaw dropping resolution.
My mom loves them more than me :frowning2: hahahaha

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah, I don't understand the discontent for them. They're musical and resolving, a very unique can from AKG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back