SR-009's extruding band
Mar 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

David1961

Headphoneus Supremus
Athough Birgir advised me that the extruding band on the SR-009's is there to hold the Earspeakers over the ears at the right amount of pressure, I still think it spoils the SR-009's looks. Because I feel this extruding band sticks out like a sore thumb, I decided to enquire about having an headband made using spring loaded steel then surrounded in black leather. I found a place about 35 miles from where I live that deals in spring steel only and can do to any shape and size. After I did a drawing of a band to my liking, I mailed it to this place and was pleased when they phoned me saying they could make it the way I wanted. This headband will be adjustable and as I said will be surrounded in black leather very similar to the leather on the earcups. It'll probably be about May before I'll be able to have it done because the Audio equipment I've paid for has almost emptied my bank account. [ I've sent Justin the remaining payment for the BHSE so all there's left now is the shipping + import VAT ]  If I'm able to get this headband to work how the stax band does, I'll be very happy with how my SR-009's will look.

Dave.

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 8
Keep us posted. I am plnning on ordering the SR-009 soon.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 8
When this headband is made, it'll be fixed to the earspeakers yokes via one nut & bolt on either side. As I say it'll probably be May time. When everything is done I'll post some pictures of it along with the BHSE and K-01.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 8
If you don't mind me asking, what sort of price quote did you get? I too felt that the leather piece looks cheap.

Keep in mind the fit of a headphone is significant to the sound. This is part (although not entirely) the reason most people prefer the sound of the omega II mk1 over the over the mk2 version. Changing that piece may alter the sound a lot more than you'd probably believe. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, what sort of price quote did you get? I too felt that the leather piece looks cheap.

Keep in mind the fit of a headphone is significant to the sound. This is part (although not entirely) the reason most people prefer the sound of the omega II mk1 over the over the mk2 version. Changing that piece may alter the sound a lot more than you'd probably believe. 

Hi Chefguru,
The price quote they gave me was £150 which isn't cheap, but as I've said looks are very important to me and I think this headband should make my SR-009's look great. Regarding the Stax headband, I don't mind the leather piece it's that extruding band. About the fitting of the headphones, Birgir told me the headband is there to make the Earspeakers fit the right way so when I'm ready to have this headband made, I'll visit the place with my SR-009's and get them to try and make this new headband work the same as the Stax headband. I know I'm taking a rick but if it doesn't work, the Stax headband can easily be put back on, I'll just make ear warmers out of that headband
darthsmile.gif

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 8
Im so amazed I found this thread because I too am perplexed at the 009 headband. Never really wanted to mention it in case I offended anyone but aesthetically the gear must look pleasing to me and I continually  have visions of one of my childhood TV shows when I see these phones

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 8
The place that can make this headband for me which as I've said deal in spring steel only, told me at the moment they're very busy but they said when they're not they'll contact me. If this headband can be made to work, and is done, I'll post some pictures of it obviously on my SR-009's and headfiers can decide whether it looks better or worse than the Stax band. I think it'll look a lot better which is why I'm hoping to have it made, plus it's from a drawing I've done so others may not like it.

Sorry Birgir, I did take note on your advice, but to me that extruding band is somewhat of a spoiler. I hope you're not offended about me trying or hoping to have this headband made.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 8
I went through to the spring steel place with some drawings of the band I was hoping they could do for my SR-009's, when the main man saw the drawings he said it could be done and at the time he seemed keen on doing it. That was six weeks ago and I've been in touch and that keenness seems to have deteriorated so I've decided not to bother. I guess it's the best thing to do because Birgir advised me the SR-009 headband was designed that way for a reason, I just hope that Stax will do a different headband on the SR011, assuming  that's what they'll be calling their next flagship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back