SR009 with WEE?
Dec 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Bones13

Headphoneus Supremus
Going to move to a new/smaller house in a couple of months, and my idea of a big, rectangular speaker ideal room is now out.  I plan now to make for a better headphone system.  I currently have a nice 25 watt EL34 PP amp, and was planning on building a KT88 SE amp (5 or 10 watts if ultralinear), and wondered if anyone has given a listen to the 009 with the WEE using a nice tubed amp of either PP or SE variety?

I really like the function of the WEE that switches from the headphones back to the speakers for output, as I don't think there any electrostatic amps which mute the speakers when you plug in the headphones.

I will have nice speakers in the new study, but my big Zu Audio Essence speakers may end up being too big. Speakers, and final amp will be pending trying some stuff out in the space.

I was hoping that someone had tried the WEE route with a quality speaker amplifier, and could help me know if this a viable route.

I currently use a set of HD650s from a Bottlehead Crack amp at my home study, as I listen to the speakers almost all of the time.  I pretty much listen to the headphones when others are sleeping if I get up early.

And then I would be open to sticking with a dynamic system - I have HD800s balanced with EC ZDT at the work office, but am finding that combo a bit laid back, and am thinking of going SS there.

Hmm, ZDT+WEE for the house office, it would run the speakers, but probably pretty tame.

Open to suggestions, this new development has thrown a lot of my planning to the winds.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 2
I would like to know this also.  I recently built some of the Hypex NC400 amps and purchased a BAT VK-52SE tube pre-amp.  This combo sounds FANTASTIC on my speakers.  If it could drive the SR-009 or SR-007 properly through a WEE, I think I might want to try some stats in the future.  

If no one has tried this, I think you should take the plunge and give it a shot.  You don't have much to lose as the WEE's generally have good resale on the classifieds section and go quickly, and you already have the amp. 

I am still recovering from the above purchases, or I would be willing to give it a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back