SRH1540, PM-3, ATH-MSR7B, K550/553, or K371?
Aug 5, 2020 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pinkfloyd4ever

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all. Looking for a new (to me) set of closed cans approximately in the $150-250 range (I could MAYBE stretch to $300 if there’s one that’s much better than the other options at $150-250). I’m very open to used cans, and really prefer the increased bang for the buck of buying gently used audio gear.

Right now I have the Beyer DT770 Pro 80, and they’re great but I’m just looking to try something new, and hopefully a little better. I tried the Meze 99 Noir, and unfortunately I don’t think they’re for me. They’re just a bit too bass heavy for my taste. I’m not a bass head at all, and when I listen to tracks with a healthy dose of bass, the overstated bass of the Noirs quickly make my ears hurt and I have to stop listening or switch back to the DT770. Yes, I unfortunately get listening fatigue from moderately strong levels of bass in addition to overly sharp treble.

What I like about my current cans:

I love how comfortable the DT770 is. I once had the ATH-M50X and I couldn’t stand to wear them for more than like 15 minutes due to the strong clamping force on my earlobes. So in other words, I’m looking for a very comfortable pair of over-ears.

Another thing I love about the DT770 is how I can listen for hours without fatigue. No matter the genre, I never find my ears hurting or wanting to turn it down because the DT770 is really without any offensive tonal characteristics. I also actually like that their isolation is fairly low for a closed can, as it allows me to hear when others are trying to talk to me.

Now to the bad of the Beyers (in my mind): The DT770/80 is kind of recessed in the midrange and I’d like something that has a more present midrange. I’d like a little more detail too. Something that’s good with vocals, especially female vocals. But really I’m looking for a great all-arounder. Something non-fatiguing that also really makes you want to just keep playing the next song. A little better soundstage would be nice if possible too, but I know that may hard to come by in a closed back at this price point. Oh, these will be used strictly for a wide variety of music. Lots of rock of all flavors from classic to metal to grunge to indie, electro-pop, ambient, electronic, female vocals. Some rap, hip hop, and EDM occasionally some classical or old-school country. No gaming, TV, or movies.

So after some research I’m considering these headphones:

Shure SRH1540 (if I can find a used pair for close to $250, might be difficult)

Oppo PM-3 (again, with the same caveat as above). Slightly concerned about comfort, as I’ve read they’re small for an over-ear, almost closer to a large on-ear depending on your ears. My ears aren’t all that big though.

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B

One of the AKG K550 / K553 series (but which one? There are so many different iterations)

EDIT: The K371 is also on my radar now too.

Any others I should consider?

Who’s heard more than 1 of the above cans as well as the DT770 Pro/80 and can give me some comparisons and/or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 8
If you were looking for an open back I'd say get a used pair of ATH-R70X (most comfortable headphones I've ever owned) or AKG Q701/K701/702.

Don't know what to recommend so far as closed back.

Aug 5, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Aug 6, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Bump with a new title because I'm really not getting any helpful responses to my root question (i.e. How do the cans in bold compare with each other and with the DT770?)

(no offense to those who have replied, I do appreciate your thoughts)

The 1770 is the direct upgrade to the 770. Should be everything you love about the 770 but better. Here is a listing that just posted, if you want to jump on it before someone else buys them, he's asking just under your price limit:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-dt1770-pro-299.939273/
Yeah I know of the DT1770, but I'm wanting something a little different this time. Something with a better midrange and more detail.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Bump with a new title because I'm really not getting any helpful responses to my root question (i.e. How do the cans in bold compare with each other and with the DT770?)
(no offense to those who have replied, I do appreciate your thoughts)
Yeah I know of the DT1770, but I'm wanting something a little different this time. Something with a better midrange and more detail.
The AKG K550/K553 offer good sound quality, but the sound is somewhat boring.

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 8
I think you should give the Msr7b a shot. It has the additional sparkle and detail you're looking for, excellent instrument separation, and female vocals sound superb. The emphasis is on the upper mids and the bass is pretty neutral, but it comes alive when the track calls for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back