SRH840 vs. V-MODA M100
Dec 25, 2012 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Chris9181

New Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade from my current ATH-A900's and 280Pros. I find the A900's bass to be insuffient, especially its sub-bass, and the 280's to be a bit too sterile and I don't love their high-end. I will be mostly using it for home music listening and for music production tasks in electronic music - hip-hop, downtempo, dance: all bass heavy genres. I have read almost universally positive things about both of these headphones, and either of them fit into my budget. How would these compare to each other or to the headphones I currently own?

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 12
The Shure SRH-840's would not be the "most" ideal for Electronic music/ hip hop...as the bass isnt the deepest... Its there, but its more controlled and more or less backs up the incredible highs/ mids.... So I guess if between the 2, get the V-Moda M100''s.

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 12
Well my favorite thing about the 280Pros is how deep and accurate the bass is, which allows me to mix and produce at hours when I cannot run my speakers and subwoofer. Are the SRH-840's less impressive on the bass end? I know the M100's are marketed as more of a listening headphone than a monitoring headphone, so my only concern with them is they will be a less accurate/more hyped presentation.

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 12
I own both of these. The 840's have a more accurate bass, while the M-100's are more hyped. The 840's are more balanced and accurate across the spectrum. I use the 840's for monitoring my mixes.The M-100's are great for listening to the genres of music you mentioned, which I also listen to.

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 12
Awesome, thanks for the input! I am listening to some music with heavy 808 bass right now on my 280's and it blows my A900's out of the water. Have you noticed the 840's lacking in the sub-bass region at all? That's my only concern, then I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the input! I am listening to some music with heavy 808 bass right now on my 280's and it blows my A900's out of the water. Have you noticed the 840's lacking in the sub-bass region at all? That's my only concern, then I'm ready to pull the trigger.

I wouldn't say the 840's are lacking in sub-bass, but it's more pronounced in the M-100s. If it's in the recording you'll hear it with the Shure's.Personally if it was for purely listening to dance music, I would use my M-100s. Other genres are more enjoyable with the Shures. If you're producing music I'd go for the 840's. The M-100's are just too hyped in the bass and a bit shy in the mids for this purpose.

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 12
Oh, if you're looking for the same sound you get from say a car subwoofer, then I can't recommend any hp that I know of. My Monster Beats Pros come close, but don't produce that lowend physical sensation.

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 12
Have you listened to 280Pro's? I am extremely happy with that type of bass - accurate and deep. Some say lacking in mid-bass, but it sounds great to me. If so, it sounds like the 840's are close to that type of bass.

From what you are saying it looks like the 840's are probably a better fit. Maybe I will get the M100's at a later time if I want a headphone primarily for listening to electronic music. I am really happy with the A900's for everything acoustic based, it sounds fantastic on jazz, but can't cut it in the deep bass at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back