SRH940...simple mod that fixes the bass and treble "problems"!
Feb 21, 2012 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Caveat: I like the stock 940 but understand why many have issues with the FR ( I have same issues after about an hour).  If you are one of those, here's a simple 5 minute mod that will transform your 940. I didn't post pics because it's easy to explain and I don't want to touch my 940 again.

Also, if this mod has already been posted somewhere, please delete this thread.

Material required: None
Tools required: Tweezers

1) Remove pads and the three screws that hold in each driver assembly. Put screws in a safe place.

2) Look at the center of the back of the driver. There is a small hole. You will see foam that fills that hole. Using tweezers (and taking your time) gently pull some of the foam out of the hole until you have enough to get a solid "grip" with the tweezers. You have to be painstakingly careful and go slowly to avoid tearing the foam (which you want to keep intact in case you want to reverse the mod). When you have enough foam to grab onto safely, slowly pull out the piece of foam. Repeat for other driver.

3) Reassemble the headphones, put the pads back on. Plug them into your amp and fire up some MUSIC!

4) Listen to how the bass is now present, how the treble has been tamed and how the midrange now sounds like perhaps the most amazing midrange you've ever heard. There is a warmth to the sound which still retains the clarity that the 940 possesses. Because the bass comes in and the treble is subdued, the overall sound is balanced and more upfront.

The bass is not as clear and precise as it could be (that may be recording dependent) but it was never that articulate in the unmodded version (I think the pads blur some of the bottom end).

On your mark, get set, GO....

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 14
Do you have a preference between stock and modded?  Judging from what you are hearing is it changing the freq response curve or maybe adding volume to the low end?  My 940 is still on the way, but looking forward to giving this a try. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Heya,

As much as I like the SRH940, I find the A900X to basically do it's job without the flaws.

Very best,

My thoughts exactly!
The A900X was what I expected when compared to the 940s... but ... those freaking pads!!! LOL
Then I looked into upgrading them and it was like $70 for the 1000x series I believe and I got discouraged.

I think I'm going to try the AKGs K550... I've never had an AKG headphone before but hopefully they'll be similar in sound signature to the A900x but more comfortable... **wishful thinking**???

Still, I like the 940s...

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
My thoughts exactly!
The A900X was what I expected when compared to the 940s... but ... those freaking pads!!! LOL
Then I looked into upgrading them and it was like $70 for the 1000x series I believe and I got discouraged.

I think I'm going to try the AKGs K550... I've never had an AKG headphone before but hopefully they'll be similar in sound signature to the A900x but more comfortable... **wishful thinking**???

Still, I like the 940s...

Heya,

I'm going to try a Denon pads transplant or a Beyer transplant. The Pads on the A900X are a tad stiff. But that will change with some wear time. But I'm a velour whore, so I will find a way to try it with something, likely from Beyer (probably some DT990 pads). And again will try Denon pads just to see what that's like. Otherwise, phenomenal headphone. Very much like the SRH940 but with all the low end you could want. Same great sound stage, wonderful mids, airy treble, forward but not sibilant. Fantastic. Plus they're sexy sleek aluminum in black. If only the cord was detachable.

The K550 is definitely worth a shot. I'm getting one soon myself. It's just so darned attractive, velour pads, and bassier than a typical AKG, so right up my ally and I'm all about the closed headphones. It won't sound like the AudioTechnica. AKG has a sound to their own.

Very best,

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 14
Picked up some SRH 940s a few weeks back, and did like them. But after comparing them to my workmates Sennheiser HD 25's I wasn't enjoying them as much. Just did this mod on them, and found it worked great at clearing up the mids and bringing that treble down a bit. Not so impressed by the HD25's now.

Thanks heaps for this mod.

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 14
I just don't like messing with my phones!!! LOL!!! (even if it's reversible! :wink:)
Also, I like them as they are, but if I find another set that complements it, I'll be good.

I didn't post pics because it's easy to explain and I don't want to touch my 940 again.

Come on!!! We want pics! :p

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Do you have a preference between stock and modded?  Judging from what you are hearing is it changing the freq response curve or maybe adding volume to the low end?  My 940 is still on the way, but looking forward to giving this a try. Thanks.

It is changing the FR overall, as there is a bit more presence to the mid and upper bass and the treble is not as bright. Therefore, the midrange is less affected by the brightness and overly tight bass, and it benefits from it.

As far as preference goes, I like both. Modded 940 is more balanced but less fast and not very nimble in the bass. But there is bass. Original 940 is crisp and clear and sparkly. Both have their merits.

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 14
I just got my SRH-940 today, after 8 hours of burn-in it very much sounds like my previously owned HD800, also like my ER4S in some ways.   I like it, bass is nimble and clear. Bass impact is very much present coming out of my Concerto, and HM-801.   I think the mid bass hole some are taking about is overstated.   I don't want my headphones sounding all the same so I might keep it unmodded for a while.  I can happily switch between this and my HE500.  

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #12 of 14
I'am thinking about it :) Guess I'll give it a shot when I get some free time.

May 9, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 14
  Resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone else had given this mod a try. 

I just tried it now and I think I like it. It added some bass and made the 940s more enjoyable and less fatiguing as it smoothens the rough edges of treble in the original 940s. I get tired easily of treble, so this mod definitely helps.

I tried the cotton ball mod before, and it's amazing comfort-wise because it made the cups deeper so the ears don't touch the inside. However, it also made the soundstage (that's what I think it is anyway) sound weird and too dispersed. It also reduced the otherwise perfect clarity.
This mod does make it a little muddy, but it's so slight it's negligible; it's not as much as the cotton ball mod did, anyway.

Good job and thanks for sharing, OP!

Now if anyone can give me the exact sound of HD598 in a closed-back full-sized can, it'd be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back