SRM-313 for a tube system, can I mod it?
Aug 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

astrostar59

Banned
Member of the Trade: Aries Cerat Espana, Auriculares High-End
AKA Headstage, headphoneweekend
Hi all

I run a decent all tube system by Audionote, including a tube DAC and M3 Tube pre amp.

My main amps are also Audionote tube monoblocks (300b) running into horn hybrids. I also
have a SS sub in the system. All silver interconnects.

So, as you can see I love the valve sound, but also like detail (horns) and good bass / fast dynamics.
I have the Lambda Nova Signatures and a good condition SRM 313 fed from the Tubed ore amp.

Is there any mods / upgrades I can do to the SRM 313 amp. I have built a few kits from Audionote, so am ok about
fiddly soldering and such. Can I upgrade the caps and resistors, or other bits as well? If anyone has done
this know how it can be done, can you post here please. I would think Kevin Gilmore may have some info
that could help me?

Many thanks in advance guys.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 3
You would likely get more attention if you posted in the high-end forum where most of the Stax people hang out. 

There's not much more you can do to the SRM-313 that would be practical or worthwhile.  It is a fine Stax amp at its price point.  You will likely have to invest much more to top it.  The Stax tube amps may not be that much of an upgrade for you.  Check out some of the alternative high-end tube amps mentioned in the high-end forum.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 3
If the stock caps are junk/low cost? you could install Panasonic FM caps(or better), and there would be a sonic difference. Resistors, not so much.

Quote:
Hi all

I run a decent all tube system by Audionote, including a tube DAC and M3 Tube pre amp.

My main amps are also Audionote tube monoblocks (300b) running into horn hybrids. I also
have a SS sub in the system. All silver interconnects.

So, as you can see I love the valve sound, but also like detail (horns) and good bass / fast dynamics.
I have the Lambda Nova Signatures and a good condition SRM 313 fed from the Tubed ore amp.

Is there any mods / upgrades I can do to the SRM 313 amp. I have built a few kits from Audionote, so am ok about
fiddly soldering and such. Can I upgrade the caps and resistors, or other bits as well? If anyone has done
this know how it can be done, can you post here please. I would think Kevin Gilmore may have some info
that could help me?

Many thanks in advance guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back