SS amp for Beyer DT770 and DT880 600 ohm phones?
Jul 16, 2010 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BmWr75

500+ Head-Fier
Am currently running these high impedance phones off a Ming Da tube amp.  Would like to try a solid state amp just to contrast and compare the sound signatures.  Would a Matrix M-stage be a good match?  Any other SS amp recommendations.  Budget is <$500.  

Skylab.......you out there????

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Am currently running these high impedance phones off a Ming Da tube amp.  Would like to try a solid state amp just to contrast and compare the sound signatures.  Would a Matrix M-stage be a good match?  Any other SS amp recommendations.  Budget is <$500.  

I'm afraid that SS amps under $500 really isn't my strong suit.  I don't own any, and haven't reviewed many in that price range in a long while.  The Meier Concerto is great with the 600 ohm Beyers, but it's $675 (although well worth stepping up for, if you can).

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 9
let's see...  i've really had my eye on the dynalo amp that sheer audio makes.
it's an affordable amp from taiwan (i believe) that reportedly punches way above its weight class.

it's called the sheer audio ha-006+

they also make a "++" model. 

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:

The Matrix M stage drives my T1 with no problem and sound very detailed expansive soundstage with great bass and power. For the money or maybe even double you wont get better.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 9
I can say my MisterX M3 amp drives my DT880 600ohm very well. I need the volume on about 10 o clock, compared to my MAD Ear+ HD on 12:30. Sound wise, I prefer the cleaner, more detailed sound of the M3 compared to my MAD Ear+ HD. Bass is smoother and tighter, but also less prominent on the M3, which I prefer. I only paid ~$200us for it. Absolute bargain
dt880smile.png

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I'm afraid that SS amps under $500 really isn't my strong suit.  I don't own any, and haven't reviewed many in that price range in a long while.  The Meier Concerto is great with the 600 ohm Beyers, but it's $675 (although well worth stepping up for, if you can).

Agreed. I would really look into a $500 tube amp instead.

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 9
Ok I can chime in and give some recommendations here. I have the 600Ohm DT880 and 600Ohm DT990. From my experience these two amps below are my top recommendations.

For the Solid State amp, you could go with the Audio-GD Roc. It's $730 plus shipping. It drives both of them like nobodies business. Also you may want to look at the Roc SA as it is supposed to have double the output power of the standard Roc, plus it's more musical (warm) and should help the beyers. Also the Roc SA has 36V output opposed to the normal Roc's 20V output, which is better for higher impedance headphones. Another thing is that balancing the beyers will make them sound much better. The SA version is $680 plus shipping.

For the Tube amps, you could go with the Woo Audio 3+. Best of all it's $495 bucks to boot! This thing drives both the phones not problem as well, and you get the benefit of rolling tubes to change the sound to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back