SS amp that can get the most from HD6xx
Mar 23, 2021 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

saratoga1740

New Head-Fier
I know tube amps are often mentioned as a great pairing to the HD6xx family. I was wondering what would be the best solid-state amp to use with HD6xx. I know there are many amp that could power HD6xx effortlessly I was just wondering if there is any solid-state worth noting specifically considering HD6xx.

Mar 23, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 8
Are you looking at buying?
Budget?

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Meier Corda Jazz-ff occasionally goes on sale, check with @Jan Meier for details. That amp is really wonderful with the HD 600s and is also surprisingly killer with LCD-2C.

Otherwise, look for Lake People or Violectric if you don't decide to build the Polaris.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 8
So I got the Polaris, but I actually didn't hear any difference from DX3 pro=/ Also the Polaris has channel imbalance with volume bellow 9 o'clock and anything above 9 o'clock was too loud for me. So I sold the Polaris again and I think I can save the money up...

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 8
If you want an amp that you could definitely hear a difference for your HD6XX, try the iFi ZEN CAN Signature 6XX as it has an EQ button that is tailored for the HD6XX.

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 8
In my experience, any well engineered solid state amp that provides at least 100 mW with low distortion at 300 ohms (HD6XX's impedance) should drive the headphone with enough authority beyond safety level volumes and sound the same (once volume/voltage matched).

If you need more power to reach deafening levels, better headroom (in case you EQ'd) or to drive harder headphones, the Modius/Magnius stack would do the trick for $400, as well as the new Topping A30 Pro if you already have a balanced DAC that outputs 4V.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Reebonz> I did not know there is a Signature verson of ZEN CAN. Thanks I'll think about it.

Merkurio> Well many people claim they hear differences between DACs, AMPs, cables,... After trying the Polaris I think I'm not one of them. Thanks for sugestions but I actually listen at quite low volume nor got anything balanced so it seems to me the DX3pro is quite enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back