Starcraft 2
Aug 18, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #106 of 164

Quote:
I thought it was a lot easier. (In Utter Darkness that is) Then again, I'm a protoss player so I'm sure that helps a lot.

What difficulty level were you playing it on?

I watched a video on youtube on brutal of someone resorting to invisible dark templar walls, which is pretty bad abuse of game mechanics, as the only reason he didn't get overrun. Eventually those didn't work either and the mission didn't last too much longer at that point.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #108 of 164

Quote:
does anyone else hate you can research everything, this one or the other thing sucks.

Well, after you've finished the game you should know which ones are useful and which are not I suppose. The supply drop isn't useful at all for instance (if you consider being able to be lazy not useful that is). The science vessel is the most imbalance thing in the whole game except maybe for the merc siege tanks. Either way, I kinda liked the extra units and upgrades you got in the single player. I think it made for a more diverse and interesting campaign. The drawback of the upgrades is that the singleplayer doesn't prepare you very well for the multiplayer in my opinion.

Quote:
I really enjoyed the single player campaign and also wished it was longer. Two more installments to go I guess :)

For what it's worth, during the planning of a recent lan party SC2 was brought up but due to the location's lack of internet it was a clear no-go. There are indeed situations where a LAN feature would be useful :)

Archer82: I feel your pain, when I was deployed I remember it being difficult to even load my email through the sat link. Can't imagine gaming on it! Stay safe.

No LAN is just plain annoying. If you've seen the (fairly) recent game between Madfrog and TLO then you could've witnessed lag screens. Lag screens in a match between two pro players. There has also been a Chinese event which was halted because of lag issues. Only that would be a good reason to implement a LAN feature. I can also see why someone would not want to play online because of the bad manner of some of the people online or because people don't have a stable internet connection. Plenty of reasons to have LAN.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #109 of 164

Quote:
What difficulty level were you playing it on?

I watched a video on youtube on brutal of someone resorting to invisible dark templar walls, which is pretty bad abuse of game mechanics, as the only reason he didn't get overrun. Eventually those didn't work either and the mission didn't last too much longer at that point.

I did that on brutal. I got about 8 collosus. I got immortals, stalkers and zealots to tank. I only replaced the immortals and didn't get any additional stalkers and zealots (since those die very easily anyway). Aside from that I got a few extra phoenix (phoenixen? phoenixes?) to lift hybrids and to snipe air units. After that I've placed a good amount of extra cannons in my main to not get overwhelmed by the time nyduswurms come. By the time I was able to get carriers I got some of those. I opted to not get additional voidrays since those don't charge on all those small units very well and because there are waves they'll have to charge up every time a new wave arrives.

As for upgrades. I made sure I got +2 ground weapons asap since that's a critical upgrade. You may know this, but in case anyone else doesn't: With +1 ground weapons zealots kill zerglings with one less hit and with +2 ground weapons zerglings die in a single hit from a collosus instead of 2. Other than that I don't think the order in which you're getting the upgrades doesn't really matter. (but please correct me if I'm wrong) I got two forges and two cybercores for that.

And that's pretty much it. I can't think of much else to add. I got to about 2700 or 2800 before I was completely overwhelmed by every single zerg and hybrid unit possible. Maybe this can help you as well.

Aug 18, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #110 of 164
oh mostly what i hated was that you are supposed to loose.  i got so fed up slaughering the zerg.  in fact too many levels where too scripted and on a timer.  i really didnt enjoy it.  i like to take my time and methodically build forces to my likeng and 2 never really lets you do that.

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #111 of 164
@ EnOYiN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2QbrWT90jY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LSmNC_ExkU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUq9s5UWgaY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT78t7EmNtk&feature=related

3122 kills on Brutal

(not me)

Aug 20, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #112 of 164
Just got it for my mac.  I'm a bit concerned over the reports that it won't let you play on your laptop if you travel though. .   has anyone else had/heard these reports that if you play with various IP's they will lock you out ?

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #113 of 164
Quote:
too many levels where too scripted and on a timer.  i really didnt enjoy it.  i like to take my time and methodically build forces to my likeng and 2 never really lets you do that.

I completely agree. This is my big complaint about the campaign right now. I want a challenge, but putting me on a rushed countdown isn't my idea of a good challenge. And you're right - the missions really are scripted. I'm thinking about the first mission on Char where you need to retrieve units that are landing in dropships. They drop at precise times and you have to run around dealing with them as they drop in their prescribed order. It's deliberately designed to mess with you "Two drops are about to happen, sir, there won't be time to go after them both..."

I dunno. I just have a lot less fun when the clock is ticking. Some time pressure is fine, but I would prefer more enemies and less time pressure.

I also wish that all the units were available for MP. Things like the science vessel and wraith just aren't part of the multiplayer game. It's too bad because each of them has a place. More options make things more interesting. In MP mode it seems a little too fast and easy to max everything out, research all options. It used to take real endurance to last long enough to get battlecruisers or carriers.

But those are just a couple of gripes. Overall the game is a hugely successful update to all the mechanics, art, interactions, etc. I think the story in the campaign is REALLY cool and well done (almost too good, I don't really want to watch a whole movie)

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #114 of 164
The science vessel would kick serious butt in MP. I seriously have very few things to complain about in SC2. It's just such a well polished SC experience. 

Seeing this kind of money and time thrown in an RTS game rather than a first-person shooter is a great break from the ordinary.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #115 of 164
I want to get this game, but I still am on SC1. The reason being, is that I remember playing this game from my childhood, so I found my uncles' copies of SC and the Brood War expansion and decided to installed them last night, for a bit of nostalgia. Oh, and not to mention I don't think my computer can handle SC2, considering it has a Celeron M processor (laptop).

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #116 of 164
Hey guys,

If you are into this sort of thing, there are some great commentators on youtube of various pvp matches and tournaments. My favorite is probably HDstarcraft with a close second to Huskystarcraft. I really liked Totalbiscuit, but it seems he's moved on to WoW:Cataclysm coverage. A few things with regard to this aspect of the game: check out the HDH Invitational commentated live by both Husky and HD which is an incredible pairing. There are so many matches to watch you can just queue up a ton of them at 1080p and it's like watching TV, but better cause it's SC2 and not some dumb sitcom. Also, even though I've never seen him win a tourney I am a HUGE TheLittleOne fan. He has his weaknesses (folding under pressure), but his play style is so inventive and fun to watch. WhiteRa and IdrA show why they are some of the best in the business.

I've been watching this stuff as if it were TV for the last week or so loving every minute of it. Great stuff.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #117 of 164

Quote:
The science vessel would kick serious butt in MP. I seriously have very few things to complain about in SC2. It's just such a well polished SC experience. 

Seeing this kind of money and time thrown in an RTS game rather than a first-person shooter is a great break from the ordinary.

Science vessel in MP would be broken. In many of the missions I was able to fully clear entire bases with a few BCs with attached science vessels following. Now in MP a player would micro some AA to take out the science vessels, but en masse the science vessels can keep themselves and the BCs up long enough to do pretty much anything. The only counter would be High Templar feedback, an easily dodged nuke, or mothership vortex into mass timed psi storms. Zerg would have no answer, even mass corruptors with infestors mind controlling probably wouldn't be good enough.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #118 of 164
Exactly, that was what I meant by "kick butt." They're pretty overpowered. Rush in a few BCs and Thors with a bunch of science vessels and you're golden.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #119 of 164
Quote:
 I still am on SC1

It's still a great game! I never got into the SC2 beta so I spent a lot of the last 6 months playing SC1 to brush up on my skills. It was very good practice, I find. Things have changed but strategically and tactically many of the same concepts apply.

Quote:
there are some great commentators on youtube of various pvp matches and tournaments. My favorite is probably HDstarcraft 

Yes! I have watched a ton of HDstarcraft's game casts and they're awesome. Some folks think it's weird to watch a recording of other people playing a video game, but when you watch extremely skilled players with a good announcer calling all the action, it's at least as entertaining as sports (possibly more, I mean we are talking about a war to the death in space with frikkin laser beams and stuff).

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #120 of 164
If you've been following as I said the other day, HDH2 is under way. Some of the biggest players are in this tourney including artosis, idra, whitera, sen, painuser, check.prime, madfrog, stc, dimega, qxc, masq, tlo, tt1, strelok and many others. Looks like all the participating players are finally finalized so shouldn't be too far off till we see some good eye-candy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back