Stax Omega II Mk2 setup question - headband
Jul 19, 2010 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

silverlight

100+ Head-Fier
So just breaking in a pair now.  Really like the sound.  Can hear some of the treble emphasis (although can tweak this a little with the ear pad position) that folks have talked about on the forums.  Overall really like the sound out of the box with the WES.  The amp is also new and breaking in as well.  So need to give them some time.  Also wanting to buy a pair of Mk 1's so that I can spend time with both (see my WTB - will pay good $ for a good pair!).

The one question I have is about the headband.  I find the elastic is a little tight and therefore the headband is giving me fatigue/headache after a 1/2 hr of usage.  I'm sure this will soften with time (maybe I'll pickup a styofoam head  
tongue_smile.gif
), but curious if others have experienced this and if so how you've adjusted for this?  I don't (believe I) have an abnormally large head 
dt880smile.png

Thanks for any thoughts!

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
The one question I have is about the headband.  I find the elastic is a little tight and therefore the headband is giving me fatigue/headache after a 1/2 hr of usage.  I'm sure this will soften with time (maybe I'll pickup a styofoam head  
tongue_smile.gif
), but curious if others have experienced this and if so how you've adjusted for this?  I don't (believe I) have an abnormally large head 
dt880smile.png

Thanks for any thoughts!

That is exactly the same problem as I have experienced with my O2 MK II when it was brand new. I have a pretty large head and there was no comfortable way of wearing the O2. I bent the arc but this didn't resolve the problem.

The solution was to exchange the elastic band for a slightly longer and more elastic one. Look for a high quality highly flexible 20 mm black elastic textile band. The exchange itself is very simple. All you need is a suitable Phillips-tip screwdriver, a pair of scissors, and some glue to fix the new band. I made it about 35 mm longer than the original. If the quality and the optics of the new band are good the result will be virtually indistinguishable from the original.

Changing the band makes the fit *much* better. There's no longer any difference to the SR-007 (Omega 2 MK I).

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is exactly the same problem as I have experienced with my O2 MK II when it was brand new. I have a pretty large head and there was no comfortable way of wearing the O2. I bent the arc but this didn't resolve the problem.

The solution was to exchange the elastic band for a slightly longer and more elastic one. Look for a high quality highly flexible 20 mm black elastic textile band. The exchange itself is very simple. All you need is a suitable Phillips-tip screwdriver, a pair of scissors, and some glue to fix the new band. I made it about 35 mm longer than the original. If the quality and the optics of the new band are good the result will be virtually indistinguishable from the original.

Changing the band makes the fit *much* better. There's no longer any difference to the SR-007 (Omega 2 MK I).

Perfect, that's what I was hoping to hear.  I'll start looking around for some suitable elastic band material.  Does your head now touch the arc/frame on the top?

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 6
When not wearing the phones the band & leather pad on my O2 MKII has a mean distance to the arc of ca. 1.2 to 1.5 cm. When the phones are placed on my head the distance completely diasappears in the middle 10 to 12 cm: The leather pad (on top of my head) touches the arc on said length but this provides a nice grip and does not exert too much pressure on my head.

The elastic band should be no problem to find. In case you're completey stuck I have some leftover band bought from ebay which I could send you. This would be in two weeks at the earliest as I'll soon go on vacation.

Good luck with the mod - it's really worth it!

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 6
what a difference 50 hours makes!  ran 50hrs straight with XLO burn-in track and between the WES and the headphones logging some good hours, the sibilance is gone!!  Very exciting (and a relief I'll admit!)

Still lookin for some of that elastic fabric :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back