Stax SR-007 Omega II MK1 vs MK2 vs SR-009 ? (Making the jump into High End)
Jun 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

AllsWell

100+ Head-Fier
So,.... can anyone "enlighten" me on these three headphones ?

I want to buy a pair, but have no idea which ones because;

1. I can't find any threads comparing them
2. I can't find any place to audition them here in Toronto, Canada.

ALSO,

I am contemplating on a proper electrostat amp , but am not too sure on which one. (WES, Blue Hawaii , KGSS... etc)

My favorite headphones that I own are the RS1i's. The genre of music I listen to is, Ambient, Electronica and some Classical (specifically Soundtrack music).

I would love some helpful feedback here.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 92
I have own many high end Headphone like T 1 , HD 800 and LCD 2 rev 2 and LCD 3
Last month I bought Stax Sr 007 mk 2 and electrostatic amplifier Stax Srm 727 Mk2

My DAC : April music eximus dp 1

Cd player : April music CDA 500

For dynamic driver I use : T+A pre amp V 10.2 from Germany.

With my Stax set up above the Sound Quality is already the best I ever heard to date
All my headphone collection from dynamic driver and orthos can not produce
The Sound Quality from my Stax set up

Now I bought Stax Sr 009 , it is refinement from my Stax Sr 007 mk 2
More detail, wider soundstage , better bass impact and bass transient very fast.
You feel like you sit in concert hall.

I feel from my dynamic driver and ortho the sound stage only from front to the site from my head.
With the Stax Sr 007 mk2 set up , I feel from front to the back from my head , like you sit
In mitten from the room in Home theatre audio.

From the same music CD , what from my dynamic and ortho can not hear the detail and ambient
I can hear from my Stax St 007 mk2 and Stax Sr 009

With BHSE or WES or KGSS, you can have better sound quality

I have own T+A pre amp V10.2 , I can combine with my Stax electrostatic Sr 727 mk2 plus Sr 007 mk2 As active speaker , all the volume control is from my pre amp T + A .
That s why I choose Stax sr 727 mk2 as my electrostatic amp, because I have home audio pre amp from T+A V10.2

If not I will choose from these 3 electrostatic amplifier and now have more choices
From Eddie Current Electra and from Cavalli Audio Lightmin

This is my personal impression

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 92
I had (have) RS1s (for about 8 years now and still use them sometimes for casual listening--they are so comfortable and light and still have a sound I have an affection for with non-bright sources).
I had SR007 Omega 1s for several years and liked them but found them uncomfortable and sold them. (Nice direct sound, but sometimes a bit weak, especially in the bass, maybe a touch of grain, just sometimes).
I also had Lambdas for a while with the T1W amp (kind of flat sounding, but realistic tonality, sort of, not comfortable).

So, on the basis of that experience somewhat in line with yours, I recommend this (what I have and think sounds great):
SR009s and  Stax 007t/ii amp. Nice balanced, neutral sound, keeps the moderate upper mid brightness of the SR009s in check. 'love that tube goodness.

The tonality, imaging, bass, and smoothness is much better in the 009s than the 007s (and I heard the latest 007s too).
If you can swing it, definitely get the 009s.

I blogged about this several times in the forums here over the last few months.

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 92
SR-007 Mk1 is still the best headphone Stax have ever made.  You need to get the fit right and feed them plenty of clean power but by comparison the 009 sounds artificial, highs too pronounced, the "extra detail" over the 007Mk1 isn't needed nor wanted as it just sounds odd and the bass can be odd at times. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 92
I just returned from the Newport Beach audio show this weekend. The StaxSR-009 mated to the Eddy Current electrostatic amp was truly a revalation. This is a perfect match.
Best of luck on your audio quest.

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 92
Most people have said:
1) sr009
2) mk1
3)mk2
(4) mk2.5)
But some people prefer the slightly warmer mk1 over the sr009.
From personal experience I can say I agree the mk1 is better than the mk2, since the mk1 is the same thing but a click closer to being neutral.

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 92
Quote:
O2mk1 are the best bang for the buck out of the three.

at what price point used? because of the popularity some greedy peddler or owner jerk up the price as much as $500 more than mk2 assuming same conditions. besides, i would stay away from used stat headphone. Unless I personally know the owner. And for 500 more I'd rather live with the shortfall of mk2

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 92
Quote:
at what price point used? because of the popularity some greedy peddler or owner jerk up the price as much as $500 more than mk2 assuming same conditions. besides, i would stay away from used stat headphone. Unless I personally know the owner. And for 500 more I'd rather live with the shortfall of mk2

A $1600-1800 USD range is usually about what I see them go for (for a used pair of O2mk1, that is).  I paid $1700 including shipping and PayPal for mine.  My flight case has some scratches on it, but the headphones themselves are like new.

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 92
i bought my mk2 for $1500 at pretty much mint conditions. From someone I know. I've seen mk1 offered as high as 2.3k @ebay (or audiogon?). The offer price usually 1.8k and above @ebay/audiogon. I can get mk2 brand new for around 2150. Like said, I'd settle with mk2 shortfall ,not really fatal flaw anyway, and something i can definitely live with. but for the difference of max 200 between mk1 and 2, assuming same conditions i will settle for mk1. note also the condition of mk1, discontinued on 2006 (CMIIW), the headphone been on use for 6 years (assuming purchased right before it was discontinued)

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 92
I'd say the SR009 even though the O2mk1 is arguably better value depending entirely on one's perception of "value". 

As for an amp, so far the Liquid Lightning has been the best commercial amp I have heard the SR009 out of. Really brought the 009 to life.  

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 92
Quote:
... but by comparison the 009 sounds artificial, highs too pronounced, the "extra detail" over the 007Mk1 isn't needed nor wanted as it just sounds odd and the bass can be odd at times. 

Pretty much matches the impressions of a few of my non-audiophile friends and me.  To my ears, something sounded off about the SR009, even after spending weeks with it and using them to listen to everything from lossless to YouTube.  The SR009s kind of remind me of when a video game has too much bloom and everything ends up looking sort of strange.

It just doesn't sound as musical to me as the MK2 or MK1 (never heard the MK2.5).  One of my friends who is sensitive to loud and trebly sounds found them near-unlistenable.  The only two devices I've heard that have tamed the SR009 enough for me are the LL (granted, LL heard under meet conditions with unfamiliar music) and the Realiser.

I haven't spent much time with the MK1, but from what I've heard, it's a very nice headphone and will probably be my next electrostat.  I haven't done an A/B test, but it didn't sound as dark or bassy as the MK2.  The MK2 can easily sound muddy and congested without a quality signal chain, and is probably the most unforgiving headphone I've ever encountered.

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 92
The way i would put that is that the other amps don't offer up anything in the low frequencies. This will give you the same effect as a headphone that has a lean low end response giving off too much air.  THink like a boxed speaker without baffle step compensation sorta response.

The LL as you put it is the only one i have heard it with where it sounded like the low frequencies were on par with the rest of the spectrum.

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 92
The funny thing is that, in order of priority, these are the things I've heard that have made the most improvement to the low frequencies (which is what stats tend to get criticized for):

1) Realiser
2) 300B preamp
2.5) BH and LL
3) Source + Transport

IMO, stats are a bad choice for people who want a simple solution.  An LCD-3 or HE-6 with a Tripath speaker amplifier would probably satisfy over 80% of people here.  A bad stat chain will sound worse than an LCD-3 paired with most of the amps I've heard.  Conversely, the LCD-3 just sounds terrible compared to a great stat chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back