Stax SR-009 and other high-end in EU
Dec 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MetalElvis

100+ Head-Fier
I´m looking to buy Stax SR-009 and a high-end amp like BHSE or WES, but I don´t want to order these from US, Japan... I want to order them inside EU to avoid the customs taxes and the hassle.

Is there good distributors in EU for high-end stuff like this?

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 8
There are lots of Stax distributors/dealers in the EU. But none of the high-end US amp manufacturers have a dealer network outside of the US, and some just don't have any distributors/dealers at all.

The one exception I can think of is that the UK's www.highendworkshop.co.uk does both Stax and the Liquid Lightning amp - although the latter is not obvious from their website.

But if you want,say, the BHSE amp, then you have no choice but to it get mail order, direct from Justin's headamp site.

I also prefer to buy locally where possible, but my BHSE order was painless (apart from waiting for the units to be built). And the amount of import taxes you pay does depend on what the supplier puts on the shipping papers. In my case, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 8
I've both the BHSE + 009's and although I'll never sell my BHSE, I might eventually sell the 009's. Before I consider doing that though I'm going to hear them with the Aristaeus I've on order. If the Aristaeus takes away the edge I hear with some recordings when driven by the BHSE, I'll probably end up keeping the 009's.
If I do end up keeping them, then I've something else in mind to get rid of that extruding headband that I think spoils the looks of the 009's. I enquired about having a different headband made sometime ago but was unsuccessful, but because IMO that extruding band is such an eye sore, I've come up with another plan.

I got my 009's from pricejapan.com but as Richard [ TheAttorney ] said, the BHSE can only be got via Justin. Unless someone is willing to sell their BHSE, but I've never seen anyone wanting to do that.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
What is this "edge" you mean with the sound of SR-009 + BHSE?

With some of my CD's which I believe is how they were recorded, there's an edge to some instruments which I find uncomfortable using the 009 / BHSE. I listened to the same song's with the 007mk1 / BHSE and heard no such problem. I don't know where you live MetalElvis, but if you can get through to my place you're more than welcome to have a listen.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
i wouldnt be able to afford giving a dealer 30%+ on a BHSE.  also, if you look at prices of other U.S. audio products, you're going to pay more in Europe, as the taxes will already be included in the price, and then there's usually another 10-20% on top of that

In my experience of buying US-sourced high end in the UK, you typically can just substitute $ for £. That is, a $6k component will cost almost £6k in the UK. Which is 50%-60% increase at current exchange rates.

This is because any reputable importer will feel obliged to pay the full import duties and VAT. Then there's the importer/distributor's profit margin. Then there's the dealer's margin, as dealers and importers are not usually the same company, at least for big name brands.

In the past, I didn't begrudge the high end dealers their profits, as they gave great service and after care. These days, with global Internet shopping is so commonplace, that traditional local service is sadly dying out, but it's difficult to not be seduced by a 60% saving...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back