Stax SR-009: Best Headphone Ever Made? - Head-Fi TV, Episode 008
Sep 13, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #406 of 423

The link says 100 volts only. You would need a voltage transformer, modified power supply, or perhaps a polarity inverter to use it in your country.

It's an extension cable.

That's the notorious STAX fart!
biggrin.gif

(No worries, it's normal.)

Ah great, thank you mate. The mystery is solved :)
I figured that the pressure lock would help increase the base dB so it wasn't actually a bad thing. Just wasn't sure whether chewing could damage the driver by putting _too_ much pressure on it. Guess not. Thanks for your reply Music Alchemist.

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #407 of 423

The link says 100 volts only. You would need a voltage transformer, modified power supply, or perhaps a polarity inverter to use it in your country.

It's an extension cable.

That's the notorious STAX fart!
biggrin.gif

(No worries, it's normal.)

thanks.

that's funny.

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #408 of 423
  I am looking at the SR-009 though I do not have current plan to buy it. I have two questions.

1. Some bought it from PriceJapan. If you also buy amp SRM-007tA from them what power voltage is it? Can you set on the unit to work on 110v or you have to use a an adaptor?

2. as I read the SR-009 cable is not user detachable, so what's the cable SRE-950S for?

950 S is a 5 meters extension cable 

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #412 of 423
HD650 has velour pads, there's nothing better than velour pads.
Oh, and the upgrades you can do to HD650...mmm +1000 usd cables and 5000usd tube amplifiers for a 300usd headphone...c'mon, you can't do that with Stax!!! (strong irony here)

All hail the god of headphones, Chuck Norris said velour pads and Sennheiser made the HD650

Jul 31, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #413 of 423

I'm just going to humor you here: In which ways does the HD 650 sound better to you than the SR-009?

He won't be answering you anytime soon. 
wink.gif

I have owned the HD650 and the only thing they did better than the SR009s was cost less. 
tongue.gif
 To be fair, I never really got into the HD650s way back when and though I've gone back to them several times in the past, I ended up preferring the HD600s to them.

Jul 31, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #414 of 423
  He won't be answering you anytime soon. 
wink.gif

I have owned the HD650 and the only thing they did better than the SR009s was cost less. 
tongue.gif
 To be fair, I never really got into the HD650s way back when and though I've gone back to them several times in the past, I ended up preferring the HD600s to them.

I had an HD 650 too and thought it couldn't compare at all to the STAX SR-207.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #418 of 423
[I hope it's okay to dig this topic out again, even if it's only 2-3 months old.]

This video makes me contemplate. Isn't owning insanely expensive gear "dangerous"? In a twisted way, once you reach a certain level and have gotten used to it, you will find that anything below that sounds like crap.

I remember when I stocked up from my 10€ headphones to 50€ ones and assumed it was the best sound there could ever be, until I bought 250€ headphones and suddenly realized that my 50€ are actually pretty damn lackluster as well. From where I stand right now, I cannot go back down again, because now I know what I'm "missing out" with my cheap headphones. So if my 250€ headphones were ever going to break, I simply couldn't pick anything that plays in leagues below it.

If I were to listen to STAX for a couple weeks now, like it was done in this video, wouldn't it just leave me craving to hear that incredible sound again? Instead I would be sitting here with headphones that cost a small fraction of the 10,000€+ one has to pay for STAX plus amp, knowing full well that I'm deluding myself into thinking my 250€ headphones are good.

To put it in one sentence: Can you get addicted to expensive HiFi gear?

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #419 of 423
Well, buying more expensivegear unlocks the pyschological barriers one sets in regards to price limit... we all did like you, I am afraid to say there is no return trip lol.
On the other hand, don't fear you may be missing so much, the fun is also enjoying what you have...

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #420 of 423
  [I hope it's okay to dig this topic out again, even if it's only 2-3 months old.]

This video makes me contemplate. Isn't owning insanely expensive gear "dangerous"? In a twisted way, once you reach a certain level and have gotten used to it, you will find that anything below that sounds like crap.

I remember when I stocked up from my 10€ headphones to 50€ ones and assumed it was the best sound there could ever be, until I bought 250€ headphones and suddenly realized that my 50€ are actually pretty damn lackluster as well. From where I stand right now, I cannot go back down again, because now I know what I'm "missing out" with my cheap headphones. So if my 250€ headphones were ever going to break, I simply couldn't pick anything that plays in leagues below it.

If I were to listen to STAX for a couple weeks now, like it was done in this video, wouldn't it just leave me craving to hear that incredible sound again? Instead I would be sitting here with headphones that cost a small fraction of the 10,000€+ one has to pay for STAX plus amp, knowing full well that I'm deluding myself into thinking my 250€ headphones are good.

To put it in one sentence: Can you get addicted to expensive HiFi gear?

Naa, don't agree. The enjoyment of good audio gear IMO totally pays back in the hours and hours of enjoyment you can get. Lets look at the cost of a car for example, 3 years later you sell it and want the next newer model. Yes there are upgrade obsessives but I have had some hifi gear for years going back to when I started this hobby, lot longer than a car last. I think it comes down to priorities. Most folk can cut back on something else divert some cash for a better setup.

There is a level of gear that pretty much ticks all the boxes. That level is very personal, and with care it doesn't need to bankrupt you. Plenty of advice and ideas on here for example. You can build a DAC or amp from a DIY group buy, there are DAC kits (tubed) which I have build in the past. Or buy used. Options.

IMO the bizarre aspect of high end headphone systems is the 'one person' aspect of it. It is not so much a sharing hobby lets face it. Yes 2 sockets on the amp bla boa, but how many of use really have the other half as involved to the same extent? I would put it myself at 10% use to my 90%. So that does leave a money issue right there, to justify a personal spend in a relationship.

Anyway, my thoughts. If you have the interest and the passion in music keep going is my advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back