Stax SR-X1 (new entry model)
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Chefguru

Headphoneus Supremus
STAX just announced a new entry level model the SR-X1 (or SR-X1000 for the amp bundle) that appears to be based on their older professional/neutral tuned SR-X line.

SR-X1 alone is expected to cost 50,000 to 70,000 yen ($330~450 usd)
A set of SRS-1000 with an included amp is expected to cost 100,000 to 120,000 yen ($660-800)

Release date is still undecided, but likely to be between March and May.

People who demoed the unit this week said:
"SR-X1 is that it is light, and the assembly is made of metal, making it easy to handle.
This is a really nice. As for the sound, the sound is completely different from the L300 that I own, and it gives me the impression that it's a new series. The claim that it is flat and neutral is true, and it produces beautiful and delicate sounds in all bands. Even when listening to jazz or big band, you can hear the clear vocals typical of STAX even when listening to solid low and mid-range vocals. The stage feels more spacious than the L300, and the sound is natural and easy to listen to, making it ideal for long listening sessions. I'll definitely buy it."

Attachments

• 2DDC04155.jpg
    2DDC04155.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2DDC04160.jpg
    2DDC04160.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240210-00120931-phileweb-000-1-view.jpg
    20240210-00120931-phileweb-000-1-view.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 0
  • GF74juUbsAAGlJq.jpg
    GF74juUbsAAGlJq.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 0
  • GF8GoeAaQAAVRhs.jpg
    GF8GoeAaQAAVRhs.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 0
  • GF8RivdbQAAzYfC.jpg
    GF8RivdbQAAzYfC.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • GF9DeFOaUAEeoRZ.jpg
    GF9DeFOaUAEeoRZ.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 0
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 62
Awesome, finally, and cheaper than expected!

Im glad they didnt cheapen with plastic headband yokes like L300. SR-X1 cup grills looker sturdier and the metal yokes together I expect will be much more solid and less creaky than my L500mk1

Any pics of the pads + ear side? I am wondering if this is supraaural like the old SR-X.

Looks like the amp is a new model as well called 270S.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 62
Huh, I might have to pick up a pair of these to try.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 62
Price point is fantastic
Yes. Should sell well. Much more interesting than another Lambda with 1-2kHz peak. edit:
And the build quality on Lambda has gotten worse so hopefully SR-X1 fixes that as well.

SR-X1 alone is expected to cost 50,000 to 70,000 yen ($330~450 usd)
A set of SRS-1000 with an included amp is expected to cost 100,000 to 120,000 yen ($660-800)
Street price tends to be lower than MSRP over time too. Should be interesting how they fare against (prior?) bottom-tier Stax L300.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 62
Im wondering driver dimensions and if this will do bass better than L3/500.

For some comparison here is an old SR-X mk3 I took apart recently. See old SR-X next to SR-1X in chefguru’s post for some visual reference. (attached). Based on pics I would say SR-X1 is quite a bit larger relatively.

Attachments

• IMG_2406.jpeg
    IMG_2406.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2226.jpeg
    IMG_2226.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2228.jpeg
    IMG_2228.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2231.jpeg
    IMG_2231.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2229.jpeg
    IMG_2229.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 62
This is a great move from them as having an entry level "normal" looking headphone is a great decision. Makes it much easier to consume, especially with the amp/headphone combo. I know many people who enjoy Stax models but don't want to put up with the look of them or spend the money for the TOTL Omega series.

Feb 11, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 62

For some comparison here is an old SR-X mk3 I took apart recently. See old SR-X next to SR-1X in chefguru’s post for some visual reference. (attached). Based on pics I would say SR-X1 is quite a bit larger relatively.
I have two pairs of SR-X mk3 that both have more body (maybe marginally less extension) than my blu-tacked L500 mk1. I think the amp is pivotal in this respect (Fiio E09K/E17 -> Chi-fi (Prozor???) -> SRDX-Pro). The bass of a SR-X mk3 driver is severly underated and can achieve some truly thunderous bass un-modded ime while retaining the top end clarity and all things that make the SR-X an SR-X :wink:.

In my mind I seem to be associating the SR-X1 with the SR-X (mk3) but it sounds like the only thing they have in common is the name. I'm not familiar with STAX release cycles :frowning2:. I presume there will be a mid-tier 'X' at some point and maybe a top-tier (is X9000 considered top-tier or flagship?), and does this mean more Lambdas' soon? I hope they don't "relegate" a new Lambda to top-tier or ditch it altogether.

Feb 11, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 62
I have two pairs of SR-X mk3 that both have more body (maybe marginally less extension) than my blu-tacked L500 mk1. I think the amp is pivotal in this respect (Fiio E09K/E17 -> Chi-fi (Prozor???) -> SRDX-Pro). The bass of a SR-X mk3 driver is severly underated and can achieve some truly thunderous bass un-modded ime while retaining the top end clarity and all things that make the SR-X an SR-X :wink:.

In my mind I seem to be associating the SR-X1 with the SR-X (mk3) but it sounds like the only thing they have in common is the name. I'm not familiar with STAX release cycles :frowning2:. I presume there will be a mid-tier 'X' at some point and maybe a top-tier (is X9000 considered top-tier or flagship?), and does this mean more Lambdas' soon? I hope they don't "relegate" a new Lambda to top-tier or ditch it altogether.
I think the x9000 will stay their top tier and everything after this will be some sort of trickled down tech. In 2012 the 009 was released and three years later the updated lambdas were released. The L700 being the major trickle down technology. So I imagine that they’ll either make an updated 007 (x7000 ?) and/or create another lambda series. They just discontinued the 007a from what I’ve heard so I wonder if they plan on releasing a replacement (the US version 007mk2 is still available).

As for the lambda series, I can imagine they’ll always have some sort of lambda. But it’s possible they will want to move away from it due to the look and design being so polarizing (I personally like it). The Stax Sigma was one of their prize creations but something like that has little to no chance of surviving in today’s market. So who knows, but I think they’ll keep around if not just for brand recognition as many people associate Stax as the square headphone company.

Feb 12, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #12 of 62

TBH, looking at the side-by-side photo with SR-Xmk3, the SR-X1 driver doesnt look much bigger. It is also curious whether the SR-X1 has supra-aural or circumaural earpads...none of the photos seem to show.

Here is a translated version of the Japanese leaflet:
SR-X1(仮)

A new generation entry device that traces the roots of electrostatic ear speakers.
●Development concept
Introducing the SR-X1, a new entry-level model that is a
modern design of the
traditional small circular ear speaker. Passing authentic electrostatic sound to the next generation. The
heritage design, which is based on the motif of successive ear speakers, SR-1 and SR-X, embodies
this idea.
Reference production in February 2024
Suggested retail price: TBA
JAN CODE: Undecided
Release date: TBA
●Newly designed medium-sized circular unit with flat and neutral reproducibility
The sounding body, which is the basis of sound quality, is equipped with a newly designed medium-
sized circular unit. It features flat and neutral reproducibility, which is a characteristic of electrostatic
types. Compared to previous models, the sounding unit is placed directly inside the housing, and the
seams between each part are minimized to achieve accurate and centered sound. The back slit field
on the open side is not uniform in thickness and has a smooth curved shape to allow sound waves to
pass through smoothly and reduce distortion. Mechanically, it uses a re-cable structure. The rational design
and thorough pursuit of minimization for high sound quality in various parts bring out the best
performance from the SR-X1.
●Renovated arc design and improved fit
Unnecessary resonance is suppressed by using metal material for the frame structure. The rigidity of
the arc assembly, which was often overlooked in previous entries, has also been updated. By actively
using metal materials, the arc and head pad are integrated, making it lightweight enough to prevent
listening fatigue even when listening for long periods of time. The ear pads are soft to the touch.
Adopts bushkin (sheepskin). The interior uses new memory foam for an even better fit.
is being improved.
●Format: Push-pull electrostatic (Seiden type) circular sounding body, rear open enclosure (case) ●Reproduction
frequency band: 7-41,000Hz ◆Capacitance: 110 pF (including attached cable) ●Impedance: 145k (Including the attached
cable at 10kHz) ●Sound pressure sensitivity: 101dB/100Vr.m.s. Input/1kHz ●Bias voltage: DC580V ●Body
left/right display: Marked on the slide housing ●Cable left/right display: Solid line (left), dotted line ( right), and L and
R markings on the mating part ●Ear pads: sheepskin (part that covers the ears) ●Included cable: OFC 6 parallel
cores, total length 2.5m ●Weight: 234g (main unit only) ●Country of manufacture: Japan
SRS-X1000 (tentative)

The arc and case holder parts have been
changed to metal materials to pursue lightness
and rigidity.
Electrostatic type First step for beginners Successor to long-selling system
SR-X1 + SRM-270S (newly developed set model driver unit)
A set that combines the SR-X1 with the newly developed small driver unit SRM-270S
is SRS-X1000. The SRM-270S has updated the design of the previous model (SRM-252S),
including a higher quality RCA pin jack, a 3mm thick front aluminum panel, and an extruded
aluminum case that is larger and has improved heat dissipation. The first stage of the amplifier is
selected from the latest low-noise FETs, and the output stage is equipped with a refined emitter
follower circuit. The latest design know-how that follows recent trends in driver development is condensed
into a compact housing. It is equipped with parallel output terminals for input and output, so it
can be easily combined with your current system. The SRS-X1000 has a high degree of freedom in
installation, making it an all-purpose set model that is recommended not only for listening to
music but also for personal movie viewing on your desktop or bedside.
<Ear speaker: SR-X1> <Driver unit SRM-270S> ●Frequency characteristics: DC-35,000Hz
Rated input level: 125mV (when outputting 100V) ● Rising: 58dB ● Harmonic weight: 0.01% or less (when outputting
1kHz. 100Vr.m.s.) ● Input impedance: 25kQ ● Maximum output voltage: 280Vr.m.s. ● Bias voltage: DC580V ●Operating
environment: 0°-35°C (no condensation) ●Power consumption: DC12V/500mA ●Accessories: Dedicated AC adapter
lid, RCA cable ●External dimensions: 132Wx3BHx1530mm ●Weight: 540g ●Country of manufacture: Japan

*Specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice for improvement. Please use it in combination with our driver unit.
Stax Co., Ltd.
3798-1 Shimonanhata, Fujimi City, Saitama Prefecture 354-0004
TEL: 049-293-1891
FAX: 049-293-1892
URL: https://www.stax.co.jp
Equipped with a newly developed medium-sized circular
unit that has been refined to streamline the design
and improve sound quality.
Suggested retail price: TBA
JAN CODE: Undecided
Release date: TBA
High quality RCA terminal.
Parallel out terminal allows
easy installation into existing
systems

Attachments

• b80760ac-8159-4865-92f8-81fe56cbf735.jpg
    b80760ac-8159-4865-92f8-81fe56cbf735.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 12, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 62
The driver definitely looks to be similar in size and I'm surprised it's using quite a simple pattern, in contrast to the more complicated ones of the older stax. I half expected them to make another mesh model like the original SR-X.

They should be circumaural though since even with the smaller vintage non X round models, they manage to have circumaural pads on those

Really looking forward to more impressions of these

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #14 of 62
Agree that driver size looks similar, hack job but should make the comparison easier. Really looking forward to these, and once I get them if they are circumaural (which would make sense given the current state of the market) I'll try swapping in the same supra pads I use with the SR-Xs.

1707745477538.png

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #15 of 62
I do like the idea of having different pad options. That was one of the big modifiers to the sound signature on the SR-X Mk3 and SR-5 Gold. Both had the same driver but the SR-X Mk3 had superaural pads since Stax believed it would be more neutral.

On the other hand, the SR-5 had circumaural pads and a much more coloured and warm sound signature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back