Stax SR-X9000
Jul 19, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #2,508 of 3,060
Hi @nepherte , @hiso67, @normie610,

Thanks for your message.

I sold my VIVA EGOISTA 845 to order the VIVA EGOISTA STX which will arrive in June. I'm posting some exterior photos of the brown version of my old EGOISTA 845. I have never taken interior photos but I have opened the device.

However to answer the discussions, I propose you here a small synthesis.

As soon as I receive my VIVA EGOISTA STX I will publish some pictures of the exterior and interior.

Here are some interior photos but related to the VIVA SOLISTA speaker amplifier which met a huge success on the market.

The dynamic headphone amplifier VIVA EGOISTA 845 (Tubes 845) is a variation of the SOLISTA. This last one has also met a huge success. It is a reference.

The VIVA EGOISTA STX is also a variation of the SOLISTA and 845 MKII experiences. But dedicated to electrostatic headphones.

The founder of VIVA is a fan of STAX. He created the STX to optimize it for his personal headphones: STAX SR-009s. All current owners say that the STX works great for the STAX X9000. However, a majority of STX buyers upgrade the tubes to ELROG 300B MO: https://www.elrog.com/prices/ (With the stock tubes, it is incredible. Upgrading the tubes pushes the SQ even further).

Let's go back to the pictures. I propose you the pictures of the VIVA SOLISTA (which is more than 10 years old) as I don't have the inside pictures of my old VIVA EGOISTA and I can't find any internal picture of it on the internet. VIVA EGOISTA 845 and STX all decline from SOLISTA.

I find the implementation very clean in a "cable in the air" approach. This is in line with the VIVA philosophy: air cabling, without any electronic circuitry to be in a "pure" energy mode... pure amplification flow.

Here is what is said by experts and customers of the brand:
it is that the quality of manufacture is associated with the power / robustness of the chassis.

A very rigid chassis that follows the maxim of 'tube' assembly: all energy components must be constrained, all components in the signal path must be free. Thus, the transformers are riveted on the chassis (inside picture 1 and 2).

Then, inside picture 3 and 4, a 'purist' air assembly: in a star shape, tails to tails, to avoid meters of inefficient and noisy resistive cables.

For the 845, hybrid power supply with two 845 tubes in rectifiers plus choke inductors. See between the supply and output transformers. Essential inductor against hum. Motorized resistive potentiometer to allow a continuous variation of the output volume.

Great visual and sound art. The EGOISTA STX uses this long experience with tubes for dynamic speakers and headphones and adapts them to electrostatics.

No electronic circuit, only electric cable with very little resistance and very little noise, "pure" energy mode. To leave the way free to the electric flow, to the power.

As soon as I receive my STX I will post some pictures of the interior of the product.

I hope to have answered your questions.

Let's wait until June for the pictures of the STX :wink:

Looking forward your review and internal pictures.

I have been using the Viva STX for half a year now, it has been a very good match for my X9000. It has a mesmerizing sound, very enjoyable to listen to.
I upgraded the 300b to takatsuki TA-300b, which outperform the original tube in every perceivable way except for the warmth in mid range. TA-300b is a morden tube with very good sound quality, higly recommanded.
As for the internal pictures of the Viva STX, it originally came from this chinese forum http://www.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2294905 (btw the same guy also posted internal pictures of other well-known amps like Woo 3ES, http://www.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2239622)
Note that the placement of the 300b tube in that thread, which is in the middle of the amp. It is different from the Viva STX currently in production, in which the 300b tube is placed in the front of the amp. So I suppose there might be some differences interally as well.

Attachments

• 20230617_193842.JPG
    20230617_193842.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #2,509 of 3,060
My SRD-7 MK2 finally arrived, it was stuck in customs for a week and a half. Within 24hrs I find myself cutting and soldering it. Put a 4 pin XLR on it and have it hooked up to my Bliss as I type this. Can still do speaker terminals if I want, I simply connect my XLR to banana plug adapter.

Hasn't blown up my Lambda Pro after an hour so I guess I'll hook up the X9000 soon.
Next up is removing the thermistor inside, replacing capacitors and swapping some resistors around.

Update: Holo Bliss + X9000 is... bliss. Wow. Would love to head to head this setup against BHSE, I think this "cheap" $3k amp could hold its own. More people should explore using estats on traditional amps imo. I haven't even modded the SRD-7 yet, let alone built my own Lundahl transformer box. Only gonna get better from here.

Attachments

• 356870053_273825271922435_4206497426378799557_n.jpg
    356870053_273825271922435_4206497426378799557_n.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 356936661_192187146937943_2805862830256950168_n.jpg
    356936661_192187146937943_2805862830256950168_n.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #2,510 of 3,060
I listened to the X9K all day yesterday and today. It's a better "all arounder" than the Shang Sr. The Shang Sr has better resolution, detail, imaging, etc. It's better at the technical aspects. However, the X9K has a better low-end, and you can even listen to rap off it and it's fine. You cannot listen to rap off the Shang Sr without being disappointed.

I like the Shang Sr better, but that's only because I have other headphones for bass heavy music (which is about 50% of my listening). If I could only have one pair of headphones, and it had to be an estat, I think I might choose the X9K over the Shang Sr. It does everything well.

The Shang is still my 2nd favorite pair of headphones after the TCs, but the X9K is really a special pair of headphones. I'm glad I have it in my collection. :L3000:

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #2,511 of 3,060
I listened to the X9K all day yesterday and today. It's a better "all arounder" than the Shang Sr. The Shang Sr has better resolution, detail, imaging, etc. It's better at the technical aspects. However, the X9K has a better low-end, and you can even listen to rap off it and it's fine. You cannot listen to rap off the Shang Sr without being disappointed.

Stats are not for rap my friend lol.. the 007 is the only stat (right model/variation) that I can tolerate rap/bass heavy rock/etc on. Stats are just not good for "rocking out" or "heavy thumping" genres. The TC, L3000, Caldera, Utopia etc. are all far better in that regard, and the only headphones I ever catch myself sometimes listening to bass heavy music on.

I do think of all the stats out there, the x9000 fairs a bit better, but still in the same general bucket--as a fan of rap, I couldn't listen to it on it at all lol. The CRBN was a bit better than it, but with much less technical prowess.

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #2,512 of 3,060
Stats are not for rap my friend lol.. the 007 is the only stat (right model/variation) that I can tolerate rap/bass heavy rock/etc on. Stats are just not good for "rocking out" or "heavy thumping" genres. The TC, L3000, Caldera, Utopia etc. are all far better in that regard, and the only headphones I ever catch myself sometimes listening to bass heavy music on.

I do think of all the stats out there, the x9000 fairs a bit better, but still in the same general bucket--as a fan of rap, I couldn't listen to it on it at all lol. The CRBN was a bit better than it, but with much less technical prowess.
Oh definitely. Estats are not for rap, but if they were my only choice in a hypothetical situation, the X9K works. The CRBN does too, but I agree, it has much less technical prowess, and it's not worth that tradeoff.

The HE-1 actually worked really well with rap. I keep going back to my listening time with the HE-1. It really impressed me, and I want to listen to them again. Ideally, I'd love to compare my TC setup with the HE-1, but that's next to impossible. I don't think the HE-1 is necessarily better than my TC setup, but I need more time with them. If I had a random $60K to just drop on anything, I'd purchase the HE-1 in a heartbeat.

Did you get a chance to listen to the HE-1 at Can Jam Chicago?

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #2,513 of 3,060
Oh definitely. Estats are not for rap, but if they were my only choice in a hypothetical situation, the X9K works. The CRBN does too, but I agree, it has much less technical prowess, and it's not worth that tradeoff.

The HE-1 actually worked really well with rap. I keep going back to my listening time with the HE-1. It really impressed me, and I want to listen to them again. Ideally, I'd love to compare my TC setup with the HE-1, but that's next to impossible. I don't think the HE-1 is necessarily better than my TC setup, but I need more time with them. If I had a random $60K to just drop on anything, I'd purchase the HE-1 in a heartbeat.

Did you get a chance to listen to the HE-1 at Can Jam Chicago?

Makes sense, especially given your preferences. And if a stat can suffice for rap and other genres for you, while still being as amazing in other intricate genres with less bass requirements it seems like a win win.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the HE-1 because I'm an idiot lol. I had so much going on and was just barely even able to make the event that I didn't realize you needed to sign up before, or that it was going to be there in the first place. The HE90 is so good that I really would LOVE to hear the HE-1. (btw, I'm pretty sure the HE90 would work for you with rap as well based on this convo). I'm going to be more intentional about hearing it at a future canjam or meet. How/where were you able to hear it?

Lastly, I think the hardest pill to swallow with these ultra premium headphones (HE-1, SGL Sr., etc) is that the performance gain to price ratio is not linear whatsoever. As for the Sr., to me, it is undoubtably the best I've ever heard.. and I'm sure the HE-1, Aperio, etc. to others the exact same... yet, something like the TC, x9000, Sr1a, etc. aren't far at all generally in what they excel in and based on preferences/genres one loves, one can prefer them to the much pricier models.

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #2,514 of 3,060
Makes sense, especially given your preferences. And if a stat can suffice for rap and other genres for you, while still being as amazing in other intricate genres with less bass requirements it seems like a win win.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the HE-1 because I'm an idiot lol. I had so much going on and was just barely even able to make the event that I didn't realize you needed to sign up before, or that it was going to be there in the first place. The HE90 is so good that I really would LOVE to hear the HE-1. (btw, I'm pretty sure the HE90 would work for you with rap as well based on this convo). I'm going to be more intentional about hearing it at a future canjam or meet. How/where were you able to hear it?

Lastly, I think the hardest pill to swallow with these ultra premium headphones (HE-1, SGL Sr., etc) is that the performance gain to price ratio is not linear whatsoever. As for the Sr., to me, it is undoubtably the best I've ever heard.. and I'm sure the HE-1, Aperio, etc. to others the exact same... yet, something like the TC, x9000, Sr1a, etc. aren't far at all generally in what they excel in and based on preferences/genres one loves, one can prefer them to the much pricier models.
Yeah, the price is crazy. I really wish Senn would just release the headphones separately like Hifiman. I guess the design of the HE-1 may not allow for that. The HE90 intrigues me, but I'm always very skeptical about buying such older headphones and the reliability concerns that come with that. I'd love to hear them though.

I heard the HE-1 at Can Jam. I was very intentional with my listening experience. I can pick up on the sound of a headphone pretty quickly, so I blew through so many songs in my limited time. I played rap, metal, rock, indie, etc. I would love to have more time with them though to better understand the technicalities. The Shang is better at resolution, soudstage, imaging, and those technicals though (that was pretty clear). The HE-1 had a much better low end, which works well with my preferred genres. I was actually very surprised at how good the bass was. It didn't sound like an estat really at all. I could see somebody definitely preferring the Shang to the HE-1 though. If you want the best resolution, speed, imagining, etc., I think you would prefer the Shang.

Now, how does the HE-1 compare to planars? That is a different subject. I think a good TC setup might be better. I think a good Susvara setup (and I was lucky enough to hear a very well thought out Sus chain at a friend's house), might beat the HE-1 too (my friend agreed). However, we didn't hear them side by side.

The thing with a very well thought out TC or Sus chain, is that you are spending basically the same as the HE-1 (maybe more). The beauty of the HE-1 is that it's an all in one setup. I know people buy external dacs and the like, but you don't have to.

However, you are stuck with just one pair of headphones, while with setups like ours, we can listen to myriad different headphones, presentations, sound signatures, etc. We can choose headphones for specific genres. There is a lot of benefit to that, and as headphones evolve, we can evolve too. That's why I wouldn't sell my setup and exchange it with the HE-1. I think the more practical solution (if you can call audiophile setups practical in Summit-Fi), is to go with separates like we have. The target audience for the HE-1 might now even have to worry about an either or concern though.

I know a few people on head-fi that sold their chain and headphones and got the HE-1, and they appear to be very happy with their decision. So, for others it might be a good alternative. But for me, it would be very hard to give up the variety my collection and setup provides.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #2,515 of 3,060
I'd even go as far as saying some could be happiest with a ~$500 pair of Lambdas. Listening to my Pro today and it was impressive. More dynamic/punchy than a lot of estats.

Jul 24, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #2,516 of 3,060
Just wondering, could you try swapping the pads?
I concur- this sounds like a potential pad issue (relating to treble not the db difference unit)
How do I swap the pads I'm looking at previous posts in the thread and it seems as if you have to almost fully disassemble the headphone to remove the pads? Are there any clear instructions on how to install the pads?

Jul 24, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #2,517 of 3,060
Yeah, the price is crazy. I really wish Senn would just release the headphones separately like Hifiman. I guess the design of the HE-1 may not allow for that. The HE90 intrigues me, but I'm always very skeptical about buying such older headphones and the reliability concerns that come with that. I'd love to hear them though.

I heard the HE-1 at Can Jam. I was very intentional with my listening experience. I can pick up on the sound of a headphone pretty quickly, so I blew through so many songs in my limited time. I played rap, metal, rock, indie, etc. I would love to have more time with them though to better understand the technicalities. The Shang is better at resolution, soudstage, imaging, and those technicals though (that was pretty clear). The HE-1 had a much better low end, which works well with my preferred genres. I was actually very surprised at how good the bass was. It didn't sound like an estat really at all. I could see somebody definitely preferring the Shang to the HE-1 though. If you want the best resolution, speed, imagining, etc., I think you would prefer the Shang.

Now, how does the HE-1 compare to planars? That is a different subject. I think a good TC setup might be better. I think a good Susvara setup (and I was lucky enough to hear a very well thought out Sus chain at a friend's house), might beat the HE-1 too (my friend agreed). However, we didn't hear them side by side.

Yup, it all just depends on what you value and listen to. I'd totally understand someone saying they prefer the TC over anything else with the things it uniquely does (bass/slam) while still having a ton of clarity and resolution. As you mention, I do think the Shang is a level ahead resolution wise over anything else, but at the same time that may not be a top priority for someone, and it comes at the cost of not having substantial bass. (Although, I've really been surprised by the difference new pads have made, the bass is back to where I assessed it in my initial listens, which is much closer to the x9000/CRBN levels. Not sure how long you've had your pads and how many hours you've put on them, but you may want to look into).

But main point being, I try to be really careful about not imposing the SGL Sr. on people as something they have to hear/buy or as some sort of absolute best, because it all just depends on the person, despite how good I find them to be.

The thing with a very well thought out TC or Sus chain, is that you are spending basically the same as the HE-1 (maybe more). The beauty of the HE-1 is that it's an all in one setup. I know people buy external dacs and the like, but you don't have to.

However, you are stuck with just one pair of headphones, while with setups like ours, we can listen to myriad different headphones, presentations, sound signatures, etc. We can choose headphones for specific genres. There is a lot of benefit to that, and as headphones evolve, we can evolve too. That's why I wouldn't sell my setup and exchange it with the HE-1. I think the more practical solution (if you can call audiophile setups practical in Summit-Fi), is to go with separates like we have. The target audience for the HE-1 might now even have to worry about an either or concern though.

I know a few people on head-fi that sold their chain and headphones and got the HE-1, and they appear to be very happy with their decision. So, for others it might be a good alternative. But for me, it would be very hard to give up the variety my collection and setup provides.

Outside of affordability, this is one reason I wish Sennheiser would've avoided the absolute all in one solution. I also think it's a big reason they haven't sold as well as they could. At this level in the hobby, we all have our own, carefully curated chains that can benefit many headphones. I don't want a DAC or Amp from a headphone company, historically you just pay an insane price to performance premium--which was the exact same case with the HE90/HEV90. There is no doubt in my mind that TOTL KG designs are better than anything Sennheiser could ever put together. So yea, it just makes it a non-starter for some of us that otherwise would entertain it.

I do think though, that maybe they did this due to the risks users put themselves in with the original HE90 with exploring different amps with varying bias levels. I assume that's a headache they wanted to avoid, although I think the market/use case they were trying to fit and satisfy probably trumps that.

Jul 24, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #2,518 of 3,060
Outside of affordability, this is one reason I wish Sennheiser would've avoided the absolute all in one solution. I also think it's a big reason they haven't sold as well as they could. At this level in the hobby, we all have our own, carefully curated chains that can benefit many headphones. I don't want a DAC or Amp from a headphone company, historically you just pay an insane price to performance premium--which was the exact same case with the HE90/HEV90. There is no doubt in my mind that TOTL KG designs are better than anything Sennheiser could ever put together. So yea, it just makes it a non-starter for some of us that otherwise would entertain it.

I do think though, that maybe they did this due to the risks users put themselves in with the original HE90 with exploring different amps with varying bias levels. I assume that's a headache they wanted to avoid, although I think the market/use case they were trying to fit and satisfy probably trumps that.
The HE-1 has amplifiers built into the ear cups. Given that design choice, custom ancillary electronics were almost certainly mandated.

Also, the base unit has analog inputs, so you may use the DAC of your choosing, FWIW.

For me, the non-starter is the price tag, not the lack of modularity. :relaxed: That said, there's a possibility I'll be able to audition the HE-1 in a private setting later this year. Fingers crossed it actually happens!

Jul 24, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #2,519 of 3,060
The HE-1 has amplifiers built into the ear cups. Given that design choice, custom ancillary electronics were almost certainly mandated.

Also, the base unit has analog inputs, so you may use the DAC of your choosing, FWIW.

For me, the non-starter is the price tag, not the lack of modularity. :relaxed: That said, there's a possibility I'll be able to audition the HE-1 in a private setting later this year. Fingers crossed it actually happens!

I hear you, I just wish that weren't the design choice. And the issue with the all-in-one is that it certainly contributes to the price tag and inaccessibility for many. I wouldn't have the SGL Sr. at all if I were forced to buy the entire system with the included amp--I just can't shell out that kind of cash for headphones. But anyways, these are me problems lol. Definitely still want to hear it as well. :)

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #2,520 of 3,060
But main point being, I try to be really careful about not imposing the SGL Sr. on people as something they have to hear/buy or as some sort of absolute best, because it all just depends on the person, despite how good I find them to be.

I don't think you need to worry about that. If someone buys an 18K headphone solely based on opinion of some guy on the internet (no offense), that is on them. The majority of us understand that there is a huge subjective element. For example, I don't think the TC comes even remotely close to the HE-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back