Stax SR-X9000
Apr 3, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #2,926 of 2,998
Recently I found a simple mod for the X9000 by covering the outside of the earcups, the effect is quite intersting.

Method:
  • Get pairs of geekria headphones ear covers from amazon.com, size should be 3.2"-4.3" (8-11 cm)
  • Cover the outside of the X9000 earcups
Photo:
x9000-mod.jpg

It results a thicker, punchier, more lively sound signature by sacrificing the absolute openness and airiness of the X9000.
The measured frequency response showed a 2~3db decrease of the 1KHz peak, the rest is mostly unchanged, THD still below 0.5% from 50Hz to 20Khz.
(EQing down the 1KHz peak will not have the same effect as this mod)
The X9000 is a bit tricky when powered by a middle-end amp (700S/727A), soundstage and separation are top tier but imaging is somehow diffused, I think it needs very good preamp + amp to "fill the space", I plan to upgrade but for now I'm not sure which one is the best, this mod might be a good temporary solution.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #2,927 of 2,998
kind of destroys what makes a estat like the x9000 so attractive

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #2,929 of 2,998
I bought mine new in early February and I have serial 205x. But I'm not sure when my unit was produced vs delivered to the dealer. And Stax is known to fuzz the serial numbers. I read a post from a dealer that Stax produced their 1000th X9000 in July 2023, so they probably didn't start counting from 1. Or there was a discontinuity in the serial numbers.

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #2,930 of 2,998
Now that I've owned the X9000 for a month and a half, it's fun to look back on this thread and compare my current impressions with those of others over the years and my own previous impressions. And I've played around with EQ, though I'm not sure if I've found a perfect setting yet.

A recurring theme of impressions is that the X9000 is very sensitive, both to the mastering of the track and to the equipment it's on. On the music, it's so detailed that it changes character substantially based on what's playing, particularly in terms of the forwardness of vocals and lead instruments vs background sounds. I think one can look at this in two ways: either it's :sparkles: revealing :sparkles: or it's just inconsistent.

On chain differences, I can only speak to the chains that I've heard. I find that the X9000 doesn't pair well with my Ferrum Erco. The Erco has a punchy and dynamic sound, but it also brings elements closer in. With the Shangri-la Jr, that was a desirable trait as it compensated for the Jr's recessed midrange, but on the X9000 it combined with the forward vocals to flatten out the spatial image. I've read descriptions of the X9000 having "2D" imaging like sounds are in a line from ear to ear, and I get more of that on the Erco + 006t chain than my K9 Pro + 353x chain. It's like vocals are imaged too wide on the Erco and that vocal width collapses the soundstage forward and the depth is lost. On the K9 Pro, which is by most accounts a "weaker" DAC, I get more sense of a 3D image with proper depth.

I'm curious on the Erco Gen 2 upgrade, as the switch to an advanced apodizing reconstruction filter is supposed to improve the spatial separation and imaging. I hope to get the upgrade moving as soon as Ferrum's US distributor gets back to me. That brings me to my first impressions on the holographic spatial presentation of the X9000; I had done my long demo on a Chord DAC, and I hear that Chord is known for their holographic rendering of sounds. Perhaps my first impression was partially formed by the Hugo TT2's spatial rendering coming through on the X9000.

I'm curious on getting the LTA Z10e for the X9000. I heard it and the upcoming LTA Aero tube DAC at the recent DC meet and I liked what I heard, though of course meet demoes in an unexpectedly small room aren't the best. There was more bass presence on the Z10e compared to my CCS-modded 006t. I've read some people not liking the Z10e, but I didn't find any problem with it. And LTA is based half an hour away from me, so demoing is easy and I might as well support a local business.

-------------------
On EQ, I tried all of the settings that I could find in this thread. I found one preset for a tilted diffuse field tuning done on a 5128, and that preset is bright as heck! I don't find the X9000 to be bright, but this EQ setting will make it bright and sparkly. I don't know if it's actually better though; it feels like turning up the saturation slider on an image; every color pops, but I don't actually get any more detail from it. And it's tonally a tad too bright even for me.

I tried out Royal Navy's EQ preset and I found it to introduce the "hash" that's common with Harman-tuned headphones. It's a rumbly, crinkly sound that permeates the music, kind of like crumpling a plastic wrapper, and I find that it comes from having too much ear gain vs upper treble. The stock X9000 tuning is just as detailed, but without the hash.

I tried out the EQ preset from Dynamo5561 and I thought it was a bit dull. I don't have a problem with the 3K peak; a sine sweep barely registers a peak there to my ears, so while reducing that area did soften the sound a bit, it also dulled it and it didn't actually solve my main issue with the sound which is the overly forward vocals. Also, the massive 10 dB boost in the lowest octave does very little to the sound IMO. Bass did not get meaningfully better. And spectral analysis of my music shows little below 35 Hz anyways, even EDM where electronic percussion generally bottoms out around 40 Hz. So I didn't benefit from all of that sub-bass, nor could I hear it. He mentioned that his EQ was meant to preserve the original character of the X9K while smoothing out the edges, and I agree that's what it does, but I don't need the extra smoothness.

I thought bnb110's EQ preset with the cut at 1100 Hz was the best of the bunch. It didn't actually move vocals that much further out, but it shrank their width and made them "rounded" vs "flat". Like imagine holding a piece of paper flat in front of your face, then bending the edges outwards. That's the difference that cutting the 1.1K region did to vocals. It gave them a bit more spatial depth. I added another small boost at 2100 Hz to prevent the wide 1100 Hz cut from affecting the presence region and that avoided the collateral damage from the midrange cut.

The thing with EQ is that it's easy to make the sound different, but it's hard to make the sound better, at least when starting at such a high level already. All of the EQ presets were clearly different from one another, but compared to no EQ, I found it hard to say that they were improvements to the sound, especially after general level matching. Tonally, I find the X9000 so agreeable stock that it's difficult to find the right spot to EQ. I don't lack for bass, the midrange is tonally fine (just a bit too wide and forward spatially), and the treble is neither too dark nor too bright for me. So I'm trying to EQ technicalities, and that's hard to do. All the better, it means I don't need to be chained to a computer to enjoy the X9000!
I think you hit the nail on the head with different vs better. I used to use a SRM-007t/SR-007MK2/Sr-009 for many years obsessing over EQ, and DIY tweaks but found the Z10e/X9000 at Canjam and fell in love with the synergy of these two exceptionally engineered music makers. I reached my moment of Zen and feel no need to mess with with this pairing. The Z10e has a firm grip on the full range of the signal which the X9000 expertly showcases.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #2,931 of 2,998
I bought mine new in early February and I have serial 205x. But I'm not sure when my unit was produced vs delivered to the dealer. And Stax is known to fuzz the serial numbers. I read a post from a dealer that Stax produced their 1000th X9000 in July 2023, so they probably didn't start counting from 1. Or there was a discontinuity in the serial numbers.
The demo pair when I had audition in Oct 2021 has serial 1101. So I guess STAX uses 4 digits and starts from 1000 or something.

IMG_1125.jpg

Apr 12, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #2,932 of 2,998
that is a really sharp picture!

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #2,933 of 2,998
Finally got the x9000 + Mjonir Novem in today. Heard the x9k back at CanJam in September and I’ve been dreaming of it since. Love the pairing with the Novem and appreciate everyone in the past who discussed and recommend it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 13, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #2,934 of 2,998
Finally got the x9000 + Mjonir Novem in today. Heard the x9k back at CanJam in September and I’ve been dreaming of it since. Love the pairing with the Novem and appreciate everyone in the past who discussed and recommend it.
Why the Novem? What made you pick that amp?

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #2,935 of 2,998
He mentions discussions here recommending it. I'm one of those people that have found the Novem to work well with the X9000. In fact Birgir even designed the Novem with the X9000 in mind, here's a quote from him:

"Now the Novem is a major departure from the other amps on offer, as I normally strive for a neutral presentation with as much performance as is possible for the given design. Here though, it is designed to have a certain sound to suit the newer Stax models such as the SR-X9000 and SR-009S. It is a deceptively simple amp, just four tubes in total, two ECC83’s and two ECC99’s but each part is handpicked to get the right sound. It is neutral amp but it also tames the overly forward nature of these headphones and works with what they do well."

I even preferred the Novem over a DIY T2 when I tested my X9000 on them back to back. I preferred Omega on the T2, which would imply some specific synergy with the Novem and X9000 otherwise I'd have liked both best on T2 or both best on Novem.

Same thing happened to me, I heard X9000 at the 2023 NYC CanJam and it just stuck with me above everything else at the show even a month or two later so I ordered one. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #2,936 of 2,998
I did a search through this thread and saw it recommended numerous times. That combined with the deal I got are the primary reasons. i previously wasn’t going to get the x9k until I could get it plus a blue Hawaii se and I got both the x9k and the Novem for under the price of a BHSE. It might not be my forever amp but now I have plenty of time to upgrade it in the future.

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #2,937 of 2,998
In fact Birgir even designed the Novem with the X9000 in mind
You might be reading too much into that quote. The novem was originally designed before X9000 was even released? It was designed for "newer stax models". X9000 would certainly fall into that category, but to say it was designed specifically for X9000... :)

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #2,938 of 2,998
You might be reading too much into that quote. The novem was originally designed before X9000 was even released? It was designed for "newer stax models". X9000 would certainly fall into that category, but to say it was designed specifically for X9000... :)
"it is designed to have a certain sound to suit the newer Stax models such as the SR-X9000 and SR-009S"

And if we want to continue being pedantic, that quote is from the Novem redesign which was designed AFTER the X9000 released. So yes, it's correct to say it was designed with X9000 in mind. Given he made no change the voicing, he clearly thought the original matched with X9000 as well.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #2,939 of 2,998
The Novem was released in mid-2020, before the X9000 was ever announced (Sept 2021), so it couldn't have been developed specifically for X9K. It must have been a happy coincidence that the sound of the Novem worked well with the it. But might as well advertise the synergy if it exists.

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #2,940 of 2,998
"it is designed to have a certain sound to suit the newer Stax models such as the SR-X9000 and SR-009S"

And if we want to continue being pedantic, that quote is from the Novem redesign which was designed AFTER the X9000 released. So yes, it's correct to say it was designed with X9000 in mind. Given he made no change the voicing, he clearly thought the original matched with X9000 as well.

This is incorrect.
The Novem was designed for the 009. The new Novem and the redesign 2 box are identical sounding.

I was one of the first owners of the Novem/x9k it works well because it hides the thinness the x9k imo portrays. It is a very unique amp. Low power so useless for 007 and crbn. Okay for lambda. At the original pricing it’s impossible to beat for the x9k.

At any pricing ? Well this guy has something to say about that…

IMG_3946.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back