Still need suggestions, I guess.
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Boosh96

New Head-Fier
I'm still looking for the right headphone model to get. Can someone give me some suggestions? I'm looking for entry-level audiophile headphones that cost less than $150 and are good for listening to classic rock. I don't really care if they're open or closed, but either way I'd like a model that at least looks decent. I'm kinda thinking about Sennheiser HD 518's or Grado SR60i's, but I've heard the Sennheiser cans are too laid back for classic rock. I'm open to suggestions, and any help would be GREAT!

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 4
I would start with a pair of Koss Porta Pro headphones.  Honestly they are one of the better sounding headphone especially for the price.

From there you could go to something like the ATH-M50 which is a sealed headphone.  They are great for travel and home listening.

The Grado SR60i is a great headphone for rock and metal, but can be pretty bad for other genres because of its very narrow sound stage and bright sound signature.  I find them pretty uncomfortable, but there are plenty of people out there that like how they fit.  I can enjoy their sound signature.  Much like the Koss Porta Pro the SR60i is one of those great entry level headphones.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 4
JVC HA-S500. Best value under $100. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 4
My suggestion is the Audio Technica ATH-M50. I did a lot of looking when I was in your same situation and I kept coming back to them. It is just my opinion, but I preferred them over similarly priced (or even more expensive) Shure, Bose, and Beyer Dynamic for all around usability/sound. They are a sturdy build, fold down well for travel, are comfortable, can be driven directly from an iPOD or iPhone, and have very good sound for the price, and aren't too expensive. I listen to a lot of classic rock and like these headphones for that purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back