Stream Digital Music to Your laptop with Squeezebox from a pc
Jul 20, 2008 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

alexdemaet

1000+ Head-Fier
[Sorry for being a noob on howto stream music via a wireless network.]

Will I be able to stream music from my music source (personal computer) to a laptop upstairs (this laptop must have a wireless adapter/network card)?

My music source (pc downstairs) is connected to Squeezebox Duet via ethernet. I also have a Linksys wrt54g wireless router connected to my pc via ethernet.

If I were able to stream music from my pc to a laptop, then I could share my music source around the house. I could connect the laptop to my HR amp dac via usb, so it will receive a digital music stream (coming from my music source).
So I can use the laptop as a BALANCED source for my balanced headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 8
I think what you are looking for is SoftSqueeze, a pure-software implementation of a Squeezebox. Run SoftSqueeze on your laptop and you will be able to stream whatever is in your SlimServer (sorry, SqueezeCenter) library to your laptop.

Edit: SoftSqueeze is free, by the way.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 8
In the start I bought the Duet for the nice remote.
Now I see the advantage to stream music to different rooms.
I would like to listen to music from pc downstairs and stream the music from my pc to my HeadRoom headphone amp which is located upstairs.
My pc (where the music is stored on a hard drive) is connected to the Duet via ethernet. The Duet's dac is connected to my Akg rig via coaxial to the Stello dac and so on.
It would be nice to find a sollution to stream the music to my HeadRoom dac via a laptop for example, so I will be able to share the music source over my 2 rigs.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think what you are looking for is SoftSqueeze, a pure-software implementation of a Squeezebox. Run SoftSqueeze on your laptop and you will be able to stream whatever is in your SlimServer (sorry, SqueezeCenter) library to your laptop.

Edit: SoftSqueeze is free, by the way.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
I have read somewhere: "download Softsqeeze onto your laptop, and it acts like a software squeezebox, that'll do the trick."
smily_headphones1.gif
!!

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 8
If I can find an inexpensive Squeezebox receiver, then I dont have to worry about finding a +/- 500 euro laptop. I believe that I will be able to stream the digital music from my pc downstairs to a classic Squeezebox upstairs. I think it doesn't necessarily have to be a Duet receiver, right? Let's say, if I can find one on eBay for +/- 100 euro. It would be a little bit crazy to buy a laptop simply as an audio receiver.

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 8
I believe my HeadRoom's dac will be able to get a balanced signal out of digital music stream (coming from the Squeezebox downstairs to the Sb upstairs, the SB upstairs's digital out is connected to the HR dac's digital in).

Which dac would be better - the HeadRoom's Home dac (not the Max dac), the Squeezebox Duet's dac, or the Squeezebox Classic's dac?

If I would want to bypass the HeadRoom's Home dac, would the Squeezebox's dac act as a BALANCED source (bypass the HR's dac, use the SB's dac and connect the SB's dac via analog RCA to HR's RCA in)?

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Since you already have have a Duet, why not just buy a second squeezebox receiver and put it upstairs? You don't need another controller. The one you have from the duet will work fine. The Slim Devices (sorry..Logitech) site shows the receiver as $149 (american). I have no idea about shipping to Europe.

Bazile

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the advice.
I bought a Squeezebox (SB3 Classic) for the price of SB3 (Duet) receiver without remote. My pc with all my music is (concurrently) shared over a wireless network by the dual SB3 receivers. It's awesome, I like the receivers very much! Btw, the Squeezebox Duet (with remote) costs 299 euro and the Squeezebox Classic (also with remote) costs 199 euro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back