Street Style 'phones' with decent sound and portability...
Apr 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jdutch101

New Head-Fier
Hello, I just joined this forum and in typical newbie fashion, I'm going to ask my question, even though I'm fairly certain it's been beaten to death, like a dead horse, several times already. The only saving grace in my opinion is that the topic of which I'm inquiring is somewhat old now, and the googling I've done has produced lots of results that are antiquated enough that all the external links and such are no longer "there" or the products don't exist.

So anyway, I am looking for a set of over the ear or "street" style headphones to use while out and about, either on my bike, or running or whatever. I know that in-ear buds are very popular at the moment, and I have a feeling that many of you may advise me to look for those instead. The reason I want over the ear version is that I have sensitive sinus issues, and prolonged use of in ear buds has caused me uncomfortable sinus issues in the past. Basically I'd like something smaller than my Sony MDR-7506's that I can "take outside and be active" with, without worrying too much about damaging them. I'd also appreciate it if they had decent sound quality. And since I've got an iPhone, an in-line mic/controls would be a nice perk, but not necessary. Price is a bit of an obsticle, but I'd be willing to pay somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100$, but not more.

I hope I'm not asking too much here, and as I said, I have spent some time looking myself and what I've found is that it's no longer a popular style. In other words, companies are not focusing on them anymore.

Thanks

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 8
The PMX680 is getting very good reviews including the big boss here on Head-fi(Jude), Headphonia, Amazon, etc. There is an PMX680i with iphone controls and they are built with exercise in mind(Kevlar cabling, sweat resistance, etc.). Runners/bikers seem to love them FWIR.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-adidas-pmx-680i.php

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 8
They don't need to have a lot of noise-canceling, I just want something to run with. My big studio cans are pretty kick ass for home use with my computer/audio setup or with my keyboard. I want something with decent sound (because I'm a singer) and something that is "mobile". I also looked at the Sennheiser PMX90's.

May 9, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Hello, I just joined this forum and in typical newbie fashion, I'm going to ask my question, even though I'm fairly certain it's been beaten to death, like a dead horse, several times already. The only saving grace in my opinion is that the topic of which I'm inquiring is somewhat old now, and the googling I've done has produced lots of results that are antiquated enough that all the external links and such are no longer "there" or the products don't exist.

So anyway, I am looking for a set of over the ear or "street" style headphones to use while out and about, either on my bike, or running or whatever. I know that in-ear buds are very popular at the moment, and I have a feeling that many of you may advise me to look for those instead. The reason I want over the ear version is that I have sensitive sinus issues, and prolonged use of in ear buds has caused me uncomfortable sinus issues in the past. Basically I'd like something smaller than my Sony MDR-7506's that I can "take outside and be active" with, without worrying too much about damaging them. I'd also appreciate it if they had decent sound quality. And since I've got an iPhone, an in-line mic/controls would be a nice perk, but not necessary. Price is a bit of an obsticle, but I'd be willing to pay somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100$, but not more.

I hope I'm not asking too much here, and as I said, I have spent some time looking myself and what I've found is that it's no longer a popular style. In other words, companies are not focusing on them anymore.

Thanks

If  "out and about, either on my bike, or running or whatever" or ""take outside and be active" will be on roads then you definitely don't want to be isolated from any sounds that could warn you of potential Lethal Danger - I.E - Traffic .

Using anything which blocks your hearing whilst being on or near public  roads is .........Stupid!
eek.gif
  including driving .

When I'm in a environment where my sense of hearing helps keep me safe I only use open styles of ear phones .

Yuin G2a offer great responsive sound for clip around the ear phones and are very comfortable & ultra light weight.Bass can be a little weak for dance music ,depending on fit, though the ear phones drivers do offer plenty of bass, so just amplify bass using EQ .You will hear that they provide a very satisfying audio quality for "street style" ear phones.

Of course if the traffic noise is so loud that you can't hear the music then there is a problem .

Enjoyable music listening V's Safety .

Move to the country or vote for a political party that will reduce Noise pollution
wink.gif

May 9, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 8
I would recommend the AiAiAi tracks. But for all its plusses, it doesnt stay on the head as well as it should.

Therefore, please go to your nearest electronics store and try out the AKG 420. Their comfort..  is amazing and they're within budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back